LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

57 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

Totally by the  book. No consideration that the situation has changed in that country and that their scary quarantine practices have changed.  Don’t care we are celebrating a big anniversary s d have trepidation instead of joy being forced to go or lose it all.  

At least they are consistent

21 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

There is an update on the FB Viking group this today.  He said there are about 26 people disembarking the ship and on the bus to Reykjavik.  

What’s the exact name of the FB group. There are several. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

Thank you for posting the picture and (first hand) updates.  Please let us know if you find out anything further...like what happened with the owners of those suitcases.  That's A LOT of suitcases...😳

Could be crew suitcases, not just passenger suitcases.   Crew members usually have 6 month contracts, and while most of the ships weren't actually sailing the past six months, Viking did have skeletal staff on board throughout the whole time. And often the cruise lines move crew members around to other ships as needed.  But who knows?

In any case, thanks for the updates.  We were on Jupiter last week with 715 passengers.  As far I know, we had no positive cases.  I'm going in tomorrow here at home to get tested, just to be on the safe side.  I want to take my brother out to lunch.  He's in assisted living, so I can't take chances by possibly infecting him or others if I got infected during my flights home or wherever.) 

Even if 70 negative-testing people were quarantined on your ship, or chose and were allowed to go home, that's still a fairly small percentage of passengers on Jupiter, so the risk of vacation interruption doesn't seem so high to me.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  We found ours absolutely amazing.  I'm sitting here working on my photos.  I didn't hold back, and did 3 all day excursions, plus in Heimaey I did two excursions in one day.

10 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Even if 70 negative-testing people were quarantined on your ship, or chose and were allowed to go home, that's still a fairly small percentage of passengers on Jupiter, so the risk of vacation interruption doesn't seem so high to me.

Do you think it may be easier for you to say that since you are home safe and healthy and had a (allegedly) Covid-free cruise?  I'm not saying this sarcastically or trying to be mean spirited.   I'm truly curious if you think you'd feel the same way if your cruise hadn't happened yet.

Edited by Triptkr
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Could be crew suitcases, not just passenger suitcases.   Crew members usually have 6 month contracts, and while most of the ships weren't actually sailing the past six months, Viking did have skeletal staff on board throughout the whole time. And often the cruise lines move crew members around to other ships as needed.  But who knows?

In any case, thanks for the updates.  We were on Jupiter last week with 715 passengers.  As far I know, we had no positive cases.  I'm going in tomorrow here at home to get tested, just to be on the safe side.  I want to take my brother out to lunch.  He's in assisted living, so I can't take chances by possibly infecting him or others if I got infected during my flights home or wherever.) 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  We found ours absolutely amazing.  I'm sitting here working on my photos.  I didn't hold back, and did 3 all day excursions, plus in Heimaey I did two excursions in one day.

70 over 715 is almost 10%.  Not sure if I agree risk of interruption is low.  Of course, everyone has to do their own risk/reward analysis.  We have different risk tolerance level.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gigilovestotravel said:

Thank you for all of this info. It is too late for me to cancel the cruise without losing all my money. Instead I canceled the all-day Circle Tour (which I really wanted). Then I'll watch each day and decide before the 24-hour limit whether to cancel the next day excursion. I have walking tours, Vigur Island, and Heimay (sp) by Boat. My husband prefers the World Cafe so we've never eaten in the Restaurant yet.

Much of the Circle tour is outside, not on the bus.  On Vigur you can sit outside in the back if you're early enough in line for that or nobody else wants to sit there.  I loved it back there, though I had to get up and stand at the door to hear the local guide - but not the guide on the island, who is different.  Vigur is mostly outside and when not, is quick visits inside to eat a yummy snack or see eider down process equipment/info.  Our Heimaey boat excursion was a little crowded with people sitting outside, which is where most people sit.  But if you're uncomfortable, you CAN move around, or sit inside.  But being outside is good, so I was fine with it and enjoyed the scenery and opportunity to take pictures.  But of course, if you're on a bus and someone tests positive, it looks like Iceland considers that reason to quarantine everyone, so the risk is still there.

