It's finally the news you have been patiently waiting to hear.

bajathree

Does anyone know if there was clarification on the call as to where passenger would provide their vaccination card?

I’m curious how NCL and Carnival are going to handle their cruises out of Florida in terms of verifying vaccination status.

39 minutes ago, lambiemom said:

I think a bigger concern is that people can print cards that look just like the original vaccination card and use that to say they are fully vaccinated when they are not at all.  

You know doing this is a Federal Crime.

• Like 2

Anyone sinking to the level of faking a vaccination card should be arrested and charged with the federal crime.   If you feel you cannot get this lifesaving vaccine own up to it and state you are not vaccinated.   Unfortunately some of the fully vaccinated passengers, who are immune compromised, do not have a full level of immunity.   Sailing with unvaccinated passengers is dangerous for them.   I am glad Seabourn is requiring 100% vaccinated passengers and crew.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Anyone sinking to the level of faking a vaccination card should be arrested and charged with the federal crime.   If you feel you cannot get this lifesaving vaccine own up to it and state you are not vaccinated.   Unfortunately some of the fully vaccinated passengers, who are immune compromised, do not have a full level of immunity.   Sailing with unvaccinated passengers is dangerous for them.   I am glad Seabourn is requiring 100% vaccinated passengers and crew.

How does Seabourn know if the cards are fake or not?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It would be pretty likely that they issued them a different colored sea pass. The guest account would definitely show it. Minors already wear a wristband, I think? Or maybe that's just for the kids clubs. 

I like that idea. That way no one would know if they were lying except the person who charges them for something. It would keep them from buying anything. My guess is that the cabin attendants will know as well. 

40 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

Does anyone know if there was clarification on the call as to where passenger would provide their vaccination card?

I’m curious how NCL and Carnival are going to handle their cruises out of Florida in terms of verifying vaccination status.

The Florida law says they can't not serve you if you because you aren't vaccinated. It doesn't say they can't ask for proof one way or another. They are just going to serve in a different way (masked) than others. 

If I were unvaccinated (and I am fully vaccinated) I would be worried about getting off a ship in a foreign country (island) where you have almost no rights. If someone there asks for your card (like a policeman or health officer) and you don't have it, you might wind up in custody or expelled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lambiemom said:

I think a bigger concern is that people can print cards that look just like the original vaccination card and use that to say they are fully vaccinated when they are not at all.  

But I am not worried about those people, unless they get sick and reach the unspecified (to us) threshold that will abort the cruise.  They are no going to make the vaccinated (passengers or crew) sick.  I do worry about the people living in the ports, who would be vulnerable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susanb10567 said:

Not happy about this…i don’t understand how this will work. Are they saying you have to upload your vaccination card at check in. Is anyone going physically going to look at it??? 

I don’t think I would of booked the Edge under these circumstances. 

I thought all eligible adults would be vaccinated.

If you are not vaccinated…how do you know if you fit into that 5% to get on board?

We were on the TA call and I believe you will need to show your card when you check in at the dock.

Can’t the CDC rescind the approval to sail since Celebrity will not be checking to see if passengers are vaccinated. This is all very disappointing. I really thought that they would want to verify vaccination status of their passengers. That is how they promoted the sailings. 

But they are checking, not sure what your concern is, once they hit the 5% threshold of passengers who choose not to show proof they will not allow anyone others to check-in.  So 95% of those allowed on board will have their status verified.  I think this is brilliant and everyone is correct, they did not require proof of vaccine, but they offer a limited number of spots and a less than enjoyable experience.  Satisfies the Florida law and the CDC requirement of 95% vaccinated.  The only way this is possible is that Celebrity does not cater to customers with children so basically if you want on the ship and are unvaccinated you better check in quickly or you will not be allowed to board once they hit the 5% threshold.

• Like 2

Can’t the CDC rescind the approval to sail since Celebrity will not be checking to see if passengers are vaccinated. This is all very disappointing. I really thought that they would want to verify vaccination status of their passengers. That is how they promoted the sailings. 

Celebrity WILL be checking vaccinations. I was on the TA call today and they made it clear you will have to show your vaccination card when you check in. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

Unfortunately, fake papers are a real possibility.  Just this week, a friend in another state told us that someone showed her his fake vaccination card and asked her if she wanted one.  Since she had been vaccinated, she declined.   When she questioned the act of "faking" a vaccination card, he just laughed at her.

Hopefully he will be laughing at her from jail or the hospital very soon.

45 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

You know doing this is a Federal Crime.

