LIVE Virtuosa 05/06/21 the first 7 night sailing.

kernow

17 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Was it as bad as you thought Carole or was the cabin position ok?

Well, it was certainly a lot further from the lifts than my original cabin, however as my husband pointed out, just meant we could eat more! 😂. The best thing about it was it was really quiet, I’m not even sure there was anyone actually in the cabins past ours. As a result, we slept like logs 😴😁

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

We’ve had lots of cabins near the lifts but still never heard them or noise from them. Hopefully you’ll just find it convenient be near them. Nice and easy to find too rather than walking down endless corridors! Have a fab cruise and keep us posted if you can! 

That is worth knowing. 🤩

I have had some bad experiences in hotels being near lifts, either hearing the motors through the walls (I always request a high floor), the Bing-Bong as they arrive all night or rowdy people falling out of them.
For this reason I have always avoided the lifts location so your experience is worth knowing.

I tend to select a room at the stern or bow where there is little through traffic, I know people say you get more movement but I don't think modern ships suffer this much.

On our last MSC, on the last night we had a late checkout and left the do-no-disturb sign on which just encouraged kids to bang on the door and run.

It was a busy corridor and in fairness it was only on departure day we had the problem, only day we turned on the do-not-disturb light too 🤔

I also tend to avoid interconnecting doors.

3 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

ah knock-n-run

my wife and I enjoyed doing that on our honeymoon 30 years ago - we'd booked in to a Pontins in Jersey (long gone now) and it was full of older people. you could do around 20 doors before anyone managed to open one lol

we did it on a Royal Caribbean ship too around 5 years ago - we were both in our late-40s hahaha - once a kid always a kid lol

SORRY (tee-hee not really)

What?!? Are you serious!?!? 🤪

Playing ‘Knock out Ginger’ at your age?!?!

Well! Really! 
(haven’t tried that since I was a kid! We used to walk past someone’s house after school, that came directly onto a pavement and it had a notice on it saying “Please Knock the door Loudly” so we did….every time we walked past it! )

It never occurred to me that people would do that as adults!

What I AM tempted to do is alter peoples breakfast requests hanging on their cabin door -so they get it delivered at 6am not 10am! 😇🤣

3 hours ago, CaroleC said:

Well, it was certainly a lot further from the lifts than my original cabin, however as my husband pointed out, just meant we could eat more! 😂. The best thing about it was it was really quiet, I’m not even sure there was anyone actually in the cabins past ours. As a result, we slept like logs 😴😁

We have always slept well and had quiet rooms on ships. Only once we were upgraded to a cabin below the sports deck and we heard squeak squeak squeak. Not mice but peoples ‘trainers’ on the floor of basketball pitch above us!! Took us a while to work out what it was. As the upgrade was free and from inside to balcony we just felt glad to have had the bigger room.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Yeah, we thought of that - but didn't want the crew to get told off.

OMG confession time............................

Another good one is for those cabins that like to cover their door with magnets and decorations.

MOVE THEM to the cabin 2 doors away lol

Exactly the reason why I didn’t do it! 😇

Magnet idea is funny!

it reminds me, when I worked in a big office and it was a birthday or a reason for a card to go around the office to be signed….I always added kisses after a bosses name! Not only did the recipient think it was strange but anyone else in the office who noticed it as the card went on it’s rounds! 😂still makes me titter! I had one of those multicolour pens so would match the colour! 

I do like the magnet idea!

In a similar vein, a few years back on an RCI cruise we were left an invitation in our post holder to a ‘Suite Party’ in one of the venues on board. We thought it was a bit strange as we were in a standard balcony cabin. On closer examination the envelope was marked with the number for the cabin directly above ours which was a suite. The party included dancing and a buffet plus drinks all evening. We didn’t have a DP on this particular cruise so we were very tempted to attend as apparently all we needed to do was show up with the invite. We chickened out though!! 🤣🤣

Hi, we are really looking forward to sailing on MSC Virtuosa this Saturday and were hoping you might be able to answer a question for us. Unfortunately we have got a late check in time and we are really hoping to get a couple of hours to relax up on deck in the pool and hot tub before trying to unpack and get down to a late sitting for dinner in the restaurant. It might be a stretch but the only thing that might hinder us doing this is this new muster drill. Obviously we have never done this before and were just wondering how that worked? I have read that you have to watch it in your cabin on the tv and then ring a number on your phone. But can you do it in your own time on the first day or do they give you a time to do it on your paperwork or maybe call you over the tannoy to do it at a certain time? Thank you

7 minutes ago, Flashbax said:

Hi, we are really looking forward to sailing on MSC Virtuosa this Saturday and were hoping you might be able to answer a question for us. Unfortunately we have got a late check in time and we are really hoping to get a couple of hours to relax up on deck in the pool and hot tub before trying to unpack and get down to a late sitting for dinner in the restaurant. It might be a stretch but the only thing that might hinder us doing this is this new muster drill. Obviously we have never done this before and were just wondering how that worked? I have read that you have to watch it in your cabin on the tv and then ring a number on your phone. But can you do it in your own time on the first day or do they give you a time to do it on your paperwork or maybe call you over the tannoy to do it at a certain time? Thank you

Everyone does it at the same time, they announce it like a normal muster with a 15 minute countdown. I can't remember the actual time, maybe 4 or 4.30. You watch it on TV in your cabin, call the number they give you at the end and then report to your muster station where they just tick you off. This was by deck number so everyone is not there all together.

