Cunard Precruise - LaGuardia

High C's

Just starting to outline our plans for our first Cunard crossing in 2022. We plan on flying in one day early into LaGuardia.  No plans to go into Manhattan.  Can someone please advise which hotels Cunard has used in the past in the LGA area.  Many thanks!

I'm not aware of Cunard offering hotels in the LaGuardia area. Right now the only hotels I'm seeing Cunard offering in New York as pre-voyage add-ons during their online booking process for 2022 voyages are the Hilton Midtown and the Knickerbocker, both in Manhattan.

Thanks to you both.  It helps in planning to know that.  Air Canada flies into LGA.  I know hotels in Brooklyn are not recommended, so figured we would stay out near the airport then head in the following morning.  Not worthwhile going all the way into Manhattan.

On a similar note, does Cunard do airport transfers from LGA?  If we were to stay at an airport hotel, we could head back to arrivals and meet up with the Cunard transfer.  We have done this in the past on other lines.  Having never sailed Cunard, I am not familiar with their policies.

I think the statement "hotels in Brooklyn are not recommended" is a little broad.  We're planning to stay at the Brooklyn Marriott prior to an upcoming voyage.  I can't speak from actual experience, but I have no qualms whatsoever.  Brooklyn has changed a lot over the last 20 years.

7 minutes ago, 57eric said:

I think the statement "hotels in Brooklyn are not recommended" is a little broad.  We're planning to stay at the Brooklyn Marriott prior to an upcoming voyage.  I can't speak from actual experience, but I have no qualms whatsoever.  Brooklyn has changed a lot over the last 20 years.

Certainly no insult intended.  I have never stayed i Brooklyn either, so no comment from us re actual experience.  But from reading these boards, that is often the response.  I will absolutely take a look at the Marriott.  Does it offer a shuttle to the ship?

No.  No hotel does.  I guess a concise response would be that I believe you'd be happier in Brooklyn than near LaGuardia.  I believe most passengers stay in Manhattan. 

To date, we've always stayed in New Jersey because we drive.  The upcoming voyage I referenced is a much longer one, so instead of parking we're renting one way.  The drop off is in the hotel's garage.

3 hours ago, 57eric said:

I've stayed at the Brooklyn Marriott (at Borough Hall) prior to a QM2 voyage.  It is a short easy trip to the ship at Red Hook (uber, taxi, or bus).  There are numerous restaurants and cafes.  Also if time and weather permit, it is easy to get to the pedestrian walkway across the Brooklyn Bridge, or the streets of Brooklyn Heights to the Promenade, which are both wonderful walks.  Definitely more to do in downtown Brooklyn than in the LGA area of Queens.

• Like 2

I think if all you need is a place to sleep for the night and then get a cab to the ship, hotels near LGA are fine - but they're strictly airport hotels. Several years ago we stayed at a Hampton Inn near LGA before a cruise out of Manhattan because we were taking our sons to a Mets game. It was fine - just a place to sleep and grab some breakfast before driving to the pier. If you're thinking of something other than hotel food and walking around a bit, though, I'd look at the Brooklyn Marriott. It's not far from Brooklyn Bridge Park and will be a short ride to the pier in the morning.

There are several good hotels in downtown Brooklyn, which is a lively area if you have time to kill on the night before your departure.  Downtown Brooklyn is a short cab ride to Red Hook, where QM2 departs.  In fact we are staying in an apartment in downtown Brooklyn for the month prior to our QM2 sailing.  We like the convenience, reasonably short cab ride from JFK were we will arrive, and very short cab ride to Red Hook.  And for our stay, there will be lots of things to do in Brooklyn, plus we will be only 15 minutes away from Wall Street.  BTW we have stayed at the Aloft in DT Brooklyn in the past.  Rooms are small, but it's very modern and well-located

The Brooklyn Hilton is reasonably priced, rooms are a decent size and the breakast is ok.  If you are wanting something cheap to eat there is a passable diner on the other side of the street. 

I stayed in it after a TA in 2019, took about 10-15 mins in a taxi from the Cruise Terminal which cost under $20.

We have sailed out of Red Hook twice, after having flown in on Air Canada to La Guardia.  Like you, we didn't want to go into Manhattan for just one night.  Both times we enjoyed our stay at the Nu Hotel, 85 Smith St (near Smith and Atlantic), in Brooklyn.  While they offered a simple breakfast buffet, we went to the nearby diner, the New Apollo for  a satisfying hot breakfast.  They were licensed and I am sure did a decent dinner, but the hotel was always able to recommend something nearby for a lovely leisurely dinner .  There were always families out for a walk, pushing strollers.  Nearby streets held comfortable homes.  We were quite at ease.  Covid may have changed things for the restaurants, but that was our experience.

The hotel arranged a car for the short trip to Red Hook for us, at a very reasonable rate. It was much more interesting than staying by an airport. 

