LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So excited to hear reports from actual folks about “our” ship.  Glad to hear the rumor I heard a month or so ago is true and that Jenna is the CD.  Could one of you fine folks aboard take a picture of the officer’s roster and post it.  It is located just outside The Chef’s Table near the elevators. 
TIA- have fun!!!!

I will try to do this today!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I will try to do this today!

We’ll be stopping by the ship in about 2 hours. Remember to throw us that cinnamon roll! We’ll be the ones looking up wistfully at you lucky passengers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, vslparis said:

I scanned the barcode on the back which brought up a company called Twilio. Also printed on there is -TTAT 198331.  Have no idea if that is a model number or not but perhaps this will help

The 6 digit number is assigned to you on the ships database.

We needed to exchange ours around half way thru our 7 night cruise as they started to flash red indicating that the battery needed recharging.

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We are going tonight.  Xiang menu.  Then the British one, then our favorite, Asian Panarama on the last night.  We are going to all three.  Sorry, I don’t have the menus yet.

Last time that we had Xiang, this was the menu:

Xiang

Amuse Bouche

Hot & Sour Soup - cantonese style

First Course

Fried Prawns - crispy garlic & chili

Granité

Coconut Granité - lemongrass & ginger infused

Main Course

Wok-Fried Beef - black pepper sauce, rice in lotus leaf

Dessert

Chilled Mango Cream - pomelo and sago

The last time we had Asian Panorama this was the menu:

Asian Panorama

Amuse Bouche

Chilled King Crab - coconut foam & curry

First Course

Lobster & Chicken Shu Mai - Shanghai style

Granité

Lemongrass & Red Chili Granité - lychee foam

Main Course

Peking Duck - crispy skin, Mandarin pancake, hoisin sauce

Dessert

Asian Trilogy - spring roll, crème brûlée & cheesecake

Have never had the British on yet.   Please let us know if either of the first two menus changed and what the British one is.   Thanks.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

When we booked our shorex, doing our own thing was not an option and most of us did not do research on on them. If you have more questions, about booking shorex, independent tours and when it will be your turn to book shorex, please ask them in Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022 . The topic has been well covered in that thread.

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

When we booked our shorex, doing our own thing was not an option and most of us did not do research on on them. If you have more questions, about booking shorex, independent tours and when it will be your turn to book shorex, please ask them in Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022 . The topic has been well covered in that thread.

Thanks for all your great info and work.

1 hour ago, Dukefan said:

Last time that we had Xiang, this was the menu:

Xiang

Amuse Bouche

Hot & Sour Soup - cantonese style

First Course

Fried Prawns - crispy garlic & chili

Granité

Coconut Granité - lemongrass & ginger infused

Main Course

Wok-Fried Beef - black pepper sauce, rice in lotus leaf

Dessert

Chilled Mango Cream - pomelo and sago

The last time we had Asian Panorama this was the menu:

Asian Panorama

Amuse Bouche

Chilled King Crab - coconut foam & curry

First Course

Lobster & Chicken Shu Mai - Shanghai style

Granité

Lemongrass & Red Chili Granité - lychee foam

Main Course

Peking Duck - crispy skin, Mandarin pancake, hoisin sauce

Dessert

Asian Trilogy - spring roll, crème brûlée & cheesecake

Have never had the British on yet.   Please let us know if either of the first two menus changed and what the British one is.   Thanks.

Is this menu for Chef's Table or what?

2 hours ago, Glenndale said:

The 6 digit number is assigned to you on the ships database.

We needed to exchange ours around half way thru our 7 night cruise as they started to flash red indicating that the battery needed recharging.

Would you please post a picture or more of a description? Thanks

14 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

No, I think,not.  Once I got Iceland’s Viking said we were free to go.  Never did hear from them, however.  In my opinion, the saliva test we have to take every day is worse than the nasal swab!  Ugh.

I'm going to be boarding Viking after Iceland is expected to stop their testing upon arrival.   I suppose it's possible Viking will then require us to stay on the ship or in our staterooms until the results of their test is back, depending upon the Covid situation at the time. Hopefully someone cruising after Iceland drops their testing requirement (expected July 1, so very soon!) will update us if that's the case.  

Thanks to all for contributing to this very helpful thread!  It sounds wonderful on board!

Hey folks! Long time stalker, first time poster on this thread. We’re on the 7/17 cruise. Can someone describe hoe embarkation went? Also, was it possible to book excursions once on board? We have two empty days and are hoping to get optional excursions, not the 1.5 hour walking-around-town included ones. Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PeabodyMa said:

Please, what is the brand name of the tracking device (contact tracer)? My friend wants to ensure it will not interfere with her medical device. If there's also a model number, then that would be helpful.

Thank you for taking time to help us.

For a medical issue such as this, please don't "ask a friend".  Please Go right to the source and write to tellus@vikingcruise.com to ask them for the specs on the device.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PeabodyMa said:

Please, what is the brand name of the tracking device (contact tracer)? My friend wants to ensure it will not interfere with her medical device. If there's also a model number, then that would be helpful.

Thank you for taking time to help us.

I admit I'm not directly answering your question, but I strongly suspect that the device uses Bluetooth. If I'm correct, then if your friend can be around smartphones then the device won't be a problem. It might also use GPS, also typical on smartphones. Also, your friend will hardly be the only one with a medical device, so if this would interfere with it then Viking will have some serious problems.