I know we had arranged to meet up with friends at the Horizon bar straight afterwards and we were there just after 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, Huntingdon1701 said:

Insane, given the ability to drive across the border. If they do bus passengers to Liverpool, it would really show up the Government as fools. 

yep people can travel by rail, plane or car in uk but a cruise ship can't get in ... absolutely bonkers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I am cruising said:

yep people can travel by rail, plane or car in uk but a cruise ship can't get in ... absolutely bonkers

After allowing Thousands of Scots to travel to London with no ticket for the England v Scotland game, Sturgeon has now told people from Liverpool they cannot travel to Scotland! What a Hypocrite. No one will listen to her anyway.

1 hour ago, I am cruising said:

I am cruising, unfortunately no offer to travel to Liverpool or any other port it was either cancel or rebook and pay the extra. At the moment there's only 600 passengers onboard the ship so the passengers cancelled from Greenock last week could have been on the cruise if they wanted to travel.

Sidari it's certainly hypocritical of her, no travel to Manchester either considering Dundee has an infection rate of 322 per 100,000 people and Manchester is 329, she hasn't told anyone to stay away from Dundee.

I'm confused by her decisions now which are making people really angry, especially after 20,000 Scotland fans went to London without any testing 😠

Edited by NightWoman
  • Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 3:21 PM, tring said:

Whilst Fred had told me on Monday they have had no clarification, I did get the impression the SG have been totally unclear with their intentions, and possibly had no idea themselves what they were going to do.  SG could have made yesterday's criteria decision long ago, or at least said no cruises until a certain date/stage of relaxation.  Sounds like  complete lack of clarity on both sides though as I doubt MSC had anything definite if Fred does not for later dates.  Cancellation until 23rd, is still pretty near for MSC so they could cut their losses and not go there at all this summer.  Only time will tell.

We would be very grateful regards any info re Golden Horizon.  Thank you very much.

Tring, you will probably have seen the info from Tradewinds about Golden Horizon, their original programme through July and August has been cancelled, and has been replaced with four new voyages from Dover, all essentially staycation floats covering 4, 5 and 7 nights.

2 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Tring, you will probably have seen the info from Tradewinds about Golden Horizon, their original programme through July and August has been cancelled, and has been replaced with four new voyages from Dover, all essentially staycation floats covering 4, 5 and 7 nights.

Thank you.  Yes I had seen it and also had an email from our agent sent about 5.10pm on Friday.  I knew I had made that comment to you, but could not remember where + we were away last week arriving back late Friday and still trying to get straight. 

We are not impressed with Dover as a departure port in the school holidays, since it is particularly difficult to get to with having to negotiate The Dartford Crossing or train journeys via London, so we have opted out.  Sad for you as miles away from Scotland and the original itinerary would have been great for you.  I hope you manage to find an alternative, with or without Tradewinds.

45 minutes ago, tring said:

Thank you.  Yes I had seen it and also had an email from our agent sent about 5.10pm on Friday.  I knew I had made that comment to you, but could not remember where + we were away last week arriving back late Friday and still trying to get straight. 

We are not impressed with Dover as a departure port in the school holidays, since it is particularly difficult to get to with having to negotiate The Dartford Crossing or train journeys via London, so we have opted out.  Sad for you as miles away from Scotland and the original itinerary would have been great for you.  I hope you manage to find an alternative, with or without Tradewinds.

I should have been working with Golden Horizon when she arrived in Edinburgh, assisting with the turnaround of passengers.   Another one off the list.  Marella Explorer / Explorer 2 and Spirit of Discovery hanging by a thread. 

I've changed my MSC Virtuosa cruise.   Greenock would have been so easy, but I'm now going from Liverpool.  Having already had four cancelled since all this started, I'm prepared to have a cruise cancelled due to covid levels, but not because my government is at war with cruise ships, England in general, Andy Burnham or anything else.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

I should have been working with Golden Horizon when she arrived in Edinburgh, assisting with the turnaround of passengers.   Another one off the list.  Marella Explorer / Explorer 2 and Spirit of Discovery hanging by a thread. 

I've changed my MSC Virtuosa cruise.   Greenock would have been so easy, but I'm now going from Liverpool.  Having already had four cancelled since all this started, I'm prepared to have a cruise cancelled due to covid levels, but not because my government is at war with cruise ships, England in general, Andy Burnham or anything else.  

Yes sad times altogether and when things seemed to be getting better.  TV now saying Boris is warning against a bad winter as well.

We had our MSC from Liverpool cancelled last Friday, the same day as Tradewinds.  We have booked a Fred for the 12th July, but also decided to go up to Greenock as per our booked train and hotel, then booked another five nights in Glasgow along with a return train.  We only have a couple of days between those, but we should not be getting tired on the ship.  Just hope Nichola, does not add the Liverpool Region to her banned list as we, (on the other side of the Mersey), have normally been included with the whole region, yet our numbers have always been way down on the other districts.