Will You cancel Your Upcoming Cruises if Royal Caribbean Doesn't Require Vaccinations

If Royal Caribbean Doesn't Require Vaccinations will you cancel your cruise?  

436 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Feel About Royal Caribbean not requesting vaccinations

• We will cancel our upcoming cruise(s) if Royal Caribbean does not require vaccinations
    • We Don't have concerns with with Royal Caribbean not Requiring Vaccinations

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

But that won't show who is vaccinated and who isn't?

Why not? If you volunteeer to show your vax card, you get a bright yellow band. No bands for anyone else. Easy, simple, and non-discriminatory

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Why not? If you volunteeer to show your vax card, you get a bright yellow band. No bands for anyone else. Easy, simple, and non-discriminatory

And how do you stop people from getting their own bright yellow band perhaps on Amazon? And that is assuming they don't show fake vac card?

Edited by ace2542

15 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

And exactly how many crew are they going to dedicate to looking for the right colored wristbands? Just completely unmanageable. Not going to happen. 

There had already been a discussion here on CC. Not sure how many will be dedicated but they are hiring. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2782869-rccl-one-meter-monitors/

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

And how do you stop people from getting their own bright yellow band perhaps on Amazon?

Band types and or colors change every week.  No one would know band requirement until day of cruise.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Well, yeah it can get out of control. But they will "police" things more in controlled areas. Like while trying to enter a theater or club. Not while just walking down the hall, they aren't going to turn each crew into the mask police.

I do't think it will really come to that. I think they are going to make "protocols" so harsh, non-vaccinated will just decide it isn't worth going. Not sure what those could be yet...if you were subjected to something like daily testing, would you go?

I think they will do what is easiest for them and what will be the most profitable, and that will be applying all protocols to all passengers (vaccinated and unvaccinated). I think any plan to make protocols as draconian as possible to discourage sales is not a plan that will be successful. The CDC protocols will be what they are and will have to be followed or that could impact their ability to continue sailing. It’s interesting that you mention daily testing. Viking cruises is doing fully vaccinated cruises, health protocols like masking will still apply and testing during the cruise. Folks going on those enthusiastically.  Go figure. 

4 minutes ago, Ravbo said:

Band types and or colors change every week.  No one would know band requirement until day of cruise.  

Yep. Look I'm not saying that Royal is going to go down this route and I agree but it would be very difficult to police. I'm just saying that if they decided they wanted to offer vaccinate people different experiences there are ways they could implement it. As a business is entirely up to them as to what they offer and how they choose to police it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

There had already been a discussion here on CC. Not sure how many will be dedicated but they are hiring. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2782869-rccl-one-meter-monitors/

I saw that too.  But I don’t think that contemplates scoping out wristband colors and compliance based on those colors.  What a circus that would be. 

On 6/5/2021 at 3:25 PM, cruiserking said:

Thoroughly disgusted by Royal Caribbean's latest decision not to require vaccinations. Just curious how many people Royal can expect to cancel their cruises in the near future if the this dangerous policy stays in place. 

Jonathan

Take your disgust then to another line. The same amount of people who are dissatisfied equals to the same amount of being happy! You have choices. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I think they will do what is easiest for them and what will be the most profitable, and that will be applying all protocols to all passengers (vaccinated and unvaccinated). I think any plan to make protocols as draconian as possible to discourage sales is not a plan that will be successful. The CDC protocols will be what they are and will have to be followed or that could impact their ability to continue sailing. It’s interesting that you mention daily testing. Viking cruises is doing fully vaccinated cruises, health protocols like masking will still apply and testing during the cruise. Folks going on those enthusiastically.  Go figure. 

I'm on the fence on this one. Easier, yes. But one way or another a decision is going to impact sales. Plenty of people here ranting about how they are fully vaccinated and if masks are required, they will not sail. The way they mentioned "protocols", I think they are leaning towards doing more than just covid-check on boarding.

As a business, they are going to do whatever they feel will maximize profits. And I have no idea what that will be because I don't work for Royal. 

1 minute ago, jrapps said:

I'm on the fence on this one. Easier, yes. But one way or another a decision is going to impact sales. Plenty of people here ranting about how they are fully vaccinated and if masks are required, they will not sail. The way they mentioned "protocols", I think they are leaning towards doing more than just covid-check on boarding.

