LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

5 hours ago, DJVKN said:

The Chef’s Table menus for the July 3 cruise are in order: Xiang, Great Britain, California Something (I can’t remember the full name and I had never done VO before). We had the Xiang and it was very good. We are doing the California on Friday night. Hope this helps. 

Thanks for posting this.   We have had nine different Chef's Table menus on previsious Viking cruises but have never had a California one.  Would you be so kind as to post a copy of the menu when you can?  Likely, it will be the menu we will see on Saturday Evening when we eat there on our first night of the cruise.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

We went to the Voks Baths this morning. Beautiful weather. Just an FYI. Yesterday and today… The buses are not social distance and only about 50% are wearing masks on the buses although it is required. Captain has made an announcement and Jenna the CD as well to no avail. YMMV.

In which case those not wearing masks should be asked to get off the bus and forfeit the excursion. If they remove them during excursion they should not be allowed back on board.  That'll soon get everyone following the protocols.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Thanks for posting this.   We have had nine different Chef's Table menus on previsious Viking cruises but have never had a California one.  Would you be so kind as to post a copy of the menu when you can?  Likely, it will be the menu we will see on Saturday Evening when we eat there on our first night of the cruise.

Not aboard yet….but here is the California Menu we had while docked in Shanghai in October 2019.  We even had our favorite server Walter!  The meal was fine but it didn’t live up to our favorite menu, Lotus. We did find it strange there was only one Californian wine offered. One of us had the premium selections (OBC we needed to use up) and one had the included. My blog says we found most of the premium selections better to our taste “but not all”.  I think that was in reference to the Uby #4 which I really liked. YMMV

85B56E54-06BA-40D4-B2FF-5496C1C58C6D.jpeg

42EB9CB2-6686-41B9-8FC6-E4E452BFE8B7.jpeg

0AFF1C15-333F-4843-9DB5-6EA90FBDE6AD.jpeg

776A3BC3-30DC-4FCB-9378-349EF190E546.jpeg

19CFDC13-9D88-49BB-B7C5-5E990304C8F0.jpeg

432B31EA-BD2A-409B-B6A9-EFAADE67CEF4.jpeg

94039BF6-B2F1-4E52-B093-442425E1B13F.jpeg

036C8F6E-BD6A-414E-B832-967802CF1B02.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Hockeyump said:

In which case those not wearing masks should be asked to get off the bus and forfeit the excursion. If they remove them during excursion they should not be allowed back on board.  That'll soon get everyone following the protocols.

Unfortunately,  without a viking rep on the bus, I'm sure the guide and bus driver don't want to get involved enforcing masks as we've seen how that can turn into a bad situation.  The captain had just pleaded that morning and we still had a handful on our bus not wearing them. I'd hope fellow travelers who are thrilled to return to cruising would like those following us to get to enjoy their cruise but apparently not. 😥

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm not onboard, so perhaps shouldn't be answering.  But just in case it's helpful, here's info I've read about the hike to the top of Eldfell.  It's from a Rick Steves book and another source. If doing hike on your  own, allow 1-1/2 hours or more.  Hike up is 20--40 minutes, wear boots if have & be careful on way down, can be a little slippery.  Don't have to go all way up to get good views of town below or lava which covered part of the city.  You can get to path from the top of the Eldheimer Museum or there are other well-worn paths up.

I notice that the MVJ description (at least for our cruise date) says there's no need to book the included walking tour separately, as the Eldfell hike includes the walking tour.  So I guess you pay for the Eldfell hike extension and the walking tour is provided before or after.  But if anyone does this and can provide more info, plus info to verify what I've stated, that would be appreciated.  I'm still torn on what to do in Heimaey - too many interesting things there.  

