DeSantis nearing compromise on cruise vaccination requirements

16 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

Most people dont have a problem with the CDC by and large.  Up to the last year I didn't.  In fact, i held them in higher regard because they were always an impartial steady hand.  Covid changed all of that....

I'd say something other than Covid changed all of that, but I'm not going to point fingers.

Speaking of which, if the government would keep its fingers out of places it doesn't belong (politicizing things), we'd be a lot better off.

If science had been given an appropriate voice early on, we'd probably be in a different place. Though, there's no telling what that place would look like!

That said, I support government oversight/regulation to protect our health and wellbeing. If we leave that totally up to corporations, it's the fox guarding the henhouse...

Tom

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Just an FYI:  Last night(6/4),  local news (Tampa Bay) had coverage on the Mardi Gras entering port. The blurb ended with the statement that cruises will be fully vaccinated. 

Honestly I dont think this is true. I get it the cruiselines prefer vaccinated.. it also came out rcl is doing unvaccinated cruises. They hope everyone is vaccinated but if not covid testing will be required.

Carnival and rcl arent throwing off booked kids and doing mock cruises in order to flip to vaccinated. I did hear christine Duffy. ...I'm just saying rcl policy seems to be leaking out and people are in a uproar about vaccines not being required. At least the vocal majority who posts are in a uproar. 

I think if they were throwing the kids off we would know by now.  Not going to happen, mark my words. The test cruises will go on. I wouldn't argue, just say I've been saying this all along, and now the rcl policy seems to have leaked, unvaccinated..common sense. 

I'm not going to debate with those who want to debate good or bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Honestly I dont think this is true. I get it the cruiselines prefer vaccinated.. it also came out rcl is doing unvaccinated cruises. They hope everyone is vaccinated but if not covid testing will be required.

Carnival and rcl arent throwing off booked kids and doing mock cruises in order to flip to vaccinated. I did hear christine Duffy. ...I'm just saying rcl policy seems to be leaking out and people are in a uproar about vaccines not being required. At least the vocal majority who posts are in a uproar. 

I think if they were throwing the kids off we would know by now.  Not going to happen, mark my words. The test cruises will go on. I wouldn't argue, just say I've been saying this all along, and now the rcl policy seems to have leaked, unvaccinated..common sense. 

I'm not going to debate with those who want to debate good or bad.

The only thing is that Christine stated they were doing cruises with just vaccinated people.  She said it in her interview.  She also said they are working on other things.  To me, that means the first few Carnival cruises will be fully vaccinated.  Whether that is for just July, or July and August, or whatever, we don't know.  But she said that they will be vaccinated.  If she turns around and changes that, it is really very bad communication.  

My prediction is that July and August will be vaccinated and then they will open them up to everyone.  It's just a guess, but that is the way Christine made it sound by clearly stating they were starting with vaccinated cruises.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

The only thing is that Christine stated they were doing cruises with just vaccinated people.  She said it in her interview.  She also said they are working on other things.  To me, that means the first few Carnival cruises will be fully vaccinated.  Whether that is for just July, or July and August, or whatever, we don't know.  But she said that they will be vaccinated.  If she turns around and changes that, it is really very bad communication.  

My prediction is that July and August will be vaccinated and then they will open them up to everyone.  It's just a guess, but that is the way Christine made it sound by clearly stating they were starting with vaccinated cruises.

As I said I listened too and my take away is she wanted vaccinated..not that it would be a policy, want and prefer isnt the same as this will be the policy .. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sm3ds said:

Since Royal just announced they will not mandate vaccines. I’m going to go out on a limb and say carnival will not either. 

I dont understand how folks can say carnival is going the test cruise route and still insist vaccines will be required. Just wait for the policy to come out I keep saying when people argue.

• Like 1

Cruisers traveling to Florida ports may be more likely to catch COVID from local Floridans they encounter on their way to and from a port than on a cruise ship with 95% vaxxed passengers.

Florida seems to have plateaued at about 38% fully vaxxed population, and many who haven't been vaxxed are also anti maskers.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont understand how folks can say carnival is going the test cruise route and still insist vaccines will be required. Just wait for the policy to come out I keep saying when people argue.

Yep ---  Que Sera, Sera

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That said, I support government oversight/regulation to protect our health and wellbeing.

I believe we're saying the same thing - certainly not disagreeing with any of your points. 

Per the quoted section, the devil's in the details and that's where the rub is.  Gonna venture to say we may not agree on the details, but I appreciate that you recognize the difference.