As a business, they are going to do whatever they feel will maximize profits. And I have no idea what that will be because I don't work for Royal. 

They are going to have to do more than COVID-check on boarding. They will be obligated to follow all of the protocols set out by the CDC in order to get their sailing certificate following test cruises. They will not be able to pick and choose what they want to comply with. 

• Like 2

Sorry to see Royal fold to the pressure from DeSantis. Their policy was reasonable and based in simple common sense. But I understand they need to get sailing again.

We have no Royal cruises planned in the foreseeable future so we will watch how this all plays out.

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

They are going to have to do more than COVID-check on boarding. They will be obligated to follow all of the protocols set out by the CDC in order to get their sailing certificate following test cruises. They will not be able to pick and choose what they want to comply with. 

No but they could definitely elected to do more than the CDC is requiring. As of now I don't think the CDC is requiring daily tests on the ship itself. 

Another thing about this I wonder is the protocols required by the ports. For example in order to visit the Bahamas you need a PCR test within 5 days of arrival. What happens if your visit to the Bahamas is on day seven of your cruise? You obviously have to do the PCR test on the ship right?

I could very easily see a scenario where a cruise line decides that in order to sail without a vaccine you have to be tested daily.

Just now, jrapps said:

No but they could definitely elected to do more than the CDC is requiring. As of now I don't think the CDC is requiring daily tests on the ship itself. 

Another thing about this I wonder is the protocols required by the ports. For example in order to visit the Bahamas you need a PCR test within 5 days of arrival. What happens if your visit to the Bahamas is on day seven of your cruise? You obviously have to do the PCR test on the ship right?

I could very easily see a scenario where a cruise line decides that in order to sail without a vaccine you have to be tested daily.

Celebrity is finding a similar challenge with their SXM cruises. They have had to reschedule port visits because Barbados is requiring a test within 5 days. They had to move that port to first call in order to comply.  I can see how any island/country testing or other protocol changes could impact an itinerary at any time.  

I scheduled my upcoming cruise is in February of 2023, primarily because I hope to be past all this by then. I'm vaccinated. I would prefer the ships require passengers be vaccinated, but I get that Florida is making that virtually impossible. I would not cancel my cruise due to a lack of vaccine rules, but WOULD cancel if protections put in place would drastically reduce my ability to enjoy the experience. I don't want to be limited to taking only ship-sponsored shore excursions. I don't want to have to wear a mask while sunning by the pool or dancing in the club. I've been on ships where the buffet food had to be dished out by crew - no self serve (due to noro on the previous sailing) - and I'd be okay with that, but not the elimination of the buffet entirely. I don't want my dining room experience to be rushed because passengers are required to spend limited time unmasked. I'm hoping that none of that will remain by 2023.

However, I'm realizing that - even after the "new normal" returns - things in the ports will not be the same. Most of us enjoy booking private excursions with locals. Thenford Grey, Levi LeBaron, Javin and his monkey, and many more help elevate the local experience. But how long can these folks continue to survive without any income? At what point do they STOP offering tours because they've had to find other work to support their families? Tours and even major attractions in the Caribbean are at risk of shutting down permanently. I'm hopeful that the on-board experience will be as I have always known and loved, but not so sure about the port experiences. THAT concerns me.

Statement from Carnival regarding their reasoning for requiring vaccinated adults for Texas sailings. The press release states that they are still working with Florida. Their reason for sailing with a vaccinated cruise to start is to give their passengers a better cruise experience .

"We appreciate the progress and support for our U.S. restart from the CDC and other key federal agencies; however, the current CDC requirements for cruising with a guest base that is unvaccinated will make it very difficult to deliver the experience our guests expect, especially given the large number of families with younger children who sail with us.  As a result, our alternative is to operate our ships from the U.S. during the month of July with vaccinated guests," said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line.

This statement gives me the impression that if the cruise line can't guarantee a 95% vaccinated cruise all passengers will be following the CDC guidelines for unvaccinated cruises. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, texmat said:

Take your disgust then to another line. The same amount of people who are dissatisfied equals to the same amount of being happy! You have choices. 

