Changes to Covid/Mask policies --Apex

Bruin Steve

1 hour ago, Lagranger36 said:

“Certain situations” lol.  It’s everywhere on the boat except your room.  

I’ve diligently worn my mask everywhere too.  This is overkill and anyone with any critical thinking skills knows that.  “Just do it already” isn’t helpful and a slippery slope.  I’m obviously going to do it as I’m going but it’s an asinine policy.  

We’ve been doing it for months because we haven’t been at the point of herd immunity. A 100% vaccinated boat is the definition of that.  I’d prefer not to do things with zero utility “just because”.  

At least you are going to “just do it already “!

Masks aren’t being required in stadiums with tens of thousands of people congregated together for an extended period of time, only ~65% of whom are likely vaccinated.  Celebrity has some leverage here since Greece is desperate for tourism dollars.

And Celebrity is desperate for a re-start to cruising. Checkmate.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lagranger36 said:

Anything is better than lying down and taking whatever everyone else dishes out.  Every movement starts with one voice 

A “movement “?!  Sure when you disembark in Greece or wherever start that American movement with one voice.  Keep us posted on how that works for you.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lagranger36 said:

Lol you’re contradicting yourself and answering a different question. The reality is it’s a negotiation between the countries and the cruise lines and that’s blatantly apparent.

Not contradicting myself at all.  I said there were no further restrictions by those countries. Neither you nor I have any insight into what went into the approval process for those sailings. The Apex protocols have changed since originally announced. That means either the government of Greece changed them or Celebrity got ahead of themselves and announced before they were sure. Either is possible. 

Your arrogance is showing. You claim to know what can and can’t be required by a country in the midst of a pandemic, and what can and can’t be negotiated. It really is too bad that Celebrity is not consulting with you on this. I’m sure they would be able to change things pronto with you on board. Keep on complaining.

• Like 2

“Certain situations” lol.  It’s everywhere on the boat except your room.  

I’ve diligently worn my mask everywhere too.  This is overkill and anyone with any critical thinking skills knows that.  “Just do it already” isn’t helpful and a slippery slope.  I’m obviously going to do it as I’m going but it’s an asinine policy.  

We’ve been doing it for months because we haven’t been at the point of herd immunity. A 100% vaccinated boat is the definition of that.  I’d prefer not to do things with zero utility “just because”.  

Wait. You’re going still?  With all of these oppressive protocols? Why aren’t you taking a stand for sensibility (or whatever) and voting with your wallet?  The cruise lines and Greece sure aren’t going to learn a lesson with such knuckling under. 

Glad I’m not going to be on your cruise with your constant whining about how “asinine” everything is. 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Wait. You’re going still?  With all of these oppressive protocols? Why aren’t you taking a stand for sensibility (or whatever) and voting with your wallet?  The cruise lines and Greece sure aren’t going to learn a lesson with such knuckling under. 

Glad I’m not going to be on your cruise with your constant whining about how “asinine” everything is. 🙄

Sign of a feeble mind - resort to personal attacks when you can’t win on logic 

Edited by Lagranger36
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

A “movement “?!  Sure when you disembark in Greece or wherever start that American movement with one voice.  Keep us posted on how that works for you.

Thanks for the straw man.  You might try arguing with facts and logic instead of impotent attacks like this 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Not contradicting myself at all.  I said there were no further restrictions by those countries. Neither you nor I have any insight into what went into the approval process for those sailings. The Apex protocols have changed since originally announced. That means either the government of Greece changed them or Celebrity got ahead of themselves and announced before they were sure. Either is possible. 

Your arrogance is showing. You claim to know what can and can’t be required by a country in the midst of a pandemic, and what can and can’t be negotiated. It really is too bad that Celebrity is not consulting with you on this. I’m sure they would be able to change things pronto with you on board. Keep on complaining.

Knowing and being able to reasonably infer are two different things.  In fact, The ability to make reasonable inferences is what companies like Celebrity are more than willing to pay consultants for

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

... if you havent taken a maskless vacation, try it. it's amazing. ...

Amen to that. I commented similar to yours on the previous page, but didn't mention that everywhere I went on vacation from last May to this past April was at least half if not majority maskless. (This was within the "rules" I must be sure to state here.) But if you say things like that too loud you'll likely either get an odd look or flamed.

Btw, 'luckyinpa', if my assumption is correct, I'm thinking about revisiting Lancaster County PA in a few weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lagranger36 said:

... The Greek government may require it, but that’s a negotiation much like the vaccination requirement in the US.   