• Like 1

Everything is subject to interpretation. I just listened to it again and she says: 

Christine Duffy:
(Regarding Covid policy)

"Well, you know, we've continued to work with CDC and other federal agencies on exactly what requirements we have to be able to restart cruising and while there is a path for unvaccinated, we really don't think that the protocols will work to allow us to deliver the guest experience that we want to be able to do. So, I think, right now, it does look like people will have to be vaccinated.
But again, the great news is 50% of the country, adults, have been vaccinated. We've seen such progress made in short order, so we're still hopeful that we'll be able to further evolve and see these guidelines that will allow, especially families sailing with children under 12, who are not eligible to get a vaccine.

(Regarding children under 12)

Well, we're still working through that with CDC and again, while we don't have any definitive answers today that we can share, we are optimistic that we'll eventually be able to welcome, of course, all of our families with kids onboard.

(Regarding proof of vaccination)

Well, we're working with some technology that may allow passengers to upload their vaccine information ahead of the cruise, but there's always the old fashioned way where people will arrive at the terminal and have to show their proof of vaccination.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Christine Duffy:
(Regarding Covid policy)

"Well, you know, we've continued to work with CDC and other federal agencies on exactly what requirements we have to be able to restart cruising and while there is a path for unvaccinated, we really don't think that the protocols will work to allow us to deliver the guest experience that we want to be able to do. So, I think, right now, it does look like people will have to be vaccinated.
But again, the great news is 50% of the country, adults, have been vaccinated. We've seen such progress made in short order, so we're still hopeful that we'll be able to further evolve and see these guidelines that will allow, especially families sailing with children under 12, who are not eligible to get a vaccine.

Let's hope that holds - at least for the first several weeks. Once they've got many (relatively) issue free sailings under their belts, then hopefully they can open it up for everyone.

I can tell you, if Carnival comes out with a required PCR/Nasal Swab test - even for those of us who can document our vaccination status, it will be a tough sell for Cheryl!! As far as I'm concerned - I'll do whatever is asked of me in order to get onboard. But we sail together, or we don't sail!

Tom

• Like 2

Carnival should quit flip flipping and make a decision, at least for July cruises.  First they say no vaccinations, now they say vaccinations for now.  But her statement still gives room to flip back.  We are vaccinated, so we can sail either way.  It must be frustrating for people with small children who may need to make other plans and have a lot of money invested in their cruise.

For people on the fence with vaccinations, they still have time.  Pfizer is one shot, wait three weeks, then the second. J&J is one and done.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 3:06 PM, BlerkOne said:

If true, you can be sure it is so state and local governments can collect their share of gambling proceeds, and sales tax (and perhaps other tax) on Duty Free stores. Duty free does not mean tax free - ask Texas.

That's why I haven't sailed out of Galveston since 2014.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

LOL - I am just reporting what was stated on the local news.

Just like I did when the local news stated cruises were cancelled out of Florida ports through August 2020 and I went out on a limb and said, IMO, that cruises would be canceled through December and that January -March 2021 also looked shaky.

There were those who immediately went on the attack and said not happening.

20 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - I am just reporting what was stated on the local news.

Just like I did when the local news stated cruises were cancelled out of Florida ports through August 2020 and I went out on a limb and said, IMO, that cruises would be canceled through December and that January -March 2021 also looked shaky.

There were those who immediately went on the attack and said not happening.

Well this is a case of christine duffy on camera who wants vaccinated... but says working with cdc to get kids onboard.  ... I get it and heard what she said .. and the ifs ands and butts  .... it's the we are still working with the cdc. .. it's already june and wishing and hoping the cdc bends part of what she said.

I'd like vaccinated too in a perfect world.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Cruisers traveling to Florida ports may be more likely to catch COVID from local Floridans they encounter on their way to and from a port than on a cruise ship with 95% vaxxed passengers.

Florida seems to have plateaued at about 38% fully vaxxed population, and many who haven't been vaxxed are also anti maskers.

Yeah, the whole 50% of the country being vaccinated isn't really split evenly. Here in CA, 70%+ of adults have had at least one shot and those numbers should shoot up soon since a lot of people decided to get vaccinated due to the Jun 15th full reopening and not trusting others to be honest. Employees are also wanting to get vaccinated in order to go mask free at work. We do have pockets of resistance who believe in conspiracies or that they can pray it away. They better look at what happened to Pastor Paul Van Noy. Prayer is great but if I'm going out into the snow, I surely won't go in shorts and a T-shirt and pray to keep warm/survive....lol. Encouraging people to cast their care is dangerous. The Good Lord gave us a brain for a reason.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival tends to speak out both sides of their mouth, but I agree with I don’t think they’ll will be requiring vaccines especially now with Royals announcement. 
I don’t think Disney will either. They are very embedded in Florida and I don’t see them ruffling any feathers. They didn’t go after the gov of Cali for keeping them shut down. They are not going to challenge DeSantis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

We do have pockets of resistance who believe in conspiracies   

(Precursor:  I received the experimental therapy).  That being said, if the truth comes out, some of these so-called 'conspiracies' may make the conspiracy haters look rather silly.  Have to admit...I love our country, and fear our gov't.

