We've decided to give Celebrity's Edge a try..maybe.. advice please!!

canadarocks

We're 4 star Mariners with HAL and Platinum with Princess, but we've never ever tried Celebrity. After our 21 day cruise on the Nieuw Statendam in February 2021,  there's a 7 night Celebrity Edge cruise that we're considering. We're hard-core Deck 4 aft balcony HAL enthusiasts, so I'd like something that compares if possible. 

So should we even be considering this? Any suggestions for a cabin if we should be? 

• Like 1

• canadarocks changed the title to We've decided to give Celebrity's Edge a try..maybe.. advice please!!

Go for it!  We're 5-star with HAL, but have sailed Celebrity 4 or 5 times and are booked on their newest ship, the Apex, for this winter.  We've sailed the Silhouette and some of their older ships.  Obviously we like Celebrity or we wouldn't keep booking with them (granted not as often as with HAL, but we like them a lot).  

We like HAL's longer European itineraries and wonderful laundry options for even those who aren't high Mariners.  On Celebrity we book shorter cruises because getting laundry done for someone like us at the bottom of the pile costs an arm and a leg. 😉  I've heard that they offer "deals" on some cruises, but we've never had that experience.  

We've found the service to be great, entertainment excellent, and the food "ok" IMHO.  We like aft balconies too.  Sorry I don't know enough about the Edge's cabins to help you there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been many years since we were on Celebrity, it was OK but they have just never seem to be where we wanted to go and or sailing out of a port that was easy for us to get to at the time of year we would want to do it. It also makes it hard when you are well vested in three Cruise Lines already and to try to start up with a 4th. But if I were to try it, it would be the Celebrity Edge. I have been following Captain Kate and her Cat Bug Naked for quite a while on Instragram. I am a cat lover plus when she is not on the ship she makes her home right here where I live. I hear she is a great Captain and her Crew and Passengers love her. 

• Thanks 1

We love Celebrity.  Haven't sailed on the Edge, but there is a ton of into on the Celebrity board about her and about the staterooms, so I'd encourage you to read over there, and ask questions.  The ship is somewhat "controversial" in terms of its new stateroom category called infinite verandas, which some have described as an oceanview with a window that opens, not a true balcony.  (Nothing that would interest me.)   Not all the staterooms are like that by any means, so do your homework carefully in terms of what you book.  

Also, there's a sticky at the top of the Celebrity forum (linked below) called "Edge Class Cabin Information Compilation," in which many folks who have sailed on the Edge have reported on their specific cabins, and some have included photos.  (These stickies exist for all categories of Celebrity ships, and are very useful.)

I hope that's helpful.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, canadarocks said:

there's a 7 night Celebrity Edge cruise that we're considering. We're hard-core Deck 4 aft balcony HAL enthusiasts, so I'd like something that compares if possible. 

So should we even be considering this? Any suggestions for a cabin if we should be? 

We have cruised on Edge but if you like balconies, this may not be the ship for you.  Just imagine that your balcony is part of your cabin with a window enclosure at the end.  It's a cabin with a window that opens.  We loved the ship though.

We are long time Celebrity fans - only sailed with HAL a few times. We did sail on The Edge in Nov. 2019 before the Covid hit. We really liked the older ships.

Pay attention to what is said about the "infinite verandahs" and see if you think you would like that. They are different, more like a sun room. In the end, we were OK with ours - there may be some more traditional options, probably not many.

We have always thought X had better food than HAL - very good beef and lamb options - fish and seafood, not so much. On the Edge, X introduced the four different main dining rooms - each with a different theme, altho much of the food offered is the same, with a few specialites specific to the various restaurants. We really liked that and did anytime dining trying each of the four. Make reservations if you can. Not sure how all will be operating after the Covid.

I think with The Edge (and Apex) X is really trying to appeal to younger cruises. We find HAL more refined - we like the art,  fresh flowers, and historical context. But any day on either line is a very, very good day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Damcruiser said:

We have cruised on Edge but if you like balconies, this may not be the ship for you.  Just imagine that your balcony is part of your cabin with a window enclosure at the end.  It's a cabin with a window that opens.  We loved the ship though.

This statement puzzles me.  We have a Sunset Verandah (aft) booked on the  Apex this November -- absolutely no problem getting something other than an Infinity Verandah. 