This brings to my mind again, I remember reading (here on CC probaby but an article, not on these boards) that a week after CDC finally gave in on allowing US cruising again. they followed that with "guidance" that allowed cruise lines to relax the initial "mask everywhere" policies. Through all the chatter here (I don't mean that in a negative way) I wonder if we in the US will actually see that "relaxed" guidance bleed through when our cruising starts up again, on some cruise lines if not all. Just a thought.

FYI, I'm well into my senior years. When I'm cruising I love to walk and explore the ship (as well as some ports) inside and out, and I am really not looking forward to having to be masked every step I take (or anywhere close to that) while onboard. If that's the way it turns out for me come November, I will be a lot less likely to ever spend $2-$5,000 on cruising again. I'll be joining others I've read in these comments who say they've decided not to cruise this year at least. I myself booked late in the year, specifically to give the dust time to settle, and I sure hope it does by then.

2 hours ago, Lagranger36 said:

Maybe the cruise lines negotiated with the countries because they rely on American tourism!  What a foreign thought to some people on this board 

I am currently on a vacation in Provincetown, Cape Cod, almost primarily maskless, though not 100% but close, I’m enjoying every second of it.  However if I approach a business who respectfully ask to wear a mask, I then have a choice to either do it or not, I still respect that business owners request.  When I eventually am in another country I will do the same for sure.  Not interested in starting a one voice movement in Europe, I’ll do as they request as a guest in whatever country I am visiting.  Save the sheep follow crap, it is simply called respect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

This brings to my mind again, I remember reading (here on CC probaby but an article, not on these boards) that a week after CDC finally gave in on allowing US cruising again. they followed that with "guidance" that allowed cruise lines to relax the initial "mask everywhere" policies. Through all the chatter here (I don't mean that in a negative way) I wonder if we in the US will actually see that "relaxed" guidance bleed through when our cruising starts up again, on some cruise lines if not all. Just a thought.

FYI, I'm well into my senior years. When I'm cruising I love to walk and explore the ship (as well as some ports) inside and out, and I am really not looking forward to having to be masked every step I take (or anywhere close to that) while onboard. If that's the way it turns out for me come November, I will be a lot less likely to ever spend $2-$5,000 on cruising again. I'll be joining others I've read in these comments who say they've decided not to cruise this year at least. I myself booked late in the year, specifically to give the dust time to settle, and I sure hope it does by then.

Good 

7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I am currently on a vacation in Provincetown, Cape Cod, almost primarily maskless, though not 100% but close, I’m enjoying every second of it.  However if I approach a business who respectfully ask to wear a mask, I then have a choice to either do it or not, I still respect that business owners request.  When I eventually am in another country I will do the same for sure.  Not interested in starting a one voice movement in Europe, I’ll do as they request as a guest in whatever country I am visiting.  Save the sheep follow crap, it is simply called respect.

Opinions and experiences expressed here should not be assumed, without reason, to suggest rebellious behavior, past, present or future. Just to say.

4 hours ago, Lagranger36 said:

Masks aren’t being required in stadiums with tens of thousands of people congregated together for an extended period of time, only ~65% of whom are likely vaccinated.  

Which is ridiculous and why I wouldn’t go near a stadium unless they were requiring all attendees to be vaccinated. At least Celebrity is doing that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I live here and there are still plenty of us masking up even though most of us are vaccinated. (I think residents are over 90% vaccinated here last time I heard) I was in CVS yesterday and the staff was all masked, same at Stop & Shop the week prior. Some businesses, like the daily Tea Dance at Boatslip, require proof of vaccination to enter and then you can go maskless. We have a higher than average number of older residents and immunocompromised residents both categories of which are the top category for breakthrough infections so some of us are remaining cautious. Thankfully we now have many more outdoor dining options to choose from since businesses have added decks and patios. I mask up indoors in public places but feel comfortable without one outdoors unless in a crowded situation. In a town where tourists can outnumber locals 20 to 1 in the summer you don’t know who is vaccinated or who is not.

• Like 2

Uh, this topic has taken  a nasty course since I last checked. I am well on my way to Athens now. Super excited to board Apex the day after tomorrow.

The point is, accept their rules or stay home- as simple as that. I wear a mask no for 1,5 years and I am so used to it- it does not bother me anymore. 

Different times afford different measures.

It is very possible, according to the latest forecast, that it will rain a bit in Athens during my stay prior boarding. Does it bother me- no- it does not- I am laughing in the rain. 

I feel really really privileged to be able to travel- to have gotten my fully vaccination- not only privileged also very very thankful. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Moonarino said:

Amen to that. I commented similar to yours on the previous page, but didn't mention that everywhere I went on vacation from last May to this past April was at least half if not majority maskless. (This was within the "rules" I must be sure to state here.) But if you say things like that too loud you'll likely either get an odd look or flamed.

