Sail Safe update?

coastcat

44 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

No one knows yet! That is a hot topic in some of the other cruise line forums for cruise lines that are sailing out of FL sooner than NCL. Celebrity sails on June 26 and as of right now, they have said they do not require proof of vaccination, but only 5% of capacity is allocated to passenger who do not "volunteer" proof of vaccination. So, as of right now it seems that if you show up at port on the day of the sailing and do not "volunteer" your proof of vaccination you will be designated one of the 5%. If you are one of the 5% who makes it on board, you will be subject to frequent COVID testing at your own expense, you will be required to wear a mask at all times outside of your stateroom, and you will be prohibited from entering certain areas of the ship. If you do not "volunteer" your proof of vaccination and the 5% is already full, you get turned away at the pier.

Thank you for that explanation but I am aware of Celebrity's strategy. Waiting impatiently to hear what NCL plans to do to "skirt" Florida's law and do it legally.

4 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Thank you for that explanation but I am aware of Celebrity's strategy. Waiting impatiently to hear what NCL plans to do to "skirt" Florida's law and do it legally.

I think they are waiting to see how things pan out for some of the other lines. The uncertainty is a huge part of why we decided to cancel our Sky (now Gem) sailing out of Miami at the beginning of September and switch to the Breakaway out of NYC for later that month. I have no concerns about NCL being able to sail with 100% vaccination out of NY.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hadacareer said:

Agree..and be mindful of us older (and not so much older)  with hearing aids which tend to go flying when I take a mask off..so would leave it on more than risk losing them!

19 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Same with dangly earrings!

This reminds me of a silly convo I had with The Guy a while back (pre-vaxxed)

Me:  I don't like this mask, it argues with my sunglasses when I'm wearing my wig

Him:  No sympathy, you should try it with a hearing aid

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I think they are waiting to see how things pan out for some of the other lines. The uncertainty is a huge part of why we decided to cancel our Sky (now Gem) sailing out of Miami at the beginning of September and switch to the Breakaway out of NYC for later that month. I have no concerns about NCL being able to sail with 100% vaccination out of NY.

But how does waiting and seeing help when the other lines are adopting different strategies?  

2 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

But how does waiting and seeing help when the other lines are adopting different strategies?  

Because they might be able to adopt some version of what the other lines are doing for their FL sailings. Right now Carnival is saying they will sail 100% vaccinated as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

No one knows yet! That is a hot topic in some of the other cruise line forums for cruise lines that are sailing out of FL sooner than NCL. Celebrity sails on June 26 and as of right now, they have said they do not require proof of vaccination, but only 5% of capacity is allocated to passenger who do not "volunteer" proof of vaccination. So, as of right now it seems that if you show up at port on the day of the sailing and do not "volunteer" your proof of vaccination you will be designated one of the 5%. If you are one of the 5% who makes it on board, you will be subject to frequent COVID testing at your own expense, you will be required to wear a mask at all times outside of your stateroom, and you will be prohibited from entering certain areas of the ship. If you do not "volunteer" your proof of vaccination and the 5% is already full, you get turned away at the pier.

Not only will that generate a bunch of lawsuits, it's inconsistent with the Florida law.  Celebrity is trying to bluff DeSantis.  He will call their bluff with $5000 fines for every passenger who is turned away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not only will that generate a bunch of lawsuits, it's inconsistent with the Florida law.  Celebrity is trying to bluff DeSantis.  He will call their bluff with $5000 fines for every passenger who is turned away.

We'll find out in just 8 more days!

41 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

He will call their bluff with $5000 fines for every passenger who is turned away.

I doubt it. I don't see the cruise lines ever paying a dime in fines. More likely their lawyers will find clever ways of getting the info they need without running afoul of FL law. Where there's money to be made, people can always find a way around the rules.

14 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I doubt it. I don't see the cruise lines ever paying a dime in fines. More likely their lawyers will find clever ways of getting the info they need without running afoul of FL law. Where there's money to be made, people can always find a way around the rules.

The law is very clear.  One cannot make vaccination a condition for service.  

