Well, I found what looks great on RSSC Voyager. New to Regent.

I hope this works out.  Voyager on March 26 which visits a few ports we have not been to. It begins in Rome, which we love, so we can explore before the cruise. 

I'd appreciate opinions of the deluxe veranda suite which I believe is 320' with a 50 ' balcony.  Also the added benefit of a concierge suite.

I have just started to to research RSSC so I'm sure I'll have a few other questions in a few days.

On Voyager you would want a Cat G on Deck 6.  I go for the Cat H but G is just a bit more expensive and a slightly better location.  If you are going to stay at your own hotel in Rome, the Concierge Suite hotel doesn't get you anything although the transfer is nice.  No other real reason to go for concierge as I think excursions open to everyone pretty soon.

We've been on the voyager twice in the Med. Booked concierge because we were new to Europe and wanted the hotel overnight & transfers. If you are already in Italy and don't need the hotel, the deluxe veranda suites are the same. If you are on your own, the port is quite a distance from Rome.

If/when you're staying at a hotel in Rome Pre-cruise (whether you book it yourself or use Regent's hotel) your hotel front desk will be glad to book/reserve/obtain a limo/cab for you, which will take you from the hotel on "cruise morning" up to Civitavecchia, where the cruise ship terminal is located, and drop you and your luggage right at curbside check-in.  A private limo will cost you about $100 (plus a tip) and it will take about 45 minutes to get there from central Rome.  It's a nice/lovely treat before the cruise to be riding in the comfort of your own Mercedes limo up there to the ship, rather than being on a big tour bus with 30-40 other people, "schlepping along all there bags" (IMHO).  Considering the total cost of the cruise ($15K-$20K minimum)..."what's a 100+ bucks" for that little bit of "extra luxury"?  😜

• Like 2

I agree the private limo is a good idea..but I differ with you on one matter.  We were on a bus to Civitavecchia  but it was a pleasant trip and nobody was "schlerpping along all their bags". Except for our carry ons Regent took care of all the luggage. Maybe you were on a different cruise line.

All the suites D to H grade are the same layout and large size, so it all comes down to whether you prefer the location of the Concierge suites(D & E) or want/need the additional concierge amenities (pre-cruise hotel; priority booking for excursions & dining; 10% discount for premium wines; 15 mins phone time; extra device log-ins).

If you prefer the D or E suites but want to do your own thing in Rome pre-cruise you can take a credit for the Regent hotel.

You will not need the priority booking for excursions as for a cruise next March the booking window is already open to all (300 days in advance of the cruise)

Since you are new to Regent don't forget to avail yourself of the Ambassador Programme perk, by getting a past Regent guest to refer you.

Have a great time planning your cruise 😎

10 hours ago, honumaui said:

We were on a bus to Civitavecchia  but it was a pleasant trip and nobody was "schlerpping along all their bags". Except for our carry ons Regent took care of all the luggage.

I agree. Regent always takes care of porterage for luggage.

However, on a past Regent cruise out of Civitavecchia, our bus broke down twice; the driver did not speak English and Regent's supplied emergency number was unmanned.

With help from the guests, much sign language & Italian arm waving the bus was finally restarted and limped to the port.

Not a "luxury" experience 🤨

• Like 2

We have always been very comfortable in Voyagers Veranda Suites.  We have no issues with hotels or transfers in cities where we have been before.  We have upgraded to a Concierge suite on the Mariner for a cruise starting out of Tokyo.  Having never been to this part of the world I want the extra help with transfers, etc.

Sorry, my error. Our experience with a Horizon suite on the stern with vibration and shaking would make us look for a suite some distance from the stern. However, our experience was years ago, so hopefully others with more recent experience will chime in.

Regent is very hierarchical in booking excursions and specialty restaurants.  That is people in higher suites and frequent travelers get a big advantage.  On our first Regent cruise (Voyager) we got the third level veranda suite and got shut out of a couple excursions and had to take dining reservations at un popular times (last night).   The cruise was only 60% full.   It wasn't the end of the world but important to know.  Flossie states that excursions are now open (300 days) to everyone, I'm quite sure that's a change for base veranda room for new cruisers.  The veranda rooms on the Voyager were very spacious and we had a decent location.

Our second cruise (Mariner & 100%full) we decided to go with the Concierge Suite and it made a big difference in our priority for excursions & specialty dining.  If you are new and on a full cruise, which is likely with pent up demand, and excursions reservations aren't available I'd go with the concierge.  The free night and discounts are also nice.  Other than the perks Concierge rooms are the same as Veranda rooms, usually just a better location.

If you are booking your own air travel make sure to get exact specifics on transfers & free hotels, its not very clear.   Transfers can be very costly.  Regent offered us a bus transfer for 2 from LHR to Southampton for $500, we got a private sedan for $225.   We've had some transfers that were reasonable but its important to check.  Quite often you can get a private car for the same or less money.

Tours were very important to us as we were on our first med cruise (Voyager) which was port intensive. Glad we got the concierge level with advance choices. Got every tour we chose and they were all very well organized. Also, having never been to Italy, the hotel package was also important to us. If you are a frequent European traveler and these things are unimportant, the other suites are the same and equally spacious and comfortable. Only difference may be location preferences.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Sorry, my error. Our experience with a Horizon suite on the stern with vibration and shaking would make us look for a suite some distance from the stern. However, our experience was years ago, so hopefully others with more recent experience will chime in.

We tend to avoid the stern on all ships, especially the lower decks.

5 hours ago, flossie009 said:

All the suites D to H grade are the same layout and large size, so it all comes down to whether you prefer the location of the Concierge suites(D & E) or want/need the additional concierge amenities (pre-cruise hotel; priority booking for excursions & dining; 10% discount for premium wines; 15 mins phone time; extra device log-ins).

If you prefer the D or E suites but want to do your own thing in Rome pre-cruise you can take a credit for the Regent hotel.

You will not need the priority booking for excursions as for a cruise next March the booking window is already open to all (300 days in advance of the cruise)

Since you are new to Regent don't forget to avail yourself of the Ambassador Programme perk, by getting a past Regent guest to refer you.

Have a great time planning your cruise 😎

I agree. Regent always takes care of porterage for luggage.

However, on a past Regent cruise out of Civitavecchia, our bus broke down twice; the driver did not speak English and Regent's supplied emergency number was unmanned.

With help from the guests, much sign language & Italian arm waving the bus was finally restarted and limped to the port.

Not a "luxury" experience 🤨

Any idea how much the hotel credit is if you book concierge, but don't stay in their hotel? 

Which hotels does Regent try to use in Rome?

46 minutes ago, rervousneck said:

Any idea how much the hotel credit is if you book concierge, but don't stay in their hotel? 

For your cruise, the hotel credit would be $180.00 per person or $360.00 for a couple.

Dave

14 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Our one experience with Voyager suites makes us hesitant to book a suite to far to the stern due to vibration and shaking we experienced in a Hoizon 

🤔 I thought Horizon suites were only on Mariner not Voyager?

I assume you are referring to the Penthouse C suites looking out at the wake on Voyager.

I agree that Voyager has some vibration towards the aft; very minor IMO & usually occurs when docking or manoeuvring in port.

We try to book a G grade towards the front of Voyager (deck 7).

• Like 1