No, I am not aware of any federal statute that outlaws my printing up a spurious vaccination card for novelty use.  Do you have a US Code section to point me to?

9 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

No, I am not aware of any federal statute that outlaws my printing up a spurious vaccination card for novelty use.  Do you have a US Code section to point me to?

From https://www.ic3.gov/Media/Y2021/PSA210330

Additionally, the unauthorized use of an official government agency's seal (such as HHS or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)) is a crime, and may be punishable under Title 18 United States Code, Section 1017, and other applicable laws.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I have just completed a letter to Governor DeSantis asking him to reconsider his position with respect to cruise ships, to allow Celebrity and other cruise lines to require vaccine "passports."  

I urge all of you to do the same.  Please let DeSantis know we want the cruise line to be able to demand the vaccine passports!  Especially if you are a Florida voter!  Be nice, be calm and be persuasive.

In the meantime, where do I find a fake Passport to buy, to send in for a t-shirt?  I don't want to have my real information out there on t-shirts!  But I don't frequent the so-called dark web.

The problem with your suggestion is if they did not apply the law equally it would upon the flood gates of lawsuits.  Kind of the same thing Florida is saying to the CDC about cruises being singled out over resorts, theme parks, airplanes, etc.  I for one think that if it was not for DeSantis calling out and even suing the CDC over the last few months we would not be seeing the changes we are, and overall has done a good job managing the state during the pandemic.  

A very small percentage of people cruise, and even a smaller percentage are Florida residents.  I think Celebrity has struck a very well crafted compromise that rewards those who are vaccinated, while penalizing, but not banning those that are not.  I for one don't think there is that many people (other than kids) who will even want to cruise who are not vaccinated.  

Edited by colliece
  • Like 5

Cutie, thank you for the link.  There is no seal affixed or impressed on the Covid-19 Vaccination Record Card that I was provided , so I don't think that 17 USC 1017 applies.  Also, since all I want it for is to proved to a t-shirt printer, my "novelty use" is not fraudulent and is therefore not illegal.  So I think.

Baja3 and I will be the ones wearing the Passport t-shirts!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ILgirl said:

If you are vaccinated why do you care?

Because without knowing the threshold of infection that causes the cruise to terminate, none of us want to spend 1000's of dollars on the possibility of a ruined vacation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, colliece said:

The problem with your suggestion is if they did not apply the law equally it would upon the flood gates of lawsuits.  Kind of the same thing Florida is saying to the CDC about cruises being singled out over resorts, theme parks, airplanes, etc.  I for one think that if it was not for DeSantis calling out the CDC over the last few months we would not be seeing the changes we are, and overall has done a good job managing the state during the pandemic.  

A very small percentage of people cruise, and even a smaller percentage are Florida residents.  I think Celebrity has struck a very well crafted compromise that rewards those who are vaccinated, while penalizing, but not banning those that are not.  I for one don't think there is that many people (other than kids) who will even want to cruise who are not vaccinated.  

Thanks for your political opinion.

8 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Cutie, thank you for the link.  There is no seal affixed or impressed on the Covid-19 Vaccination Record Card that I was provided , so I don't think that 17 USC 1017 applies.  Also, since all I want it for is to proved to a t-shirt printer, my "novelty use" is not fraudulent and is therefore not illegal.  So I think.

Baja3 and I will be the ones wearing the Passport t-shirts!

The card isn't embossed or stamped.. it's just printed on the upper right corner.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, colliece said:

The problem with your suggestion is if they did not apply the law equally it would upon the flood gates of lawsuits.   

That floodgate either will or will not open regardless of our writing (hopefully a deluge of) letters to the Governor!  Please write!

Just now, Oville said:

Thanks for your political opinion.

It was in response to a political statement, not telling anyone what to think, just my opinion on where we are today, that the cruise industry and the Governor finally put pressure on the CDC to update their recommendations and we are soon to be sailing again.  I think Celebrity and Royal Caribbean in general have found a good solution to satisfy all the parties involved.    I am not from Florida and not really into politics but look at things as a business person, but it is pretty clear that their economy has not suffered as much as my state or others and all the forecasts for doom never really occurred.  If the people  of Florida are unhappy they can vote somebody else.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

My vaccination 'card' is an entire sheet of paper....It is going to be hard keeping that piece of paper in check without a whole lot of folds.  But, I'll gladly do it.

Vermonter, I think the most common Vaccination Card is about 4 by 3, two sided.  They are selling waterproof Covid Record Card Holders, I just bought two of them.  I hope your full page record doesn't get too creased up!