LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

51 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'm fine with the laid back cabaret-style and I like the Abba show, but the cast currently on the Sky is not one of the better casts I have seen/heard on board.

We thought the specialty entertainers were very good. Paoblo with his guitar and singing was outstanding.  The cast for the Abba, etc. were ok but their voices did not blend well in terms of strength.  We found the individual venues and performers to be more enjoyable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Howard absolutely loves World Cafe.  I love it for the views and the chance to eat outside, but the food's pretty good too.  Do they have the area outside open or is it too chilly in the evenings?

The outside tables were not set for dinner. It was cool and breezy as we were at sea. However, I am sure if you are brave enough to sit outside they will look after you. 

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

SO happy to hear more slots opened up on Vigur.  I desperately want to go but booked too late to get in.  And I heard one week's cruise had no new open slots, so nothing's guaranteed.  I'll hope for the best.  I'd be interested to hear if there were actually 30 people on the boat or more like 20.

Hi Ruth, 

Hi Ruth, firstly we hope you have a safe and stress free journey to Iceland as I know you are on Jupiter tomorrow. 

I hope you get on the Vigur Island trip as I recall from a previous picture you posted of your slippers you are big puffin fan. 

Looking forward to hearing your version of Live reporting over the coming days. 

Neil

17 minutes ago, mcjyl said:

What happen if you don't have a bar code?  Can you get one at KEF?  Thanks

Jim

It looks as if you can. There are signs in the baggage hall that says that you need the barcode to proceed. To the border checks. They say if you have not got a barcode visit Covid.is website, register and then show bar code from your phone. 

It is not clear what happens if you can’t do it on line. 

6 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

SO happy to hear more slots opened up on Vigur.  I desperately want to go but booked too late to get in.  And I heard one week's cruise had no new open slots, so nothing's guaranteed.  I'll hope for the best.  I'd be interested to hear if there were actually 30 people on the boat or more like 20.  

Howard absolutely loves World Cafe.  I love it for the views and the chance to eat outside, but the food's pretty good too.  Do they have the area outside open or is it too chilly in the evenings?

TTFN (I had to look that up!)

Ruth

That have fleece blankets out there. We usually had breakfast or lunch outside

20 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Sky (or more accurately 2/3 around the Golden Circle)

Coach was about 2/3 full. 100% compliance with mask wearing on the coach. 

Off the bus, some carried on wearing masks. However we chose to take ours off unless we were close to others. The new quiet vox had good range and you could easily dawdle at the back and hear the guide. 

Lunch tables were organised by Viking and we shared a table for 4 with somebody sitting nearby on the coach. 

Will post overall perspective on tour when we get back to Viking Sky. 

So glad to hear the "dawdling" bit!!   I will be needing to dawdle and I don't want to hold others up. J

4 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Hi Ruth, 

Hi Ruth, firstly we hope you have a safe and stress free journey to Iceland as I know you are on Jupiter tomorrow. 

I hope you get on the Vigur Island trip as I recall from a previous picture you posted of your slippers you are big puffin fan. 

Looking forward to hearing your version of Live reporting over the coming days. 

Neil

Yep, have a puffin throw pillow too.  Saw puffins fairly close up on an island between Canada and U.S.(Maine) maybe 10 years ago and fell in love. Then saw them briefly/unexpectedly in Shetland Islands.  Anyway, I was up before 6 today to get ready for our adventure.  I turned on webcam for Isafjordur and snapped some screenshots of the 10:00 Vigur tour passengers walking to boat.  Exciting.  In 5 minutes boat was loaded & heading in direction of Sky and onward to a (hopefully) great adventure.  Then I checked on Jupiter; she's in Heimaey.  Webcam is more distant but I saw a tender at the pier. My stressful thing today is getting Covid pcr test results -- hopefully negative, since we've been cautious, plus numbers here are still low here & vax rate high. Then comes barcode, finish packing, etc. and off we go tonight.

Thanks for the great reports. 