I'm just tired of the back/forth....let people decide if they want to take it, set the protocols, and if sailing appealing, then sail.  If it isn't, there's also a choice that can be made.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bucfan2 said:

(Precursor:  I received the experimental therapy).  That being said, if the truth comes out, some of these so-called 'conspiracies' may make the conspiracy haters look rather silly.  Have to admit...I love our country, and fear our gov't.

I'm just tired of the back/forth....let people decide if they want to take it, set the protocols, and if sailing appealing, then sail.  If it isn't, there's also a choice that can be made.

The problem is that they have been proven wrong over and over again, that is the truth. Yet the nonsense continues from Qpublicans and evangelicals alike. We had a large outbreak at a church near Clear Lake because folks were told simply to "believe" and forget about using your brain. E.W Jackson, Bob Bryant, John Hagee, London Spradlin, Gerald O. Glen, etc etc. When you simply believe that you are right and "hope" that you will eventually be proven right, in the face of mounting evidence that you are wrong and backed by science, it may be time to consider that you may be wrong or going about it wrong. Being skeptical is one thing but this is just dangerous manipulation of people at this point. Matthew 23:15 sums it up best IMO.        

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

First they say no vaccinations, now they say vaccinations for now.

Carnival NEVER said no vaccinations. Either there were no plans to, or not preferred to require. Everyone would prefer the pandemic never happened/is happening. Most of the public had an option to get vaccinated and failed that test (50% is still an F)

Carnival has only said vaccinations are required for Alaska. That did say something.

Carnival has not said vaccines are required for other cruises, yet. It certainly looks like that is their plan now.

As always, the pandemic makes the schedule.

• Like 1

Thankfully, we live in a country where we are all free to choose whether or not we want to receive an emergency use vaccination.  It seems to be completely ignored that people who have had covid develop immunities that may or may not be better than the vaccine.  There have been studies that suggest those covid infection immunities may even last a lifetime.  There are other studies suggesting people who have recovered from covid don't need a second dose of the vaccine.

Whatever people choose, it's their decision.  That angers people who want to control everyone because they believe their opinion is the only opinion.  They believe only they should have the freedom to decide and their decision should be forced on everyone.  Anyway, live and let live.  People are free to protect themselves in the way they see fit.

I actually think the mask police people are disappointed that they can't scream at people to wear masks anywhere now that things are opening up.  It must be frustrating for them to see people being permitted to be free.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Thankfully, we live in a country where we are all free to choose whether or not we want to receive an emergency use vaccination.  It seems to be completely ignored that people who have had covid develop immunities that may or may not be better than the vaccine.  There have been studies that suggest those covid infection immunities may even last a lifetime.  There are other studies suggesting people who have recovered from covid don't need a second dose of the vaccine.

and some likely have no or limited immunity. Just as some who receive the vaccine have no antibodies develop. Are they immune because of T cells? Nobody knows - yet. Better to be safe than play Russian roulette.

People are free to protect themselves in the way they see fit.

There are limits. You certainly are NOT free to endanger others.

I actually think the mask police people are disappointed that they can't scream at people to wear masks anywhere now that things are opening up.  It must be frustrating for them to see people being permitted to be free.

See above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The problem is that they have been proven wrong over and over again, that is the truth. Yet the nonsense continues from Qpublicans and evangelicals alike. We had a large outbreak at a church near Clear Lake because folks were told simply to "believe" and forget about using your brain. E.W Jackson, Bob Bryant, John Hagee, London Spradlin, Gerald O. Glen, etc etc. When you simply believe that you are right and "hope" that you will eventually be proven right, in the face of mounting evidence that you are wrong and backed by science, it may be time to consider that you may be wrong or going about it wrong. Being skeptical is one thing but this is just dangerous manipulation of people at this point. Matthew 23:15 sums it up best IMO.        

Stop attacking churches!  You've shared your thoughts, now let it lie.  We've been meeting in person again since last June with no outbreaks.  We took lots of precautions early on.  For the last few months, we've been back to normal with all our groups meeting in room settings.  Another church our size was back to normal back last August, again with no outbreaks.  Schools here have been in person since last September, continued with sports and just had a normal graduation.  Simply shutting down everything didn't stop virus from spreading.  The virus still ran its course in areas that completely shut down with massive restrictions and in areas that had very limited restrictions.  BTW, you have very much taken you Matthew quote out of context.

• Like 8