Mediation Fails to Settle Florida VS CDC Lawsuit

Lee Cruiser

38 minutes ago, bethtex said:

for those of you who mentioned Texas - the governor's order in Texas does NOT preclude private businesses from requiring proof of vaccination.  Only applies to state and local governments, public schools and such.  Much different than FL which penalizes private businesses for trying to operate as they wish.

I believe Texas and Alaska joined the lawsuit to open up cruises, but the order by DeSantis banning companies in Florida from denying service based on vaccination status only applies to Florida.

Back in May:

"Texas is taking steps to join Florida’s lawsuit against the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that seeks to invalidate the Conditional Sailing Order and clear the way for the immediate and unrestricted resumption of cruises from U.S. ports. In a filing before the U.S. District Court in Tampa, Florida, Texas argues that it too has been substantial harmed by the actions of the CDC and that Florida will not fully represent Texas’s interest in the case. Previously, Alaska had also sought to join the legal case with a similar argument."

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

It wasn't publicized much.  Here is a link to it if anyone is interested:https://openstates.org/tx/bills/87/SB968/

MrMarc, I'm interested. And I took the time to look up the bill, and read it. I am not a lawyer, and find reading legalese quite confusing. Sooo...for everyone's edification, here's the bill. More than you would ever like to know about it. From the State website for the Texas Legislature. Read to your hearts content & tell me what you think. Please. :classic_laugh:

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=SB968

9 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

MrMarc, I'm interested. And I took the time to look up the bill, and read it. I am not a lawyer, and find reading legalese quite confusing. Sooo...for everyone's edification, here's the bill. More than you would ever like to know about it. From the State website for the Texas Legislature. Read to your hearts content & tell me what you think. Please. :classic_laugh:

Sec.A161.0085.AA COVID-19 VACCINE PASSPORTS PROHIBITED.(a)

14 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I agree.  I see where it prohibits businesses getingbstate funds, but inam not sure about others.

1 hour ago, bethtex said:

for those of you who mentioned Texas - the governor's order in Texas does NOT preclude private businesses from requiring proof of vaccination.  Only applies to state and local governments, public schools and such.  Much different than FL which penalizes private businesses for trying to operate as they wish.

As a proud moderate Democrat, if Gov. Abbot ordered his mask off mandate for government offices and schools without forcing private businesses to do the same, I can only applaud him for doing what Republicans always profess to stand for (keep Government out of our business). 
As Governor, it’s his right and duty to set guidelines for state and local governments. If you don’t agree, which I don’t, then that’s what elections are for. 
DiSantis on the other hand wants to play it both ways. Keep government out of our lives unless it’s a Republican pulling the strings. Hypocritical as it gets!!

• Like 2

This is what I don't get; in the first paragraph it looks like Royal Caribbean will be using the honor system by not requiring vaccine verification, but then in the second paragraph they speak of verifying vaccinations.

"In a statement, Royal Caribbean said that while all crew members will be vaccinated against COVID-19, guests are "strongly recommended to set sail fully vaccinated" but will not be mandated to do so nor show verification

"Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date," Royal Caribbean said on Friday.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:31 PM, amcankid said:

As a proud moderate Democrat, if Gov. Abbot ordered his mask off mandate for government offices and schools without forcing private businesses to do the same, I can only applaud him for doing what Republicans always profess to stand for (keep Government out of our business). 
As Governor, it’s his right and duty to set guidelines for state and local governments. If you don’t agree, which I don’t, then that’s what elections are for. 
DiSantis on the other hand wants to play it both ways. Keep government out of our lives unless it’s a Republican pulling the strings. Hypocritical as it gets!!

so apparently his order only applied to government entities and schools, however the legislature just passed a law that companies who require vaccines can't get govt contracts and could lose govt licenses.  Not sure cruiselines have state permits or licenses that could be at risk?

On 6/7/2021 at 12:31 AM, amcankid said:

I get so frustrated reading about some of this nonsense.  It's unimaginable why a governor would do anything to discourage people from taking a vaccine that has been proven to be extremely safe and extremely effective, and especially while we're still in a pandemic.  

My wife and I are both recently retired, and since we have no more time constraints we're booked on 6 cruises for this year and next.  If Carnival goes the route of allowing non-vaccinated guests while forcing restrictions that will limit our fun (such as limited seating at the shows and comedy club, etc.) I'll cancel every one of those and take my business to another cruise line.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 2

The new law in Texas does not apply to a business that is under the jurisdiction of another federal agency. At least that's how I understand it. Cruise lines are exempt, they are under the jurisdiction of the CDC.  Carnival will be requiring proof of vaccination in Texas. This is the way Governor Desantis should have wrote the law in Florida, but he left out that little tidbit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, groundloop said:

I get so frustrated reading about some of this nonsense.  It's unimaginable why a governor would do anything to discourage people from taking a vaccine that has been proven to be extremely safe and extremely effective, and especially while we're still in a pandemic.  

My wife and I are both recently retired, and since we have no more time constraints we're booked on 6 cruises for this year and next.  If Carnival goes the route of allowing non-vaccinated guests while forcing restrictions that will limit our fun (such as limited seating at the shows and comedy club, etc.) I'll cancel every one of those and take my business to another cruise line.

And what did the governor do that discouraged people from taking the vaccine?  ... you left that out. 

And what cruiseline are you taking your business to that you know is going to not restrict any venues with social distancing. Rcl and celebrity usually have a area set aside in the theater and pool for suites you cant use. I saw rcl is giving us drink coupons because the diamond lounge would be too crowded. Sounds good to me I can use them all day instead of just at happy hour. Spread us out. 

I'd bet there will be protocols to spread us out. Oh carnival isnt doing loyalty priority boarding, it will be staggered ... spread us out. 

Bound to be more as we hear. Sometimes you need to just go with the flow, especially early on. Just let them restart. Boarding wouldnt be the only time we are spread out. 

It was never going to be successful anyway. The CDC has given up ground already. Cruises are starting. The only piece that is really in contention at the moment is the law asking for vaccine proof. I am fairly certain at this point that the Judge will not rule in favor of the FL/DeSantis. Back in May I was very hopeful. I have a feeling the Judge may ask both parties if there is any common ground they can agree on to identify which items are the biggest sticking points that need to be rule upon. I think that comes down to the CSO and with cruising starting, I think the Judge will back the CDC's side. This will force DeSantis to compromise and amend the Law to allow cruise lines to require proof of vaccination if they choose.