BIU work to rule torpedoes cruise ship visit to St George’s

Charles4515

Really is a shame that the union action impacted this cruise visit. On the other hand I did not know they were tendering. I guess the Orion is too large to go through the cut. Tendering to St. Georges’s can be problematic. When HAL Veendam tried to tender it was often cancelled. The next season they gave up on tendering to St. George’s. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20210616/biu-work-to-rule-torpedoes-cruise-ship-visit-to-st-georges/

• Like 1

It's an awfully long tender in from Murray's Anchorage to either Penno's Wharf or Ordnance Island in St George's harbour - I'd guess 30 - 40 minutes at least - and the bit from the ship to Town Cut could be pretty rough in poor weather. I'm a bit surprised that this was Viking's plan - probably they didn't know how much trouble the Veendam had.

It's a shame there isn't a dock on the north shore of St George's island for a much shorter tender, but there isn't.

I'd much rather visit St George's Town by bus from Hamilton than tender!

(Or I like the Orange ferry from Dockyard but that isn't running right now)

7 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I'm a bit surprised that this was Viking's plan - probably they didn't know how much trouble the Veendam had.

I'm just surmising that having St George's on the itinerary looked less "stationary" than leaving it off from a marketing standpoint and let's be honest-- they have nothing but time on this cruise. 8 days when a normal stop from New York or Boston is 2.5 days. 

From what I see, they have sea days between stops? When we sailed Oceania from NY to Bermuda our transit between St Georges and Hamilton was 6 am to 8 am if I remember correctly. The Viking sailing has sea days between each port stop. And Viking counts the day getting on and the day getting off as whole days. It's really a 7 day cruise, but I guess you are on the boat for "8 days".

Edited by Jim and Monika

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 7:03 AM, jollyjones said:

It's an awfully long tender in from Murray's Anchorage to either Penno's Wharf or Ordnance Island in St George's harbour - I'd guess 30 - 40 minutes at least - and the bit from the ship to Town Cut could be pretty rough in poor weather. I'm a bit surprised that this was Viking's plan - probably they didn't know how much trouble the Veendam had.

It's a shame there isn't a dock on the north shore of St George's island for a much shorter tender, but there isn't.

I'd much rather visit St George's Town by bus from Hamilton than tender!

(Or I like the Orange ferry from Dockyard but that isn't running right now)

We take the ferry from Dockyard, when we are there on the Boston to Bermuda NCL ships.

1 hour ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

We take the ferry from Dockyard, when we are there on the Boston to Bermuda NCL ships.

But the Dockyard-St. George's ferry has not been running during the pandemic so that is not currently an option.

Viking Orion is back with tendering  at St. George for June 22 cruise and those going forward. 

Got my Bermuda map for the Tourist bureau  , so ready for my July 13 cruise exploring the island of Bermuda.