LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Viking took us to the airport at 7 for our 11:15 flight.  So we got in line around 8.  Adding to the confusion,  some people on the Delta 9:30 flight were late, and so they stopped the line to process them first.  But there was just one person, and he was doing exhaustive interviews.  Asked how long we’d been married, what our stateroom looked liked, our favorite and least favorite (the airport my DH replied) thing in Iceland.  About 7 minutes worth, go figure.  But we had so much time we were never in danger of missing our flight, and besides with all their passengers in the checkin line, Delta wasn’t going anywhere!  

What???

58 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

All the Icelandair flights out of KEF today are delayed this afternoon except the one to Seattle (even flights to Europe).  Anyone have an idea why?  Weather looks good.

There was some big water leak happening at JFK yesterday. LOTS of delays.  Might be a snowball effect from that. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9754483/JFK-delays-hundreds-flights-control-tower-water-leak-overcrowded-July-4-weekend.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So an hour and a half from plane landing to being ready to leave airport?  Sorry, that second sentence confused me as to whether 9:30 was when you were ready to leave airport or when you arrived at the hall.  
Thanks!

Sorry, still need more sleep! Yes about 1.5 hours from landing to ready to leave airport.  Longest wait was for our bags to arrive.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

That explains it, no way we were still awake at 9pm yesterday  but got great sleep so will try again tonight.

Last week they were open with the Viking band in the 9:30- 10:30 range ( depended if they had to play for a production number ) , but the dance floor has tables and chairs on it so no dancing on the dance floor. I did see several people dancing by their seats thought😉

3 hours ago, Camden lady said:

Question..can you use a printed out copy of the code from Iceland when you arrive or do they insist on cell phone image?  My sister is old school and does not own smartphone.   Thanks

Yes, we showed the printed copy. Some with phones had to step to the side to find it on their phones. I always prefer printed to be safe. 

• Like 2

Question..can you use a printed out copy of the code from Iceland when you arrive or do they insist on cell phone image?  My sister is old school and does not own smartphone.   Thanks

You can print it off and use that  instead of on a phone.

Print out is fine. I took a screen shot of it so I had it electronically because I didn’t know if I’d be able to retrieve email at the airport. Despite having T-Mobile, I was never able to access the internet while in Iceland and not on wi-fi—only able to do texts and phone calls. 

I cut out the bar code and stuck it in a plastic sleeve—had a separate sleeve for my CDC card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

The btitravel.is transfer with Blue Lagoon is US$200 and you can stay as long as you like while they hold your luggage.

Thanks!  Booked it both ways with them and think it was a good price. The Reykjavik-BL-KEF transfer on 8/17 worked out to 25,650 ISK. They seem somewhat flexible regarding how long you want to stay at BL. I chose 3 hours since return flight isn't until 17:00. And they will pick up at Skarfabakki port, it appears.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kate7047 said:

Thanks!  Booked it both ways with them and think it was a good price. The Reykjavik-BL-KEF transfer on 8/17 worked out to 25,650 ISK. They seem somewhat flexible regarding how long you want to stay at BL. I chose 3 hours since return flight isn't until 17:00. And they will pick up at Skarfabakki port, it appears.

Is that a per person rate?

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

All the Icelandair flights out of KEF today are delayed this afternoon except the one to Seattle (even flights to Europe).  Anyone have an idea why?  Weather looks good.

Checked the FAA site. That shows airports in the NE are experiencing 15 minute or less delays. Looking at flightradar24, the departure delays were 13 minutes for SEA;  17 minutes each for IAD, JFK, and ORD; 19 minutes for EWR and MSP; 10 minutes BOS; and on-time is DEN. All are nonetheless showing an earlier than scheduled  arrival. 

Someone's alarm clock didn't go off?  :classic_smile:

Edited by Heartgrove

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Often when the flying conditions from Iceland to the US are so good ( due to wind speeds?), departure times are delayed so flights don’t arrive too early (no gate available?). I am no expert, but this is what I have been told. Makes sense, ‘tho I hate when my flight is delayed!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

Also, did anyone take The Heart of the Glacier tour today?  How did you like it?  What do they serve for lunch on the tour?