We have taken a Celebrity cruise on the Equinox a few years ago into the Caribbean.  It was a beautiful ship with nice cabins.  Our cabin steward was a lovely young gal.  But we were disappointed in the Music venues and unhappy with the availability of tables & chairs around the pool.  And if I remember right, the pool was ice cold--not favorable for Floridians in September.  Food was fine and they did offer shrimp cocktail every evening in the MDR.  Servers were OK-nothing special.  Shows were OK, but they encouraged people to record and put on social media so during the shows phones were held up somewhat blocking your view and annoying.  AND the bar staff was continuing trying to get us to purchase a drink package right up to the last day.  (We don't drink too much mostly 1 or 2 Cokes per day.)  OF course, we are 5 Star Mariners with HAL traveling well over 1000 days with them and we are GREAT fans of HAL.   We have been on other cruise lines and they all offer nice services to their guest, but our favorite line is by far-HOLLAND AMERICA!!!

I would trumpet the other post about the so-called Infinite Balconies on the Edge.  They are not really verandas but rather an extension of the cabin which is accessed the opening of a large glass window/door.  Some folks love these things and many do not like them at all.  If you are used to the large aft (or other) verandas on another line or type ship you might not enjoy these cabins on the Edge.  There are some better alternatives and many Edge fans would suggest that the ship is designed to favor the "Suite Life in a big way.   In other words you might want to spend the extra money and book a small suite that has a real balcony.  As to comparing the two lines (we are Elite Plus with Celebrity and 5 Star Mariners with HAL) there are pros and cons with both lines.  But you can expect X ships to be more alive then most HAL ships with lots of folks enjoying adult beverages (most have beverage plans) and staying awake until after the hour that HAL vessels are in freezer mode.  The alternative restaurants on Celebrity can be quite nice and innovative (my dead dog is more innovative then the Pinnacle).

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2021 at 7:57 PM, canadarocks said:

We're 4 star Mariners with HAL and Platinum with Princess, but we've never ever tried Celebrity. After our 21 day cruise on the Nieuw Statendam in February 2021,  there's a 7 night Celebrity Edge cruise that we're considering. We're hard-core Deck 4 aft balcony HAL enthusiasts, so I'd like something that compares if possible. 

just an FYI if you have Tik Tok, look for Captain Kate, she is the Captain of the Edge, and brings all sorts of updates about X and sailings.  She is so very interesting

• Like 1

I haven't cruised Edge, but I'm just here to say I think you made a great decision.  Celebrity is a great cruise line....far greater than HAL in many areas, in my opinion.  Enjoy your cruise.  🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I would trumpet the other post about the so-called Infinite Balconies on the Edge.  They are not really verandas but rather an extension of the cabin which is accessed the opening of a large glass window/door.  Some folks love these things and many do not like them at all.  If you are used to the large aft (or other) verandas on another line or type ship you might not enjoy these cabins on the Edge.  There are some better alternatives and many Edge fans would suggest that the ship is designed to favor the "Suite Life in a big way.   In other words you might want to spend the extra money and book a small suite that has a real balcony.  As to comparing the two lines (we are Elite Plus with Celebrity and 5 Star Mariners with HAL) there are pros and cons with both lines.  But you can expect X ships to be more alive then most HAL ships with lots of folks enjoying adult beverages (most have beverage plans) and staying awake until after the hour that HAL vessels are in freezer mode.  The alternative restaurants on Celebrity can be quite nice and innovative (my dead dog is more innovative then the Pinnacle).

Hank

Hello, have to agree with you again (not stalking). X was our preferred line and we would recommend it highly. As balcony cruisers (concierge or Aqua class) the limited traditional balconies on the new X ships leave us cold and looking for other alternatives (MSC, HAL, now Princess again).

I also bemoan the drive towards dedicated suite areas that take up alot of the ship. It looks like NCL (of course the pioneers), and now X and Princess are adopting this.  Ironically I think the suite life is attractive but not enough value for me to sign up for,,,,,except for MSC which has the very nice dedicated Yacht Club and offers it at a more attractive price. JMHO

Several of our friend love the Edge / Apex class ships. Just be aware that the "infinite veranda" is not separate outdoor balcony space. It's kind of a slide out, big window. There's not an actual veranda, per se.