Updated Health and Safety Protocols for HAL as of June 17, 2021

LAFFNVEGAS

Hi, I saw the Princess had updated their Health and Safety Protocols as of late yesterday so figured I would check Holland America as well.

Sure enough they are now updated. All looks good to me and as I suspected they were.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html

Health & Safety Protocols For Your Cruise

A Safer Way To Cruise And Travel — Updated June 17, 2021

At Holland America Line, our highest priorities are compliance, environmental protection and the health, safety and well-being of our guests, crew and the communities we visit.

Our 2021 cruises in Alaska and Europe are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination. Requirements for other future itineraries will be announced as available, in accordance with CDC guidelines and as updated travel protocols are provided by governments, ports and public health authorities.

As these cruises are for vaccinated guests, we will continue to offer the award-winning cruise experience that Holland America Line is known for, with very few changes to the onboard experience. Dining will be available in The Dining Room, specialty restaurants, popular casual venues (our team will serve you at all times, even in the Lido buffet), and in-room dining. Enhanced reservation systems will be available via our website and Navigator® app to make planning your dining reservations easier than ever before or during your cruise. Entertainment will be in full swing throughout all our popular live music venues and World Stage, along with engaging activities and enrichment programming.

Pre-Cruise
Travel &
Embarkation

Use.jpg

REVIEW ALL TRAVEL PROTOCOLS
In addition to cruise protocols, guests should ensure they understand requirements for traveling from their home country to the destinations they plan to visit (including air travel guidelines). The latest information is available on government agency and/or tourism ministry official websites.

Use%20App.jpg

DOWNLOAD THE NAVIGATOR® APP
This is your essential tool for pre-cruise tools and forms, embarkation updates, onboard experiences and shore excursions. Learn more here.

Checklist-icon.png

COMPLETE REQUIRED FORMS
All guests must complete the pre-cruise Health Questionnaire and Vaccine Attestation, and accept the Passage Contract and Risk Acceptance.

Screening.jpg

PRE-CRUISE TESTING & EMBARKATION SCREENING
Requirements may vary based on destination. Please see additional information below. Fully vaccinated guests on Alaska 2021 sailings will not require pre-cruise COVID-19 testing. Requirements for fully vaccinated guests on Europe 2021 sailings are being finalized in accordance with local governments.

While Cruising

wash.jpg

PERSONAL HYGIENE
Guests will be encouraged to use hand-washing sinks and hand sanitizer dispensers at venue entrances and in high-traffic areas throughout the ship. Guests will be asked to follow health information about ways to stay healthy on board and ashore through daily programming, entertainment systems, announcements, in-room literature and our Navigator App.

Sanitation.jpg

ENHANCED ENVIRONMENTAL SANITATION
Public areas and staterooms will be thoroughly and frequently cleaned using a safe disinfectant proven to kill coronaviruses.

Med%20Emergency.jpg

MEDICAL CARE
Our highly trained medical staff includes doctors and nurses capable of caring for a broad range of medical conditions, including dealing with COVID-19 patients. Medical centers will be equipped with COVID appropriate testing and treatment capabilities.

Ventilate.jpg

VENTILATION
Ships will have enhanced air filtration with a combination of increased fresh air and upgraded HVAC units with MERV13 (F7) filters throughout. Onboard Medical Centers will have HEPA filtration.

Soc%20Distance.jpg

MASKS & PHYSICAL DISTANCING
Masks and physical distancing will not be required for 2021 Alaska fully vaccinated guests while on board. Guidelines for 2021 Europe sailings are being finalized.

thumbs up icon

SHORESIDE EXPERIENCES
We will follow the health protocols for every port we visit. In Alaska both Holland America Line approved excursions and independent activities are allowed for vaccinated guests. For Europe the guidelines will soon be finalized.

FAQ

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Covid approved vaccins.

Given that astra zenica is not (yet) approved bij the fda, and AZ vaccinated people cannot go to concerts in the states, are they not allowed to board?

Thinking about Canadians and for instance dutch 60 to 65 year olds.

29 minutes ago, jakkojakko said:

Covid approved vaccins.

Given that astra zenica is not (yet) approved bij the fda, and AZ vaccinated people cannot go to concerts in the states, are they not allowed to board?

Buried in the fine print the “approved” vaccines also include WHO vaccines.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MARYVB said:

They are speaking of 2021 Alaska and Europe. What about the 2021 Caribbean cruises? I saw no mention of that.