Screenshot 2021-08-02 060405.jpg

2nd wave.jpg

59 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

So glad to hear the "dawdling" bit!!   I will be needing to dawdle and I don't want to hold others up. J

Dawdling is allowed, especially when Quiet Voxes are used!  I occasionally dawdle to take pictures...but if that voice in my ear starts to get crackly/low, I try to step it up a bit! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Dawdling is allowed, especially when Quiet Voxes are used!  I occasionally dawdle to take pictures...but if that voice in my ear starts to get crackly/low, I try to step it up a bit! 

I will do that too!   J

17 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Seydisfjordur is totally doable yourself but then you miss the guides input.  We walked the town in the evening after our morning and afternoon optional excursions (Vok and Skalanes) but we had daylight until midnight.  Missed the Heimaey port.

How were the vok baths and skanes tours

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BarbRN said:

I need to know

I saw an area on the Delta site yesterday that will answer your question.  I didn't read the entire article as we don't fly/sail until the end of August.  Check it out and learn for yourself.  I have read so much I don't want to give the wrong answer.  I signed into Delta to check my booking and while I was there I noticed this information.

Edited by Snit13
error

31 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I saw an area on the Delta site yesterday that will answer your question.  I didn't read the entire article as we don't fly/sail until the end of August.  Check it out and learn for yourself.  I have read so much I don't want to give the wrong answer.  I signed into Delta to check my booking and while I was there I noticed this information.

Yes but never says a time frame. 

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Yep, have a puffin throw pillow too.  Saw puffins fairly close up on an island between Canada and U.S.(Maine) maybe 10 years ago and fell in love. Then saw them briefly/unexpectedly in Shetland Islands.  Anyway, I was up before 6 today to get ready for our adventure.  I turned on webcam for Isafjordur and snapped some screenshots of the 10:00 Vigur tour passengers walking to boat.  Exciting.  In 5 minutes boat was loaded & heading in direction of Sky and onward to a (hopefully) great adventure.  Then I checked on Jupiter; she's in Heimaey.  Webcam is more distant but I saw a tender at the pier. My stressful thing today is getting Covid pcr test results -- hopefully negative, since we've been cautious, plus numbers here are still low here & vax rate high. Then comes barcode, finish packing, etc. and off we go tonight.

Thanks for the great reports. 

Screenshot 2021-08-02 060405.jpg

2nd wave.jpg

Yes that creates stress getting results or the whole trip is voided. 

Live from Viking Sky or more accurately the boat back from Vigur Island aka Puffin City. 

A 30 minute boat ride, and 2 hours on the Island hosted by the delightful felicity. 

We were keen to see Puffins so after the welcome briefing we did hang around to visit the Eider down factory (more of a tin but really) and set off to explore on our own. We keep to mown grass track that we had read about previously here on CC and despite a few dive bombing terns we had a great time. We saw more puffins than the main group before the stop for coffee and cake but afterwards the puffins put on a real show very close by to the little windmill behind the cafe. They had even been fishing and stood perfectly still for us. 

Back for lunch and then a decision about the included tour. Should I stay or should I go? 

TTFN

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I know what the current rules are, but can those of you who have recently been in KEF and walking around Reykjavik comment the percent of folks who are actually masking and distancing?

July 4th saw no masks. Easy to social distance which in my view is far more effective.

Edited by philw1776

4 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I know what the current rules are, but can those of you who have recently been in KEF and walking around Reykjavik comment the percent of folks who are actually masking and distancing?

Two days ago (Saturday) passengers were about 100% masked when we were departing Iceland. Social distancing not so much due to crowds. We drove in from Holt and bypassed Reykjavik on the way to KEF.

