Cunard cancel 2022 World cruises for QM2 and QV

Mickb

Cunard have cancelled the 2022 World Cruises for QM2 and Queen Victoria. They don’t think that there will be enough ports open. Queen Victoria is not scheduled to cruise again until April 22.

Begs the question - will Zaandam’s 2022 World Cruise actually sail?

39 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

It may or may not but if it does, the itinerary will be quite different from what currently exists.

Agree.  I think anyone sailing in the next few months needs to be prepared for itinerary changes.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kazu said:

Agree.  I think anyone sailing in the next few months needs to be prepared for itinerary changes.

I agree as well. If I were going (wishful thinking 🤣) I wouldn't complain about the ports, or lack of. I'd sit back, and enjoy the ride. 🍺🌴

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

wow issues still in 2022.  gosh feel bad for those who like these long cruises.

the world may never truly recover from this pandemic sad to say.

I agree. Invasive weeds, pollution and diseases because of human activity all over the Earth has consequences. 

From what I’ve heard, the Cunard World Cruise is more of a Hop on Hop off than a full voyage. It would be much more difficult to change the itinerary radically at short notice if you have large numbers of passengers embarking and debarking in a high number of ports.

If most of your passengers are on for the full voyage, even major itinerary changes are an inconvenience, not a disaster.

I think like most World Cruises - it is a mixture of segments and full voyage passengers. Personally I am glad that companies do this as in 2023 we want to find a segment from Hong Kong to the UK or Europe. If the world voyages did not accept segment passengers this option would not be available to us.

I don’t think Cunard is much different to others.

38 minutes ago, Mickb said:

I think like most World Cruises - it is a mixture of segments and full voyage passengers. Personally I am glad that companies do this as in 2023 we want to find a segment from Hong Kong to the UK or Europe. If the world voyages did not accept segment passengers this option would not be available to us.

I don’t think Cunard is much different to others.

I don't have the numbers so perhaps someone else can chime in.  It is my understanding, however, that Cunard has more segments relative to their itinerary than does HAL.  Is that correct?  How many segments were scheduled, for instance on the HAL 2020 WC?

6 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I don't have the numbers so perhaps someone else can chime in.  It is my understanding, however, that Cunard has more segments relative to their itinerary than does HAL.  Is that correct?  How many segments were scheduled, for instance on the HAL 2020 WC?

HAL's WC segments are limited in order to maximize the number of full-cruise passengers. Waitlists are used to allot spaces remaining near the time of sailing.  Changeovers usually occur at ports visited overnight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim9310 said:

HAL's WC segments are limited in order to maximize the number of full-cruise passengers. Waitlists are used to allot spaces remaining near the time of sailing.  Changeovers usually occur at ports visited overnight.

How many segments were scheduled for HAL's 2020 WC?  On every overnight?  If so, what is the difference between Cunard's segments and HAL's?  I ask because I was interested in a 74-day segment on Cunard's 2023 WC, on the Victoria.  Unfortunately, all the Grill suites are sold out.

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

How many segments were scheduled for HAL's 2020 WC?  On every overnight?  If so, what is the difference between Cunard's segments and HAL's?  I ask because I was interested in a 74-day segment on Cunard's 2023 WC, on the Victoria.  Unfortunately, all the Grill suites are sold out.

Cunard typically has MANY more people on segments than HAL.  I don't think it would necessarily be be every overnight but probably close to once a week on port intensive parts of the itinerary.  I suspect they will open the segments for booking pretty much the same time they open the full cruise to booking.  This is what cruisetimetables has for embarkation dates:

Capture.JPG.e0133aee6e22f30362ca9e5e8b36e471.JPG

One note of caution.  Cunard has a strange tradition of offering different segments to different nationalities.  For example, my first cruise on Victoria was a segment from Bangkok to Dubai.  I think most nationalities boarded about 3 days later, I think in Port Klang.  Still, those dates should give you a rough idea of what to expect.  If Grills are booked you might have a look at Britannia Club.

Roy

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I don’t know about HAL’s 2020 WC.  Here’s an example of 2022 WC differences:

On cruisetimetables.com, there are no segments listed for Zaandam’s WC departing from Fort Lauderdale on Jan 3, 2022. 

I was on their waitlist from Fort Lauderdale to Singapore, behind a few others.  Eventually, my TA discouraged me from staying on the waitlist, because full-cruise passengers were filling the ship. He advised me to obtain an alternative winter cruise.   I readily booked 2 segments (78 nights) on Queen Mary 2 from New York to Singapore, via Sydney.

Edited by Jim9310

4 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

If you go on the HAL site and choose plan and then “inactive” (way at the bottom) then you should be able to see all of the segments for the WC or WGV.  Hope this helps.

I’ve sadly gotten used to finding and looking at the inactive listing 

I don't understand why on God's green earth many lines are scrapping or selling smaller ships.  Seems to me there are people that would pay a pretty penny for a world cruise on vessels that meet capacities for most ports.  If anything they should have kept them a few more years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I believe there were 4 segments on 2020 WC although it might have been 5.

I was scheduled for the Singapore to Sydney after waitlisting. Found out we cleared the list 13 months out. We seemed to be the only ones on cc that got a segment.

Of course we know how our segment ended up! Shortly before we left, Singapore was cancelled then itin changed then the mad scramble for those onboard.

Waitlisted on 23 WC segment but not optimistic this time since waitlist for full cruise is so full they cut it off. 

15 hours ago, kazu said:

If you go on the HAL site and choose plan and then “inactive” (way at the bottom) then you should be able to see all of the segments for the WC or WGV.  Hope this helps.

I’ve sadly gotten used to finding and looking at the inactive listing 

Thanks, Kazu.  I would not have known to do that.

• Like 1