Mariner Points

rucrazy

In the past you received Mariner points for onboard spending, you earned Cruise Day credits for every day you cruise and for each purchase you make onboard. Bonus credits were added when you sailed in a suite or penthouse and for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases.

If everything is included ... how will they calculate points now?

Just asking for a friend!

Edited by rucrazy

1 minute ago, rucrazy said:

In the past you received mariner points for onboard spending, you earned Cruise Day credits for every day you cruise and for each purchase you make onboard. Bonus credits were added when you sailed in a suite or penthouse and for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases.

If everything is included ... how will they calculate points now?

Just asking for a friend!

They are calculated the same way as they were before.  If you have the SBP the cost for it is added into your on board spending.  Your extra spending over and above what’s included is still added in.

Hope this makes sense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

If you have the SBP the cost for it is added into your on board spending.

@kazu  So are you saying in the case of the Have it all promotion, it is dissected and certain elements are added to you point total?

23 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

@kazu  So are you saying in the case of the Have it all promotion, it is dissected and certain elements are added to you point total?

Yes, at least that is what happened to us the one time we had the perks.  I remember being able to see the SBP & HSC on the Navigator app for our account at one stage.  There was no other way we could have achieved the max daily spend points for the cruise.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tom_Cruise said:

I believe there has always been a limit on the number of bonus days, currently 1 per sailing day per person.  You can't buy more.

???  Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the on board spending allowance for every $300 spent?  You earn 1 point for every day of your cruise, if in a suite, double (2 points) and 1 point for every $300 in on board spending (includes things ordered on the HAL site in advance as long as you are on the cruise).  There is a limit to the $300 spending in that you can only earn 1 point per day.  Ie 7 day cruise - $2100 gets you 7 days.  $2800 still gets you 7 days. 😉 

36 minutes ago, Tom_Cruise said:

I believe there has always been a limit on the number of bonus days, currently 1 per sailing day per person.  You can't buy more.

Absolutely not true. You get a point per day. You get a bonus point for being in a suite. You can get a point per day for spending. So a total of 3 points per day.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveOKC said:

Great deal - I never had that happen in the past.

It shocked me as well.... but I figured hey it's not my job to keep tabs on spending for points... if they want to be generous .. I say Thank you Very Much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rucrazy said:

It shocked me as well.... but I figured hey it's not my job to keep tabs on spending for points... if they want to be generous .. I say Thank you Very Much

HAL has been known to generously round up on spending for points.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 6:41 AM, kazu said:

They are calculated the same way as they were before.  If you have the SBP the cost for it is added into your on board spending.  Your extra spending over and above what’s included is still added in.

Hope this makes sense.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:41 AM, kazu said:

Hope this makes sense.

That matches the points count during my Viking Passage voyage on Rotterdam. The extra three days beyond my calculated on-board/excursion spend must have been the included beverage package. 

On 6/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, kazu said:

???  Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the on board spending allowance for every $300 spent?  You earn 1 point for every day of your cruise, if in a suite, double (2 points) and 1 point for every $300 in on board spending (includes things ordered on the HAL site in advance as long as you are on the cruise).  There is a limit to the $300 spending in that you can only earn 1 point per day.  Ie 7 day cruise - $2100 gets you 7 days.  $2800 still gets you 7 days. 😉 

So if I understand correctly, even though I pre-purchased and paid for shore excursions before the cruise on the HAL site, I will be given credit for them as part of my on-board spending?

That would be great on our Hawaii cruise in January, and would push us into 4 star.

13 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

So if I understand correctly, even though I pre-purchased and paid for shore excursions before the cruise on the HAL site, I will be given credit for them as part of my on-board spending?

That would be great on our Hawaii cruise in January, and would push us into 4 star.

Correct!  Same goes for any gifts you purchase for yourself ahead of time, specialty dinners, liquor, etc.

57 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Absolutely.  Anything you purchase on line pre-cruise (except on board spending credits - that applies when you spend it 😉 ) applies to your cruise as long as you are on board and sail.

So, go ahead and book, whether it be shore excursions or PG dinner, etc.  You’ll be fine and get full credit.  I always do 😉

• Like 1

Thanks, Jacqui! I’ve not paid much attention to the program until we began approaching 4 star. That free laundry is appealing.

We rarely buy shore excursions, usually preferring to make private arrangements, but for Hawaii in January, I was concerned months ago that independent wandering might be prohibited by local Covid policies. So I splurged on helicopter tours, etc. - and this is our long-hoped for 40th anniversary celebration anyway (delayed a couple of years thanks to C19).

13 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Thanks, Jacqui! I’ve not paid much attention to the program until we began approaching 4 star. That free laundry is appealing.

Making 4 Star is a big deal IMO.  Free laundry, VIP boarding, and 50% discounts for wine packages and mini bar items are big ones for us!

We just made 5 Star and our next cruise will FINALLY be our first at that level, so really want to see that.

• Like 2

You also receive credit for medical expense incurred while on board.   I did rather well based on the medical treatment I received on our last and what is probably our final cruise.

10 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Making 4 Star is a big deal IMO.  Free laundry, VIP boarding, and 50% discounts for wine packages and mini bar items are big ones for us!

We just made 5 Star and our next cruise will FINALLY be our first at that level, so really want to see that.

I’m not trying to be a negative nilly, Dave but there’s not that much more for 5* when you compare the difference between 3 and 4* & 4 and 5*.  Enjoy your free PG dinners on board 🙂 

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m not trying to be a negative nilly, Dave but there’s not that much more for 5* when you compare the difference between 3 and 4* & 4 and 5*.  Enjoy your free PG dinners on board 🙂 

True, but at some ports they let the 5 Stars board before the 4s.  Also, I thought we get a one day pass to the thermal pool?

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

True, but at some ports they let the 5 Stars board before the 4s.  Also, I thought we get a one day pass to the thermal pool?

I believe the one day pass is still in effect but remember if it is, it’s for port days only - not sea days.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I believe the one day pass is still in effect but remember if it is, it’s for port days only - not sea days.

Thanks - on our next cruise we are just doing the Tropical Caribbean with all ports we have been to before, so staying onboard is not a problem.