Hike to top of Eldfell quit doable for those who like to hike “up”. I don’t do “up” much anymore so I didn’t make it when we were there in mid-June. We went to Heimaey on our 2nd or 3rd day in country and had gorgeous weather. Did the volcano museum, then drove to Eldfell trailhead. I still had enough jet lag that I only made it halfway up the trail. In my youth (a few years ago) I would have made it to the top! (I’ve hiked Wyna Picchu.) Views are great halfway up so no need to go all the way!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Not aboard yet….but here is the California Menu we had while docked in Shanghai in October 2019.  We even had our favorite server Walter!  The meal was fine but it didn’t live up to our favorite menu, Lotus. We did find it strange there was only one Californian wine offered. One of us had the premium selections (OBC we needed to use up) and one had the included. My blog says we found most of the premium selections better to our taste “but not all”.  I think that was in reference to the Uby #4 which I really liked. YMMV

85B56E54-06BA-40D4-B2FF-5496C1C58C6D.jpeg

42EB9CB2-6686-41B9-8FC6-E4E452BFE8B7.jpeg

0AFF1C15-333F-4843-9DB5-6EA90FBDE6AD.jpeg

776A3BC3-30DC-4FCB-9378-349EF190E546.jpeg

19CFDC13-9D88-49BB-B7C5-5E990304C8F0.jpeg

432B31EA-BD2A-409B-B6A9-EFAADE67CEF4.jpeg

94039BF6-B2F1-4E52-B093-442425E1B13F.jpeg

036C8F6E-BD6A-414E-B832-967802CF1B02.jpeg

Thanks Clay, the menu looks great! Looking forward to trying it Saturday night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Has anyone done the hike to the top of Ekjfell Mountain?  Any feedback on this - level of difficulty, etc.?

One thing to note is that it is 660' tall, so you will ascend that in less than a mile.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

One thing to note is that it is 660' tall, so you will ascend that in less than a mile.

Also there is Helgafell, which was "the volcano" before Eldfell went cray cray. It is only 240' tall, it is just south of Eldfell, and also gives you a view across the island, including a view of Eldfell itself.

On 6/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, SantaFe1 said:

We viewed this as one of our most memorable days!  Did you know that baby puffins are called pufflings?  I didn’t.  Not hatched yet.  All we saw today were eggs.  The next cruises will get to see the babies.  All the puffins are gone in August sometime, we were told.  

What no Puffins ?  We are going on 7th September?   I really wanted to see them.  This is a cruise for my husband.  Puffins were my compensation.   J

42 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

What no Puffins ?  We are going on 7th September?   I really wanted to see them.  This is a cruise for my husband.  Puffins were my compensation.   J

Birds all over the world nest during their summer months.  Migrating birds must be fully fledged and strong enough to either migrate or survive their winter season.

7 hours ago, DJVKN said:

The Chef’s Table menus for the July 3 cruise are in order: Xiang, Great Britain, California Something (I can’t remember the full name and I had never done VO before). We had the Xiang and it was very good. We are doing the California on Friday night. Hope this helps. 

When I checked the CT menu when we boarded on Saturday, I saw three completely different menus listed (one of which was the Sandanavian menu) and based on that did not book at all.  After reading what Diana posted, I went back and looked again. Now I am bummed.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

Pure sunshine, blue skies and expect 63 today. Hope that tracks better! Another beautiful port to enjoy.

20210707_074949.jpg

It was gorgeous for the first couple of hours of the day but the the fog rolled in and along with it a chilly breeze.  On the Skalanes tour it was cold and I wore my wool sweater and down vest.  DH regrets not having grabbed his jacket.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJVKN said:

We went to the Voks Baths this morning. Beautiful weather. Just an FYI. Yesterday and today… The buses are not social distance and only about 50% are wearing masks on the buses although it is required. Captain has made an announcement and Jenna the CD as well to no avail. YMMV.

The mask issue is very disappointing.  Rules are rules and everyone must follow them.  A Captain's order is not for debate or discussion.  Ship sponsored excursions follow ship's rules.  No freedom or opinion allowed.  You do what the Captain tells you to do.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

When I checked the CT menu when we boarded on Saturday, I saw three completely different menus listed (one of which was the Sandanavian menu) and based on that did not book at all.  After reading what Diana posted, I went back and looked again. Now I am bummed.  