• Like 2

Although we booked it directly,  not through Cunard, we have stayed twice at the LaGuardia Marriott. It is very close to the airport and the hotel sent a shuttle for us.

Each time the hotel staff arranged a car service to take us to Brooklyn in the morning.

We could have returned to the airport in the morning to take the Cunard coach transfer. The cost would have been about Can.$90, that is $45 for each of us.  The car service was about US$50 plus tip. I expect the cost of both of these modes of transport have increased since then as it has been a few years.

Edited by david,Mississauga
clarification
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Although we booked it directly,  not through Cunard, we have stayed twice at the LaGuardia Marriott. It is very close to the airport and the hotel sent a shuttle for us.

Each time the hotel staff arranged a car service to take us to Brooklyn in the morning.

We could have returned to the airport in the morning to take the Cunard coach transfer. The cost would have been about Can.$90, that is $45 for each of us.  The car service was about US$50 plus tip. I expect the cost of both of these modes of transport have increased since then as it has been a few years.

Thank you!  This is what we are considering doing.  Pricing for transfers are not yet available on my planner, so I have no idea what they are.  But they are still likely much higher than simply getting a car service.

9 minutes ago, High C's said:

Thank you!  This is what we are considering doing.  Pricing for transfers are not yet available on my planner, so I have no idea what they are.  But they are still likely much higher than simply getting a car service.

The pre-voyage Cunard coach transfer from LaGuardia to the port is priced at $50 (US) per person for 2022 crossings during the booking process on the Cunard US website. When I pretend I'm in Canada, I'm finding the Cunard website for Canada is currently quoting that transfer at $60.51 (CAD) per person.

We enjoy staying in Brooklyn at the Marriott.   It is an easy walk to wonderful restaurants with a view of the Manhattan skyline.   There are also several fantastic pizza restaurants, some of the best in NYC.   If you are into walking the park under the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges is a great picturesque stroll.   If you are up to it a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is an experience you won’t forget.    We walk to a Bagel shop, for fresh baked bagels for breakfast the day of departure.   As others have said it is a short ride to Red Hook for the QM2.   Pretty sure LaGuardia doesn’t offer anything as special as this area of Brooklyn.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:01 AM, bluemarble said:

The pre-voyage Cunard coach transfer from LaGuardia to the port is priced at $50 (US) per person for 2022 crossings during the booking process on the Cunard US website. When I pretend I'm in Canada, I'm finding the Cunard website for Canada is currently quoting that transfer at $60.51 (CAD) per person.

Thank you so much for that info! 🙂

8 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We enjoy staying in Brooklyn at the Marriott.   It is an easy walk to wonderful restaurants with a view of the Manhattan skyline.   There are also several fantastic pizza restaurants, some of the best in NYC.   If you are into walking the park under the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges is a great picturesque stroll.   If you are up to it a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is an experience you won’t forget.    We walk to a Bagel shop, for fresh baked bagels for breakfast the day of departure.   As others have said it is a short ride to Red Hook for the QM2.   Pretty sure LaGuardia doesn’t offer anything as special as this area of Brooklyn.

Thanks very much.  Based on the responses I've received, I think this is where we will end up. Appreciate the info!

1 hour ago, High C's said:

Thanks very much.  Based on the responses I've received, I think this is where we will end up. Appreciate the info!

Good decision - while there are a couple of pretty decent motels near LGA, you might as well see a bit of the city and have a chance for a good dinner at an attractive restaurant.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We stayed at this hotel a few years ago, not as a part of sailing out of Red Hook, but because of its location relevant to our plans. I cannot imagine staying near LaGuardia unless I had an early morning flight out.

I concur with your recommendation. It is a good hotel in an attractive area. I will also add that, while we were staying there on the morning of a QM2 departure, we saw a lobby full of folks with Cunard luggage tags…not sure which were departing and which may have been arriving, but the hotel seems popular with Cunard customers.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 4:31 PM, 57eric said:

No.  No hotel does.  I guess a concise response would be that I believe you'd be happier in Brooklyn than near LaGuardia.  I believe most passengers stay in Manhattan. 

To date, we've always stayed in New Jersey because we drive.  The upcoming voyage I referenced is a much longer one, so instead of parking we're renting one way.  The drop off is in the hotel's garage.

57eric -  We will be driving to our TA and staying in Europe for four weeks.  Doing a one way car rental is a great idea.   Can you advise the name of the hotel that has the drop off in the hotel's garage?   THANK YOU!   Becky 

December 2018, we hired a car with Budget, and dropped it off at the New York Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge hotel.  The hotel had a doorman (from the UK) who hailed a yellow cab to get to the port (similar costs to an Uber).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FreedomVentures2029 said:

57eric -  We will be driving to our TA and staying in Europe for four weeks.  Doing a one way car rental is a great idea.   Can you advise the name of the hotel that has the drop off in the hotel's garage?   THANK YOU!   Becky 

Ivanidea (#23) has spelled it out.