Actually if you look at the poll so far more people are disgusted with Royal Caribbean's irresponsible decision to allow non-vaccinated passengers. Hopefully, it will only remain that way in Florida and Texas. 

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, lr657 said:

"the current CDC requirements for cruising with a guest base that is unvaccinated will make it very difficult to deliver the experience our guests expect, especially given the large number of families with younger children who sail with us.  

Bingo!

The cruise experience we all crave can be restored and enjoyed with vaccinated passengers. With a vaccination we have the ability to restore some sense of normalcy to our lives whether you're going about your daily routine or boarding a cruise ship. Carnival made the right choice. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I didn't have to have to decide - Royal decided for us by cancelling all NJ cruise in August.  We did take the money this time though (the cruise was already a rebooking with FCC from last year). I'm not willing to take a chance on sailing with unvaccinated people and having an outbreak ruining my trip. Pretty disappointed in Royal for backing down on their requirements.  Hopefully it works out for them, though there's a good amount of evidence of what happens when lots of unvaccinated people are clustered together. I'm not interested in being part of their experiment.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Sky616 said:

Great move Royal by not requiring the gene therapy injection. You saved your butt and millions will vacation now on your ships. 

I'm not sure what you're referencing, but nothing of the sort happened.

I know I'm not giving any money to RCL until I know I don't have to wear a mask onboard or worry that the ship will be forced to skip ports or return early to port due to an outbreak. I was hoping to sail our of Baltimore for a 15 year anniversary trip on the Enchantment of the Seas in likely a Jr Suite but that's only because the Jr suites are the only ones across the stern on that ship.

I'm not a RCI loyalist so don't really have a dog in this hunt. I have sailed with them and would sail with them again.  My first post-pandemic cruise is on Viking to Bermuda,  I've never sailed with them and typically wouldn't gravitate to them.  Why?  The cruise is 100% vaccinated, their protocols far exceed any cruise line's (they do regular mass onboard PCR testing), and don't accept passengers under 18.  

I want cruising to go back to the way it was pre-pandemic as much as everyone else does. But we're not there yet.  WaPo did an analysis of Washington state's reduction in cases and deaths which have been dramatic.  When the vaccinated are taken out of the numbers cases are as high as they were at last January's peak.  One can only imagine the separated case numbers in vaccine resistant states.

So imagine a non-vaccinated cruise. If one person who was positive and had a negative test when boarding is travelling with a group of 10 people think of what they could create.  If half of them ended up infected and were wandering freely and unmasked around the ship for two or three days before realizing they were infected how many people around them will be infected?  

Then what?  What happens to them?  What happens to the rest of their group?  What happens to the people they've been around?  If they infected 15 more people how many did those additional 15 infect?  If there's 50 to 100 people infected what happens to the rest of the cruise passengers?  What happens to the ship in terms of being able to dock?

In reading these "why can't things be the way they were" threads the one thing that stands out to me is naivety.  RCI has lost billions and caters to families.  Their motivation to sail unvaccinated cruises has nothing to do with their confidence in their protocols.  It's 100% financially drive. 

Everyone here are big boys and girls and can make their own decisions.  But don't discount what could happen on an unvaccinated cruise.  MSC has been doing unvaccinated cruises in Europe with EU passengers with much success.  There's a big difference culturally between the way EU and Americans approach Covid in general and I believe that's contributed to their success.   EU citizens aren't searching the web for fake Covid test results and fake vaccination cards.  And I can't see RCI sailing at 50% occupancy the way MSC is. 

I feel it's just a matter of time before either a Carnival or RCI ship sailing from Florida or Texas with unvaccinated passengers makes the news and not in a good way.  I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

Bingo!

The cruise experience we all crave can be restored and enjoyed with vaccinated passengers. With a vaccination we have the ability to restore some sense of normalcy to our lives whether you're going about your daily routine or boarding a cruise ship. Carnival made the right choice. 

Jonathan

Absolutely.  And it was quite surprising.  They were the one line that I thought would be the last holdout.  I see an indication that they are making progress with the State of Florida as well, so I assume their sailings there will be vaccinated as well.  If that "family line" can make the sacrifice, surely RCI can.

• Like 2