Of course I acknowledge that I'm guessing, so as Pellegrina said, ask Viking directly. 

• Thanks 1

Someone on "Il Libro del Viso" mentioned that there are midges at the Geysir on the Golden Circle. There will probably be many more if you take the nature tour from Akureyri. They don't bite, but there can be so many that they are always in your mouth, nose, etc. People may want to consider buying a bug net for your face and bringing a wide brimmed hat for the net to go over and stay off your face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PHreuD said:

Hey folks! Long time stalker, first time poster on this thread. We’re on the 7/17 cruise. Can someone describe hoe embarkation went? Also, was it possible to book excursions once on board? We have two empty days and are hoping to get optional excursions, not the 1.5 hour walking-around-town included ones. Thanks in advance!

Found out a few things today that are relevant to this first cruise ( and I imagine for the next few, but beyond that it may change as restrictions are loosened ) - 

You  can book shore excursions on board ,if they are available of course .

You can book specialty restaurants on board . 

Looks like you don’t need reservations at The Restaurant once on board if you want to change times. 

For the first 2 days we have only lectures in the Star Theatre in the evening. However, according to our CD Jenna, we will have 3 production shows starting tomorrow .

Torshaven open with the Viking band, but no dancing at the moment .

You are able to book the thermal spa area for multiple days when you get on board. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Peregrina suggested that I periodically repost the link to my summary of what people on board are saying:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rJqx62oEB9Ty8LckUD5NfSUM8HYyC_fs?usp=sharing

That opens a file folder and you'll see "News From First Sailing", plus a folder "Dailies" which will have any images that people upload. FYI I'm not including travelogue type things, just info about Viking and the sailing itself.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Is this menu for Chef's Table or what?

Yes, on the current Iceland Cruise SantaFe1 reported there would be three different Chef's Table Meals each on different nights   They are the Xiang meal, the Asian Panorama meal, and the British meal.   Since we experienced the first two meals on other Viking cruises, I sharded what the menu was for each of these meals when we had them.  It will be interesting to see if any of them has changed.

38 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Found out a few things today that are relevant to this first cruise ( and I imagine for the next few, but beyond that it may change as restrictions are loosened ) - 

You  can book shore excursions on board ,if they are available of course .

You can book specialty restaurants on board . 

Looks like you don’t need reservations at The Restaurant once on board if you want to change times. 

For the first 2 days we have only lectures in the Star Theatre in the evening. However, according to our CD Jenna, we will have 3 production shows starting tomorrow .

Torshaven open with the Viking band, but no dancing at the moment .

You are able to book the thermal spa area for multiple days when you get on board. 

Regarding reservations not required at the Restaurant, if you have a reservation time do they honor it before those waiting?  We chose specific times for medical reasons.

39 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Peregrina suggested that I periodically repost the link to my summary of what people on board are saying:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rJqx62oEB9Ty8LckUD5NfSUM8HYyC_fs?usp=sharing

That opens a file folder and you'll see "News From First Sailing", plus a folder "Dailies" which will have any images that people upload. FYI I'm not including travelogue type things, just info about Viking and the sailing itself.

Foggy, thank you for this.  Another question for excursions especially the longer ones with several stops (Golden Circle or Northern Treasures).  How long do you have at the different stops?  Are you free to walk at your own pace, take photos, explore?  Or do you have to stay with your bus group?  Also curious about the meals provided?  Restaurant stop or box lunch?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We are going tonight.  Xiang menu.  Then the British one, then our favorite, Asian Panarama on the last night.  We are going to all three.  Sorry, I don’t have the menus yet.

SantaFe1, if we’re signed up for nights 3 & 4 at the Chef’s table, will we get different menus? How many days in a row do the menus get served?

TIA

Can someone take pictures of the wine list?  They usually have one red and one white wine for the included wines with lunch and dinner, but we get the drink package and always pick other wines from the list.  Just want to have a chance to peruse them before the July 17 cruise.

Also, has anyone noticed if the drink menu at the bar is the same as always with regard to variety of drinks and price?

Thanks,

Mark

1 hour ago, ValarieDennis said:

SantaFe1, if we’re signed up for nights 3 & 4 at the Chef’s table, will we get different menus? How many days in a row do the menus get served?

TIA

The guy I spoke to said the menu changed every three days.  So we get 3 days of menu 1, 3 days of menu 2, and then only one day of menu 3, which then carries over to the next cruise on July 3, and will be for only two days. So, what I take from this is that it is  changed every three days, Viking time, not individual cruise time, if that makes sense.  So I really can’t answer your question.  But we found it easy to add another reservation, so just check when you board.

• Like 2

Would love to hear any feedback from the included tour today. Was it just a bus tour or were you able to walk some of the downtown?  Did they give you the option of being dropped off downtown to explore on your own after the tour instead of going back to the ship?  Thanks

1 hour ago, ValarieDennis said:

TIA

The rotation of the CT menus and the rotation of passengers are independent. One changes every  third day while the other changes every 7th day.  You have a 1 in 3 chance that they will be different menus, On the SKY, it would be on June 26 sailing, the July, 17, August 7, August 28. On the JUPITER, July 13, August 3 and 24.

• Like 1