Richard Fain, RCG CEO, discusses vaccination strategies during restart of cruising

25 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Now that is just a silly idea. The un-vaxxer will just remove the bracelet then he/she will fit right in with the vaxxers.

Not if you make the un-vaxxer's seapsss bright red...lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, garywatson said:

Possibly, but one difference is that it's considered a criminal offense in the Bahamas to falsify your vaccine status and a lesser offense to not wear a mask when you are supposed to. They can apply that law aboard ship if they care to. Spending two years in a Bahamian jail is a lot different than a slap fight with a Walmart greeter.

It's also possible that nobody intends to enforce any of this stuff and it's all a scare tactic to encourage compliance.  We'll know in a week or two.

I cannot wait to see how this all unfolds. I won't be on one of those first cruises from the US. I will wait.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Your husband should simply do what Royal Caribbean asks of people in his position. None of this discussion/nonsense otherwise will matter either way.

If I am not vaccinated for a disability or other reasons, who should I contact? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Which we absolutely will but at this point no where does it say that just because he’s medically exempt he won’t be treated under the same regulations/requirements as someone who CHOOSE to not be vaccinated. We are waiting to hear back from RCL. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Quite a few lawyers who would take that case.....just sayin

Possibly but we’re from Canada so that would be a task we’d rather not take on. I’m sure it will work itself out.

6 minutes ago, Nanner431 said:

Possibly but we’re from Canada so that would be a task we’d rather not take on. I’m sure it will work itself out.

I don't see anything saying they will levy additional costs other than him having to have a test which I think is fair.  I agree with the thought process that this is to push people to get the vaccine.  Royal is going to do whatever helps the bottom line which is why he is opening it up.  Carnival is pushing the same vaccine talk but anyone who books a cruise thinking it will be 95% vaccinated may be in for a surprise.

Edited by Nymich

2 minutes ago, Nymich said:

I don't see anything saying they will levy additional costs other than him having to have a test which I think is fair.  I agree with the thought process that this is to push people to get the vaccine.  Royal is going to do whatever helps the bottom line.

I am willing to pay a reasonable price and he’s willing to test for sure but being forced into certain areas of ship or restrictions doesn’t make sense to me from a medical issue standpoint which I in my own think is logical but nothing makes sense these days. 🤣

1 minute ago, Nanner431 said:

I am willing to pay a reasonable price and he’s willing to test for sure but being forced into certain areas of ship or restrictions doesn’t make sense to me from a medical issue standpoint which I in my own think is logical but nothing makes sense these days. 🤣

It's all going to work out fine.

1 minute ago, Nanner431 said:

Which we absolutely will but at this point no where does it say that just because he’s medically exempt he won’t be treated under the same regulations/requirements as someone who CHOOSE to not be vaccinated. We are waiting to hear back from RCL. 

So you just want to feel persecuted? Even if you're not? I hope not. Think about it. Why would Royal Caribbean want people in that position to contact them about making some arrangements if they would just treat them exactly the same as they treat the average unvaccinated passenger they would sell a ticket to anyway?

13 minutes ago, Nanner431 said:

What's the latest about letting Canadians out into the rest of the world? Is there a planned end date for travel limitations, or some expectation at least as to when it will stop being rolled forward every month?

40 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I just found out that the person who was checking in patients for the vaccine has Covid. She is in her late 20's and didn't want the vaccine. She had to go to the hospital because she couldn't breathe.  Anyone who checked in to receive the vaccine while she was working might actually get covid and then they will blame the vaccine.

I wish there was a WOW! button like Nextdoor has. That is unbelievable. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

I am watching the Tonight Show and Jimmy Fallon's opening monolog pokes fun of Royal Caribbean deciding to sail unvaccinated.  

"Just heard Royal Caribbean will be sailing from the US ports and vaccines won't be required".

"In related news Royal Caribbean will soon be quarantining 1000 people".

"You know you messed up when Carnival is now the classy cruise line".

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, stowite said:

Actually I think this is how they are going to get around the vaccine passport issue in FL.  The policy will be that everyone gets COVID tested to board but you can be exempted from the testing if you choose to show your vaccine card.  I also think the unvaccinated will have additional COVID testing and that there will be a charge for the testing if you were eligible to be vaccinated and chose not to be vaccinated.

This is the solution, the get around for the Florida Issue. This is  THE ANSWER, it will work. Wonderful idea.

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I am watching the Tonight Show and Jimmy Fallon's opening monolog pokes fun of Royal Caribbean deciding to sail unvaccinated.  

"Just heard Royal Caribbean will be sailing from the US ports and vaccines won't be required".

"In related news Royal Caribbean will soon be quarantining 1000 people".

"You know you messed up when Carnival is now the classy cruise line".

Yup, going to be laughing stock of all the cruiselines if they allow this. It's like Russian Roulette with a loaded gun...... Just a matter of time before there is huge mess up.