43 minutes ago, susanlik said:

How were the vok baths and skanes tours

The drive to the Vok baths up and over a mountain pass was spectacular.  Throughout the cruise until this point you are always looking up to see the snow covered mountains.  On this drive you are there.  Architecturally the baths building fits visually into its surroundings and is lovely.  The locker rooms are clean.  You use your wristband to lock and open your locker.  The showers are individual, private and required to use before bathing.  Towels are provided and you can take 2 if you wish.  The 3 pools float on the lake each becoming hotter the further you go out.  The first pool has a swim up bar.  Unless you can navigate the stepping stones over the pool, you must enter the first pool in order to reach the next 2.  The lake is 50 ish degrees F and there are ladders to get out.  The spa was reserved for Viking and 2 buses were there with staggered arrival times.  You can try this amazing herbal tea after you are done.  Its included.  Some people brought robes but you really didn't need them.  The ramp into the first pool was very slippery.  It was a very nice relaxing experience.  We did it in the morning as there was no afternoon one when we booked.  I think the surrounding scenery is probably more spectacular at the Husavik Geobaths but we didnt want to miss the Northern Treasures excursion.

Skalanes Nature Center was amazing.  The guide was a hoot!  She had all kinds of tales and stories to tell.  The centers owner is her cousin and i believe she does all the tours.  You drive there in a high 4 wheel drive all terrain type bus.  The road is gravel or there is no road...you ford 3 streams.  Such fun and excitement!  The center houses research projects and people at times who study birds and the environment.  We were greeted by scores of Arctic Terns some with young chirping for food.  There is about a 3/4 mile walk through the property on a gravel path and then up a series of wooden stairs and platforms to a viewing station at the cliffs edge.  Stunning.  We were on the July 17 cruise.  The lupine was still in bloom but past its peak when we were there.  Besides the terns, we saw Kittiwakes, Eider ducks and puffins.  There were other birds that birders better then could spot but i just never got a positive ID and can only guess.  Along the road on the way in we stopped at an archeological site also.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'm fine with the laid back cabaret-style and I like the Abba show, but the cast currently on the Sky is not one of the better casts I have seen/heard on board.

Paolo, the resident guitarist was the best on the Sky!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Paolo, the resident guitarist was the best on the Sky!

I don’t normally like the guitarists much but Paolo changed my mind!  I think he may be the best all around entertainer I’ve seen onboard a Viking ship. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

The drive to the Vok baths up and over a mountain pass was spectacular.  Throughout the cruise until this point you are always looking up to see the snow covered mountains.  On this drive you are there.  Architecturally the baths building fits visually into its surroundings and is lovely.  The locker rooms are clean.  You use your wristband to lock and open your locker.  The showers are individual, private and required to use before bathing.  Towels are provided and you can take 2 if you wish.  The 3 pools float on the lake each becoming hotter the further you go out.  The first pool has a swim up bar.  Unless you can navigate the stepping stones over the pool, you must enter the first pool in order to reach the next 2.  The lake is 50 ish degrees F and there are ladders to get out.  The spa was reserved for Viking and 2 buses were there with staggered arrival times.  You can try this amazing herbal tea after you are done.  Its included.  Some people brought robes but you really didn't need them.  The ramp into the first pool was very slippery.  It was a very nice relaxing experience.  We did it in the morning as there was no afternoon one when we booked.  I think the surrounding scenery is probably more spectacular at the Husavik Geobaths but we didnt want to miss the Northern Treasures excursion.

Skalanes Nature Center was amazing.  The guide was a hoot!  She had all kinds of tales and stories to tell.  The centers owner is her cousin and i believe she odoes all the tours.  You drive there in a high 4 wheel drive all terrain type bus.  The road is gravel or there is no road...you ford 3 streams.  Such fun and excitement!  The center houses research projects and people at times who study birds and the environment.  We were greeted by scores of Arctic Terns some with young chirping for food.  There is about a 3/4 mile walk through the property on a gravel path and then up a series of wooden stairs and platforms to a viewing station at the cliffs edge.  Stunning.  We were on the July 17 cruise.  The lupine was still in bloom but past its peak when we were there.  Besides the terns, we saw Kittiwakes, Eider ducks and puffins.  There were other birds that birders better then could spot but i just never got a positive ID and can only guess.  Along the road on the way in we stopped at an archeological site also.

Did you wear a bathing suit coverup or just go straight from locker room into baths?