Our try to get into all of the CT menus as it really stretches our taste experiences. If we don't like it or just take a few bites, we still have an experience and the World Cafe is always a back up 😉

1 hour ago, Hockeyump said:

I wish...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Australia08 said:

Is there no Viking rep on board the bus?  We’ve always had somebody from Viking on each bus tour we’ve taken. They just kind of ride along, but in this case, they could remind about the rules. 

There is no Viking  Rep on the buses. Only the local guide and driver.  

6 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

There is no Viking  Rep on the buses. Only the local guide and driver.  

I thought I read that all crew members on Viking ships have to stay on board , no shore leave . So they cannot be exploring or on excursions. It is the new world of sailing during COVID  for now .

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 9:20 PM, DAVE & PAT said:

Has anyone flown Icelandair day flight from Boston arriving 8:50pm. We have this flight and wondering about transfer to hotel downtown. Seems like public transport stops before this time. Any suggestions

We took that flight on 7/1.  Loved arriving at night rather than AM.  We arranged private transfer because we wanted to get to hotel in time to sleep.  (On a previous trip it took a transfer and quite a while to get there using the shared shuttle.)  BTW, the airport was empty when we arrived!

Only problem was arriving at hotel at 10pm, no restaurants were serving so dinner was some granola bars I brought and a bag of nuts from the plane.  

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

I thought I read that all crew members on Viking ships have to stay on board , no shore leave . So they cannot be exploring or on excursions. It is the new world of sailing during COVID  for now .

And judging from the number of busloads listed on the Viking Daily each day (with social distancing, limited third party excursions in Iceland, etc.), I doubt it's possible to send a Viking rep on each bus!  

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

The mask issue is very disappointing.  Rules are rules and everyone must follow them.  A Captain's order is not for debate or discussion.  Ship sponsored excursions follow ship's rules.  No freedom or opinion allowed.  You do what the Captain tells you to do.

I wear them on the ship as required even though I am bad at remembering.  I wear them on the bus without complaint. But I will take them off as soon as I am outside and away from others, so that I can see what I have come to see.  

I do wish that the guides would remind folks of the mask rule or even better that the Viking shorex would step onto the bus and do it.  

• Like 6

We made our own flight arrangements for a late flight (5pm) on Saturday and reserved a private transfer to airport to pick us up at 9:30am.  This was done AFTER contacting Viking and being told we only needed to leave the ship between 9 and 10am. 

Now on board, we were advised we have to leave ship by 8am.  We have escalated to Guest Services Management and are awaiting a reply.  Will advise when they respond.

(Our transfer includes a stop that doesn't open until 10am so we don't want to leave earlier and stand around outside for an extra hour.)

3 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

Unfortunately,  without a viking rep on the bus, I'm sure the guide and bus driver don't want to get involved enforcing masks as we've seen how that can turn into a bad situation.  The captain had just pleaded that morning and we still had a handful on our bus not wearing them. I'd hope fellow travelers who are thrilled to return to cruising would like those following us to get to enjoy their cruise but apparently not. 😥

Is it worth it to stop at Guest Services and explain what is happening, and request that the ShoreEx people come onto each bus and remind everyone that masks as required, not optional?

41 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Is it worth it to stop at Guest Services and explain what is happening, and request that the ShoreEx people come onto each bus and remind everyone that masks as required, not optional?

If they cannot be on each bus, a Viking rep or 3 should remind each and every passenger leaving the ship to continue wearing their mask on the bus and to have a good time. I assume everyone is wearing a mask when they disembark.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azjoy said:

We made our own flight arrangements for a late flight (5pm) on Saturday and reserved a private transfer to airport to pick us up at 9:30am.  This was done AFTER contacting Viking and being told we only needed to leave the ship between 9 and 10am. 

Now on board, we were advised we have to leave ship by 8am.  We have escalated to Guest Services Management and are awaiting a reply.  Will advise when they respond.

(Our transfer includes a stop that doesn't open until 10am so we don't want to leave earlier and stand around outside for an extra hour.)

Sounds like the usual disconnect between landside office operations and actual ship policy.