• Like 6

Just now, Jimbo said:

Yup, going to be laughing stock of all the cruiselines if they allow this. It's like Russian Roulette with a loaded gun...... Just a matter of time before there is huge mess up.

The fact that the decision was called out on the Tonight Show tells me that this is a bigger issue than I thought. I assumed that it was just a hot topic on Cruise Critic and the rest of the non cruising world didn't even know.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Nanner431 said:

And what about the people who medically can not get vaccinated? I haven’t seen much chatter about that. My husband served 27 years and had every vaccine under the sun - he eventually developed GBS from all the vaccine combinations etc and has been told the next vaccine he gets could very well kill based in his last experience which landed him hospitalized for months.

So where does this leave someone like him? He doesn’t have a choice whether to get vaccinated without possibly deciding between life and death. His doctor has issued him a medical exemption letter stating why. 

I am honestly wondering how they will treat him in that regard - he really shouldn’t have to endure extra costs due to a medical condition. Will be interesting if I ever get a response from RCL on it. We are booked in Feb but I don’t know if we’ll go if he’ll have restrictions that we don’t have being it’s not a choice for him.

Isn't GBS triggered by a respiratory or gastrointestinal viral infection?  The last place that I would want to be is on an unvaccinated cruise with COVID still about and then there is also a chance of norovirus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

If she was wearing a mask PROPERLY, then there is a good chance all those she came in contact with will not become infected with Covid.

Well I hope so. Recently those coming in for the second doses haven't been wearing masks. You are still supposed to be wearing a mask until 2 weeks after the second dose. I stopped telling people to put on a mask. I still wear mine at work and I have been vaccinated since March. I can't imagine the free for all on a cruise ship if they have restrictions and require masks. They don't even cut people off from drinking if they are over intoxicated. They don't want to cut off their tip money. There are people out there who have no problem cancelling the auto gratuity on a good day. Can you imagine if they actually piss someone off.

Edited by Iamcruzin

58 minutes ago, dswallow said:

What's the latest about letting Canadians out into the rest of the world? Is there a planned end date for travel limitations, or some expectation at least as to when it will stop being rolled forward every month?

At this point still required to isolate 3 days upon return in gov’t hotel until negative test results come in. We are just hoping by Feb that we will be able to test and come home. Obviously the travel restrictions will play a huge part in whether we even get to cruise. We’ll cross that bridge in the fall once cruises are sorted and see what travel looks like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

So you just want to feel persecuted? Even if you're not? I hope not. Think about it. Why would Royal Caribbean want people in that position to contact them about making some arrangements if they would just treat them exactly the same as they treat the average unvaccinated passenger they would sell a ticket to anyway?

Not at all - I just want answers as to how they are handling medical exemptions. I gave sent my email off to them. I am chiming into conversation to give a different perspective that I don’t see many talk about. Not everyone has the choice on whether they get vaccinated is my point so there has to be some exceptions which as you’ve stated before will be to reach out which we’ve done. Just bringing a different perspective.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Isn't GBS triggered by a respiratory or gastrointestinal viral infection?  The last place that I would want to be is on an unvaccinated cruise with COVID still about and then there is also a chance of norovirus.

Your immune system basically attacks your nervous system:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/guillain-barre-syndrome.html

There are tons of articles and studies about vets and GBS. A lot of has to do with the combination of the vaccines in short time periods like on needle parade where they basically line up before going overseas and get whatever they need all within a few hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nanner431 said:

And what about the people who medically can not get vaccinated? I haven’t seen much chatter about that. My husband served 27 years and had every vaccine under the sun - he eventually developed GBS from all the vaccine combinations etc and has been told the next vaccine he gets could very well kill based in his last experience which landed him hospitalized for months.

So where does this leave someone like him? He doesn’t have a choice whether to get vaccinated without possibly deciding between life and death. His doctor has issued him a medical exemption letter stating why. 

I am honestly wondering how they will treat him in that regard - he really shouldn’t have to endure extra costs due to a medical condition. Will be interesting if I ever get a response from RCL on it. We are booked in Feb but I don’t know if we’ll go if he’ll have restrictions that we don’t have being it’s not a choice for him.

With his medical issues do you really want him on a cruise ship during a pandemic?

• Like 7

Just now, PhoenixCruiser said:

With his medical issues do you really want him on a cruise ship during a pandemic?

GBS was triggered by vaccinations during his time in the service. Medical advice is to never get vaccinated with any vaccine again. The instance he had was one and only but even I was surprised his doctor did not even hesitate when we asked. The question was barely out of our mouths to ask about vaccine and she said no way no how unless you want to die. So long story short - this condition would only be triggered by vaccinations based on his medical history. Not to say that’s the be all end all answer but he’s comfortable cruising and is public facing everyday at this point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I read the entire thing and still need the cliff notes version.  😇

All I want to know at this point is who is actually sailing on an unvaccinated ship and are they doing a live thread?