Bid your time/or bite the bullet?

janroatan

We are hoping to book cruise to Caribbean Feb./March.

We are nervous to book, without knowing for sure if ships will actually sail,and what port situations will be.

On the other hand, don't want to miss out on any deals.( free Air)

Opinions?

Thinking of Epic, out of Puerto Rico.

Does NCL ever do offers that are for "new bookings only"?  If so that would be the one problem, otherwise you can just reprice.  Also if you have to have a particular cabin,  booking early is best.

Booking after final payment is sometimes the best price but there is risk and less options available.

No set answer for everyone :).

2 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Does NCL ever do offers that are for "new bookings only"?  If so that would be the one problem, otherwise you can just reprice.  Also if you have to have a particular cabin,  booking early is best.

Booking after final payment is sometimes the best price but there is risk and less options available.

No set answer for everyone :).

Definitely have NOT seen an "new bookings only" offers. That's why it makes sense to book early. If the price drops before final payment, you can just cancel/rebook for the lower price. If the price drops after final payment, NCL will usually upgrade you to the next highest cabin category and you just pay the different or they will offer you some onboard credit of future cruise credit. Prior to COVID, it was 50% of the price difference in onboard credit or 25% of the price difference in FCC. Not sure they would off the same thing post-COVID with all of the FCC that is already floating around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

What do you have to lose? Your deposit is refundable and it's only $250.

I agree 100%.

You're only risking the $0.42 interest you would have earned on $250 in a savings account @ 0.5%

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, janroatan said:

We are hoping to book cruise to Caribbean Feb./March.

We are nervous to book, without knowing for sure if ships will actually sail,and what port situations will be.

On the other hand, don't want to miss out on any deals.( free Air)

Opinions?

Thinking of Epic, out of Puerto Rico.

I have deposits down on two cruises booked for next year.  I am waiting to see how cruising restarts to put down any more money beyond the deposits.  If there is a smooth start, I'll start paying them off.  

• Like 1

We have 3 booked for 2022, but we're going to cancel one unless NCL cancels it first. It's the Jan 2022 Antarctica on Star out of Buenos Aires ... the covid situation down there in South America isn't good.

The other 2 look like they are going - hopefully! One is a bucket list and our DS and his GF are joining us. The other is a TA from the UK and will stop here in Bermuda, so we get to bring home personal effects that we have in storage in the UK 😁

Other than that, we're bidding our time as we moved into a new abode late last year and are busily renovating/remodelling at the moment and it is expected to take 2 more months. Our 35th is coming up at end of Aug and we're not ready to travel overseas yet BUT may go to the dark side by booking a week's cruise on Viking Orion that is currently homeporting here in Bermuda. 🙃

When everything is really back to normal we'll start looking at cruises for 2023/4.

Stay safe and well you all.

After 3 cruises cancelled my husband said to wait, but I rebooked in March 2022. Complete change NY to Bahamas back to NY. Only concern is the Fl. port on NCL, but if it's between cruising without this stop or not going. Oh well bye Fl. Book away wore case is it's cancelled, you can always change your mind. I have also seen some price increases on the same trip so you should be watching these.

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Definitely have NOT seen an "new bookings only" offers. That's why it makes sense to book early. If the price drops before final payment, you can just cancel/rebook for the lower price. 

This.  I don't think you even need to cancel/rebook.  I've just called NCL reservations and they have been able to "re-price" my existing reservation with no changes other than price.  This was the actual reservations number, not my PCC who is basically worthless.

9 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

This.  I don't think you even need to cancel/rebook.  I've just called NCL reservations and they have been able to "re-price" my existing reservation with no changes other than price.  This was the actual reservations number, not my PCC who is basically worthless.

Sorry to hear you have a worthless PCC. I really love my PCC. She is infinitely patient.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Sorry to hear you have a worthless PCC. I really love my PCC. She is infinitely patient.

I got some new guy who didn't even know the most basic stuff.  He gave me three or four bits of incorrect information regarding how to update an existing reservation.  One call to the NCL reservations desk and everything was promptly fixed/updated.  I've had nothing but great experiences with the reservations folks.  My PCC, not so much.....