Packing Question?

rucrazy

I like to take longer cruises, but don't pack much more for them than I would for a shorter cruise. 
I generally pack three formals for Gala nights, and repeat each one once. Plus I take 4-6 smart casual nights, and wear them several times each, maybe five times. One pair of dress shoes that go with every outfit. 
I love dressing up, and my pretty clothes love to go out to play! 

I also bring all my good jewelry, so I have some variety in what I am wearing each night (and that way if my house is broken into while I'm gone, the robbers don't get the 'good stuff'.) 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

We pack for 6-7 days.  Does not matter if we are gone for one week or eight weeks.  Layed, matching, lightweight, easy care fabrics.   We travel with inexpensive 'travel' jewelry-nothing of value.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

We were on a B2B through the western Caribbean and then on to England. One couple was doing extensive land travel through Europe at the end of the cruise. She wore the same "formal" outfit for every gala evening. I didn't even notice until she mentioned it at the end. A different scarf does wonders!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I also bring all my good jewelry, so I have some variety in what I am wearing each night (and that way if my house is broken into while I'm gone, the robbers don't get the 'good stuff'.)

Me too!   I wear very simple clothing with very cool jewelry.   I love wearing my southwestern collection - it is bold, colorful and is a reflection of my region. Then I have the exotics which are great conversation starters 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Cut from the same fabric as my David... (he is a former actor.. I call his packing.. costume changes! lol)

We're "family".  But not an actor here, I would probably faint trying to perform in front anybody, except for my cat maybe.

• Like 2

For us cruises are typically part of an extended land trip.  Sometimes the cruise is purchased while we are on a land trip.  So, we pack for a land trip-casual.   What we have in our respective carry on bags is what we wear on the cruise.

3 hours ago, vswan said:

I tend to do something similar with 2 or 3 daytime dresses that can be worn with or without swimwear under for days in the caribbean.

I must be tired. Reading this, the word swimwear did NOT say swimwear. My immediate thought was ‘Oh my, that’s a little racy for Holland America!’. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, iancal said:

For us cruises are typically part of an extended land trip.  Sometimes the cruise is purchased while we are on a land trip.  So, we pack for a land trip-casual.   What we have in our respective carry on bags is what we wear on the cruise.

I admire you for this.  I am going to give it a try as my next cruise will be followed by land and river travel.  For cruise only I am all for packing whatever will fit in my stateroom.

Love this topic.  I love the long cruises, so I generally bring only what I know I will wear.  No sense bringing clothing that never sees the light of day.  No overpacking anymore and no stressing if people see me in the same clothing more than once.  It's just not a competition.  I like what RuthC said about jewelry.  These days, it's my only opportunity to wear the good stuff, so I bring it.

• Like 5

One of the packing tips I learned from this board is to pack “disposable “ clothes.  I’ll pack based on laundry turnaround, three to four days.  Then as the cruise ends I get rid of items that I don’t want to take home leaving room for souvenirs.  We only use carry on bags for a Caribbean cruise, regardless of length.

On our last cruise, 35 days, a man wore the same outfit day and night. Black track pants and a black shirt with red dragons on it. Never saw him in anything else. I was told he forgot his suitcase. What I don’t understand is why he didn’t buy something in our first few ports.....Bar Harbour,  Sydney , where stores were easily accessible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tbay said:

On our last cruise, 35 days, a man wore the same outfit day and night. Black track pants and a black shirt with red dragons on it. Never saw him in anything else. I was told he forgot his suitcase. What I don’t understand is why he didn’t buy something in our first few ports.....Bar Harbour,  Sydney , where stores were easily accessible. 

I know folks who have a single wardrobe item that they buy in multiples.  Steve Jobs famously did this citing not having to make mundane decisions like what to wear.  Probably this is not the case of your fellow but I have often considered a similar wardrobe.  

Just now, Mary229 said:

know folks who have a single wardrobe item that they buy in multiples.

I do that for Jeans and tennis shoes... when they are on sale I stock up Levi's and Reeboks..

it's not unusual to see three pairs of shoes stacked on the shelf in my closet at any given time (except for now only one pair in a box.. time to restock!) lol

• Like 3

Just now, rucrazy said:

I do that for Jeans and tennis shoes... when they are on sale I stock up Levi's and Reeboks..

it's not unusual to see three pairs of shoes stacked on the shelf in my closet at any given time (except for now only one pair in a box.. time to restock!) lol

Same here.  My nephew owns a running store and calls when my brooks go on sale.  I stack them up.  I also buy his seasonal specials and can't wait to wear my St Pat's day shoes in Ireland.  

• Like 2

I have four or five pairs of jeans, the same number of shorts.   They are about all I wear at home depending on the weather.  I always buy the same brand, the same style.  And always pick up a pair when I see them on sale.

I buy shirts with travel in mind.  I only wear collared shirts.  I dislike shopping so I tend to buy the brand and the quality that I know will last.  Once I have that down I can simply order on live vs a trip to the dreaded shopping center. Same for footwear.

What we pack is defined by how we travel, where we travel, and by our physical ability to handle our own bag.  There are times when we may have wished we could take another bag or a bigger suitcase but it is not in the cards for us.  The upside is that we have met some very interesting people in self service and full service laundromats in various parts of the world.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2