Wait for refund or challenge CC charge?

chisoxfan

I was curious about the latest thinking on this subject. We just cancelled a HAL cruise with a 3500 deposit. We have been told to expect a 90 day wait for return of funds.

I know in the depths of the Covid crisis that deposit returns were (somewhat understandably) delayed.
That said I was looking to see in fact the 90 days was still an accurate expectation. If so have some of you questioned the charge with the CC issuer to move things along?  It is not a concern over the $$$ so much as thinking a 90 day period is excessive (IMHO) and they (perhaps) are using this as a nice cash flow enhancement.

In theory a refund should take no longer than taking the booking deposit which is virtually instant.

Many thanks for your input.

I wonder if that is a left over notification from earlier in the pandemic.  No way should it take that long.  Our last canceled cruise was with Oceania and we got our refund in about ten days.

We paid for an Alaska trip with gift certificates. HAL canceled the 2021 trip which was scheduled to depart from Vancouver. HAL automatically re-booked the trip to 2022 (which we did not want). Long story short, it took us two months to cancel the second booking and at least another 90 days to get the gift cards reinstated. Too long!

3 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

I was curious about the latest thinking on this subject. We just cancelled a HAL cruise with a 3500 deposit. We have been told to expect a 90 day wait for return of funds.

I know in the depths of the Covid crisis that deposit returns were (somewhat understandably) delayed.
That said I was looking to see in fact the 90 days was still an accurate expectation. If so have some of you questioned the charge with the CC issuer to move things along?  It is not a concern over the $$$ so much as thinking a 90 day period is excessive (IMHO) and they (perhaps) are using this as a nice cash flow enhancement.

In theory a refund should take no longer than taking the booking deposit which is virtually instant.

Many thanks for your input.

We also recently cancelled a cruise with a $3500 deposit.  HAL said the refund was processed on June 3rd and it showed up on our credit card this morning so not even 10 business days.  I'd say give it a couple weeks before contacting your credit card company.  Good luck!

I agree that the 90 days is possibly old wording, I was actually told 30 days from when they canceled my Nieuw Statendam. I did a Move over to the Rotterdam for July 2022 but I also had Business Class Air that was a good chunk of money. The cancellation was right at about 30 days ago and over the weekend the refund chowed up on my credit card, earlier last week they had rebooked the reservation and it now shows paid in full for July 2022. So I am happy with how it turned out. I can turn around and book air in August for next year.

If you are looking for just a full refund I think you will definitely receive in about 30 days or less.

1 hour ago, HUNNY BUN said:

Not Holland, but on Princess.  We are at 117 days now without receiving our refund.  Booked thru a TA, so I can't contact them myself.  Getting very frustrated!

Did you contest it with your credit card yet?  That will get the ball rolling.

• Like 1

I would call your credit card provider to understand what the issuer specific and rules are around challenges.

The one thing you do not want to do is to wait past the card issuers deadline for submitting a challenge.    At the very least get a firm understanding of the rules and if appropriate register a challenge and ensure that you have written proof of same.

• Like 1

Just wanted to follow up on this. I was prepared to wait 30 days or so for credit to post before starting a 'dispute' with Chase. The posters to my OP had given me optimism that refunds were being processed in a timely fashion. I was pleasantly surprised that the refund came through yesterday (less than 2 weeks from cancellation) so wanted to advise on this.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Just wanted to follow up on this.  the refund came through yesterday (less than 2 weeks from cancellation) so wanted to advise on this.

Good for you,  I know what a relief that was!