And where is the “expansive estate” where serve the lunch?

6 hours ago, Camden lady said:

Yes. I did.  Easier to tuck in with passport that way.  

Reykjavik Day 2: Did the included tour this morning. Our only chance to see any of Reykjavik.  Even though it was an hour and a half drive-by, it worked for us.  We saw a cross-section of the city and got a feel for the place.  No pit stop and no bathroom on the bus.  One quick photo stop at the house where they did the Reagan-Gorbechev meeting.  Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep us interested.  

Our guide Elsa had a couple of good stories to tell.  

In the afternoon, we did the Reykejanes Peninsula  tour.  Mixed emotions. Wish there had been more stops for photos and to explore the geography in lieu of the Viking World Museum.  It is hard to take things in when you whiz past them before you get a chance to figure out what you are supposed to be looking at.  However, what we saw was interesting and 15 minutes was not enough time.    

• Like 1

I have a question for someone on board now.  What kind of snacks are in the cabin mini-bar? Are there any some what healthy snacks?  I normally bring protein bars with us to take on excursions from home.  

Thank you for everyone's tips.  We are first time Viking Cruises and are really looking forward to our July 20th cruise. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cfgrandma said:

I have a question for someone on board now.  What kind of snacks are in the cabin mini-bar? Are there any some what healthy snacks?  I normally bring protein bars with us to take on excursions from home.  

Thank you for everyone's tips.  We are first time Viking Cruises and are really looking forward to our July 20th cruise. 

Small packets of Peanuts and almonds, and three kinds of small Toblerone bars, at least when we were on last week. 

50 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Reykjavik Day 2: Did the included tour this morning. Our only chance to see any of Reykjavik.  Even though it was an hour and a half drive-by, it worked for us.  We saw a cross-section of the city and got a feel for the place.  No pit stop and no bathroom on the bus.  One quick photo stop at the house where they did the Reagan-Gorbechev meeting.  Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep us interested.  

Our guide Elsa had a couple of good stories to tell.  

In the afternoon, we did the Reykejanes Peninsula  tour.  Mixed emotions. Wish there had been more stops for photos and to explore the geography in lieu of the Viking World Museum.  It is hard to take things in when you whiz past them before you get a chance to figure out what you are supposed to be looking at.  However, what we saw was interesting and 15 minutes was not enough time.    

Are you saying they only gave you 15 minutes at the museum?  That is one on the places we were looking forward to visiting.

32 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Are you saying they only gave you 15 minutes at the museum?  That is one on the places we were looking forward to visiting.

Sorry.  I zoned out.  Only 15 minutes to explore the Seltun geysers -- the only place we got out to explore.  Would have liked more time to explore but after 2 hours driving to the location, I needed a bathroom and could not wait an hour to get to the musem.  BTW, bathroom on the bus not usable because of Covid restrictions.

I don't know how much time we had at the museum but it was sufficient to see a good chunk of what was there at least superficially  and use the bathroom.  The museum itself is small but has plenty to see.  

7 hours ago, C-sea said:

Did anyone do the shore excursion "Iceland on Horseback" in Reykjavik? Was it enjoyable? Were there bothersome Black Flies? Details please!

Wife did that excursion today. 20 people from the ship. 5 excellent guides. She had a great time. Loved the Icelandic horses. Some black flies but not too bad.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sorry.  I zoned out.  Only 15 minutes to explore the Seltun geysers -- the only place we got out to explore.  Would have liked more time to explore but after 2 hours driving to the location, I needed a bathroom and could not wait an hour to get to the musem.  BTW, bathroom on the bus not usable because of Covid restrictions.

I don't know how much time we had at the museum but it was sufficient to see a good chunk of what was there at least superficially  and use the bathroom.  The museum itself is small but has plenty to see.  

Worst part of bus travel. I’ll never forget having an emergency need and no place to stop snd when I did was told to hurry (there was a line). All the passengers looking out their windows watching for my return.