There are those who are adamantly against vaccination and they will be on watch looking for those 'clever ways'.  

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The law is very clear.  One cannot make vaccination a condition for service.  

There are those who are adamantly against vaccination and they will be on watch looking for those 'clever ways'.  

These people who are “adamantly against vaccination” I’m assuming (hoping) can at least acknowledge that Covid is real, correct? If so, they’re aware that it’s highly contagious and an outbreak on a cruise ship, which would mostly infect unvaccinated passengers, is a horrible situation for the cruise industry. With that being said, why are these people so hellbent on cruising? I get it, cruising is a lot of fun. However, choosing not to be vaccinated, and then choosing to board a ship knowing that you could be contributing to a potential outbreak that could derail the trip for everyone, is incredibly selfish in my opinion. Cruising is a privilege, not a right. 

Edited by Murph269
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 3:40 PM, Goldconnection said:

There is always one in the bunch. I guess there is some truth to what they say. Ignorant people don’t know they’re ignorant. What I wear in my car is none of your business and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or my post. In case you missed it, we are talking about cruising. Thank you! 

Mask wearing is the new “formal night” 😎. why ANYONE would care about what others do (or wear) on their own bodies (especially on a cruise vacation) is beyond me. 

On 6/18/2021 at 10:14 AM, trivimp said:

Him:  No sympathy, you should try it with a hearing aid

I wear hearing aids and it was quite difficult wearing a mask. Always coming out of my ear when I would take the mask off. I was paranoid of loosing my $3,000 hearing aid.

7 hours ago, Murph269 said:

These people who are “adamantly against vaccination” I’m assuming (hoping) can at least acknowledge that Covid is real, correct? If so, they’re aware that it’s highly contagious and an outbreak on a cruise ship, which would mostly infect unvaccinated passengers, is a horrible situation for the cruise industry. With that being said, why are these people so hellbent on cruising? I get it, cruising is a lot of fun. However, choosing not to be vaccinated, and then choosing to board a ship knowing that you could be contributing to a potential outbreak that could derail the trip for everyone, is incredibly selfish in my opinion. Cruising is a privilege, not a right. 

I've been debating numerous persons who are “adamantly against vaccination”.  Granted, this is just my opinion based upon my experiences but, no, they do not acknowledge that COVID is real.  They claim the death counts are overstated by orders of magnitude.  They make that claim about the case numbers as well.  I've had some claim that the death toll from adverse reactions to the vaccines far exceed the deaths from the virus. 

Since they do not admit the severity of the virus, they would have little problem in boarding a ship without vaccination.  If an outbreaks resulted, then they would simply claim that the outbreak didn't occur, it was fabricated to force people to take the vaccines.  Quite a few simply believe this is a manufactured crisis designed to boost the profits for the pharmaceutical companies.  Others also believe that the vaccines were designed by Bill Gates as part of a plan to reduce the worlds population to 'sustainable' levels.  The conspiracy virus is rampant in those "adamantly against vaccines".   

I don't have issues with those who do not want to take the vaccines.  I do have issues with those spreading false and misleading information in an attempt to convince others not to take the vaccines too.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Murph269 said:

I'm envisioning people who already had covid last year so they believe that they don't need a vaccine since they already had it. Now, the CDC says those who had it should be vaccinated, but I can imagine people thinking it's not really necessary for them if they already had it.

Another argument I hear when someone unvaccinated gets sick is about how vaccinated people can get sick too, and sometimes vaccinated people get hospitalized and even die. They then argue that since a fully vaccinated cruise still holds the possibility of people testing positive it doesn't matter if people are vaccinated or not, covid could happen no matter what you do. Not a very logical argument in my mind as you're talking about vastly different probabilities but nevertheless, these are the types of arguments I see.

Oh, and a final argument I see is "if you're vaccinated, why do you care what I do?" Which doesn't help if it's possible that their being unvaccinated can change the rules for everyone on the ship, like making everyone have to wear masks, or ports being skipped because a few people come down with covid, or things like that.

So, not great arguments, but those are the ones I've seen. 

• Like 2