While you can book a Caribbean Fall cruise, Holland America has NOT actually given the Official word what shat ships and when they are sailing Caribbean. The only ship that is semi confirmed is Eurodam TA and the sailing immeidiately after the TA. At this point I think they want to get Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska sailing with no problems, then Eurodam in Greece and then Rotterdam start up.

They are still working on getting the final approval from CDC for the Nieuw Amsterdam to sail Alaska. I think there will be several changes and updates along the way before they give final word for sailing Caribbean. I also suspect NOT ALL ships will be sailing in 2021. There will definitely be more cancellations and Move Over Offers.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MARYVB said:

They are speaking of 2021 Alaska and Europe. What about the 2021 Caribbean cruises? I saw no mention of that.

Still a long way off in Covid time. Europe and Alaska are only a month away. Caribbean is almost 5 months away.

1 hour ago, SLC1954 said:

Buried in the fine print the “approved” vaccines also include WHO vaccines.

That just tells me that HAL will accept all approved vaccines. The problem could be that the USA might not let you into the country if you have an Astrazeneca vaccine.

2 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

Covid approved vaccins.

Since AZ has received emergency use listing from the WHO not an issue.

The FAQ says

Acceptable vaccines are those that have an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or will have received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, shrimpboat123 said:

That just tells me that HAL will accept all approved vaccines. The problem could be that the USA might not let you into the country if you have an Astrazeneca vaccine.

The US does not have a covid vaccine requirement for entering the country.  The only requirement is a negative COVID test before an international flight to the US.

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Since AZ has received emergency use listing from the WHO not an issue.

The FAQ says

Acceptable vaccines are those that have an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or will have received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO).

Point taken.

But what if it evolves to this:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/astrazeneca-vaccine-bruce-springsteen-on-broadway-concert-new-york-b941311.html

10 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

While you can book a Caribbean Fall cruise, Holland America has NOT actually given the Official word what shat ships and when they are sailing Caribbean. The only ship that is semi confirmed is Eurodam TA and the sailing immeidiately after the TA. 

What constitutes Official Word?

13 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

What constitutes Official Word?

They are only stating that this new protocol is for Alaska, and some for Europe but Europe will be updated. They have not mentioned Caribbean and what their protocol will be so that constitues that there is NO Official Word on that,. Once it is mentioned on the Holland America web site I consider that as Offcial Word.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

They are only stating that this new protocol is for Alaska, and some for Europe but Europe will be updated. They have not mentioned Caribbean and what their protocol will be so that constitues that there is NO Official Word on that,. Once it is mentioned on the Holland America web site I consider that as Offcial Word.

Me too.  👍 Anxiously awaiting the word on the European cruises.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Me too.  👍 Anxiously awaiting the word on the European cruises.

You and me both.  We are on the Eurodam for 2 weeks in August and I want to start planning my shore excursions.  There are 3 of us - and the shore excursion I just looked at was $170 pp.  That means $540 for the day and there are 6-7 stops!  Ugh!  I usually take 1 or 2 of the ship's excursions and then plan out the rest myself with local vendors for lower price and smaller groups.  

On 6/18/2021 at 2:35 PM, shrimpboat123 said:

You can fly to the US from Canada right now, and you don't need to be vaccinated at all.

L.

On 6/18/2021 at 2:35 PM, shrimpboat123 said:

USA doesn't have a vaccine requirement to fly into the USA. It does have a testing requirement...a negative test within 72 hours of your flight.

Yes, but it says the guidelines for Europe have not been finalized.  I want to know whether I can go off the ship on my own.  Here is what I found on their website.  Doesn't really say much.  If I have to go on HAL Shore Excursions only, we so be it.  But please don't tell me there is "a reduction in capacity" of excursions and tour vehicles.  Sounds like if they run out of space, we must have to stay onboard, and that is obviously NOT acceptable.  I'm starting to be glad I took the "cancel for any reason" insurance!

We’re working with local authorities, destinations and tour operators so that the enhanced health and safety measures on board are maintained ashore. We will follow the health protocols for every port we visit. There may be a reduction in the capacity of excursions and tour vehicles. Only shore excursions that comply with our prescribed protocols will be permitted, with strict adherence required of all guests and denial of re-boarding for any guests who do not comply.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:55 AM, rucrazy said:

I believe all the current vaccines are approved for COVID.. Depending on country of residence.

so that equates+ Get the shot.. Get to Booking.. Get to Cruising!

I don't believe either the Chinese or Russian vaccines have been approved by the WHO, and are therefore not acceptable.