Btw, 'luckyinpa', if my assumption is correct, I'm thinking about revisiting Lancaster County PA in a few weeks.

i was in OC MD and 99% were maskless but what other people do doesnt bother me. i actually have the solution to world peace. dont worry about what others do /say. but no one listens to me. people still care about what some movie star says or what another forum member says and the fights start. its pathetic. people always having to be 'right'  and get the last word. 

in OC it was teens that were the most masked up. kinda surprised me. but PA is also now a free country and ive been enjoying it. no way am i gonna pay for a cruise where the rules literally change hour by hour. plus even when i search for the rules on a cruise site, i cannot easily find them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Uh, this topic has taken  a nasty course since I last checked. I am well on my way to Athens now. Super excited to board Apex the day after tomorrow.

The point is, accept their rules or stay home- as simple as that. I wear a mask no for 1,5 years and I am so used to it- it does not bother me anymore. 

Different times afford different measures.

It is very possible, according to the latest forecast, that it will rain a bit in Athens during my stay prior boarding. Does it bother me- no- it does not- I am laughing in the rain. 

I feel really really privileged to be able to travel- to have gotten my fully vaccination- not only privileged also very very thankful. 

Will you do a few posts to let us know how the cruise is going please?

• Like 1

To compare: The updated mask 😷 policy for RCI Jewel sailing from Cyprus…… 

Outdoors & Indoors Onboard: All guests 6 years and older must wear a mask in all indoor and outdoor public spaces, unless seated and actively eating or drinking or sitting beside the pool. Masks are not required in your stateroom as long as you are with your own travel party. Masks are not permitted in the pool or for any activity where they could become wet.

Re masks. W are due on Apex July 3rd. I don't know if it is Celebrity's own policy but we live in Greece (Corfu) and the rules in Greece are masks must be worn inside and outside at all times EXCEPT when seated (on the beach etc) in a bar or restaurant and when eating/drinking. I have to add that although wrong most Greeks wear the mask under their chin and a lot of tourists don't bother at all even though they risk a 300€ fine.

14 hours ago, Lagranger36 said:

I’m guessing it’s almost entirely driven by Greece.  The frustrating thing for those of us on Apex is that celebrity stated categorically in mid-May vaccinated cruises would not be required to wear masks, which is also when I booked. 

they’ve since either changed the policy or been more transparent about it.  You can see from the comments in this thread and others that this is a deal breaker for many.  

13 hours ago, Lagranger36 said:

Maybe the cruise lines negotiated with the countries because they rely on American tourism!  What a foreign thought to some people on this board 

I don't think you have spent much time researching travel options in 2021. I have. Virtually every country has their own covid specific policies for tourists, and no, they are not bending them to fit the will of a cruise company. And you may not realize this, but Greece is much less dependent on US travelers than the Caribbean, so comparing the two is ridiculous. I am sure Greece would like to get their travel industry back into gear, but losing a cruise ship or two that stops for 8 hours and spends a small amount of money there, compared to someone taking a land trip in Greece, will probably be celebrated, not missed. You think we are holding a card that we don't hold. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don't think you have spent much time researching travel options in 2021. I have. Virtually every country has their own covid specific policies for tourists, and no, they are not bending them to fit the will of a cruise company. And you may not realize this, but Greece is much less dependent on US travelers than the Caribbean, so comparing the two is ridiculous. I am sure Greece would like to get their travel industry back into gear, but losing a cruise ship or two that stops for 8 hours and spends a small amount of money there, compared to someone taking a land trip in Greece, will probably be celebrated, not missed. You think we are holding a card that we don't hold. 

Right now Greece and other EU countries are highly dependent on Americans due to EU travel restrictions, in addition to restrictions on all other parts of the world.  For example, Portugal opened to US tourists two weeks earlier than planned  because they lost the Brits and are desperate.  

It’s not just the stops - it’s the home port so it’s the port fees, taxes, etc etc in addition to incremental spending from passengers on land. 

I’m not saying we’re holding a ‘trump card’ but there is an opportunity to influence even if it’s small. Obviously the calculus from Celebrity’s perspective is leading them to require masks, probably because they suspect Greece will relax the restrictions soon (cases are plummeting) and it’s not worth the fight.

Read back through these comments and see how many people who say they won’t cruise with mask restrictions. It’s a real issue.

Edited by Lagranger36

33 minutes ago, kassiopi said:

Re masks. W are due on Apex July 3rd. I don't know if it is Celebrity's own policy but we live in Greece (Corfu) and the rules in Greece are masks must be worn inside and outside at all times EXCEPT when seated (on the beach etc) in a bar or restaurant and when eating/drinking. I have to add that although wrong most Greeks wear the mask under their chin and a lot of tourists don't bother at all even though they risk a 300€ fine.

Thanks for the insight!