I think you can actually cancel Reykjavik excursions on the day you embark, maybe up to 6 PM.  But check your Viking Daily when you get on the ship or call or visit Explorers Desk to make sure.  I did, however, find that Viking was kind of lenient on canceling a little late, although I only tried it once. 

I just posted feedback on the excursions I took in another thread.  I personally think you should do the Circle Tour, but even if you don't, you can see some similar things by taken a few excursions in other ports -- and the scenery EVERYWHERE is fabulous....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

Do you think it may be easier for you to say that since you are home safe and healthy and had a (allegedly) Covid-free cruise?  I'm not saying this sarcastically or trying to be mean spirited.   I'm truly curious if you think you'd feel the same way if your cruise hadn't happened yet.

I don't know how I'd feel if I hadn't cruised yet.  I also don't know what will happen in the future, as the situation is still quite fluid.  All I know is that I'm extremely thankful we had a mostly trouble free cruise and flight experience.  I went on the cruise knowing there was some risk, and I guess my tolerance for risk is higher than some people's.  But cruising itself already carries a good amount of uncertainty (like whether sea conditions will cause the ship to miss a port).  I've learned to manage expectations.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

There is an update on the FB Viking group this today.  He said there are about 26 people disembarking the ship and on the bus to Reykjavik.  

Here is the update, cut and pasted from the Viking group thread:

Friday the 13th (unbelievably): we, along with ~26 others, are on a 6 hour bus ride from Akureyri to Reykjavik. Viking has arranged a hotel, meals, airport transfers and flights for us. We have been cleared by the authorities to depart the country tomorrow. Nasal swab PCR tests were done before we disembarked this morning so I’m guessing that, until those results are in, we’re not truly in the clear.
We’re not exactly able to distance on the bus - first 3 rows are blocked to protect the driver (as they should be) - but it’s not as if we’ll be able to distance on our flights tomorrow either.
According to the cruise director, we are the first and thus far only group to be disembarked. We could have opted to stay on board and quarantine in the cabin, but we were stir crazy after 1 day. 4 more would have been tough
Cheers!
PS - the driver is delightful
PPS and edit - I don’t know what happened to the person who tested positive on Wednesday’s tour. That person is not on this bus with us.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

The current approach is untenable. Why risk spending 10, 15 or $20,000 and having a cruise end prematurely? You can gladly follow all of the requirements and still be kicked off! It basically makes eating anywhere onboard near people, going to the Theater, or traveling on any Viking bus tour with a N95 mask a risk for quarantine and your cruise ending.

This protocol needs to be rethought especially with vaccines being required and daily PCR testing, both of which I strongly support. I don't mind any inconvenience. I am a rules follower. But gladly following all of the rules and still having a chance to be quarantined off the ship doesn't make sense. If this is Iceland calling the shots, Viking should find other countries to bring people.

What you say is spot on!  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

We have been cleared by the authorities to depart the country tomorrow. Nasal swab PCR tests were done before we disembarked this morning so I’m guessing that, until those results are in, we’re not truly in the clear.

So….when they go to the airport and the airline asks them if they have been exposed to anyone who tested positive for Covid in the last 14 days, how do they answer that? If they answer according to the facts reported here I can’t imagine the airline will let them board. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BarbRN said:

Totally by the  book. No consideration that the situation has changed in that country and that their scary quarantine practices have changed.  Don’t care we are celebrating a big anniversary s d have trepidation instead of joy being forced to go or lose it all.  

Are you on the 8/17 cruise?  We and another couple are. I like someone’s idea of sitting on balcony with silver spirits if nothing else. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Msgolferfhcc said:

Are you on the 8/17 cruise?  We and another couple are. I like someone’s idea of sitting on balcony with silver spirits if nothing else. 

We are scheduled for the 8/17 cruise, along with 2 other couples.  I'm also thinking as long as that's the worst case scenario, while it would be very disappointing, I'll be ready to do that...just watch the beautiful scenery.  But, hoping the 8/17 cruise will be without incident!

• Like 2

The "Live" webcam for Heimaey looks like decent weather, and the wind is at 7 kn. The Viking Sky did pause there but sea conditions must not be good enough for tendering. The sea conditions at it's current location show winds at 12 kn and seas at Beaufort Scale 4.

1 hour ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

So….when they go to the airport and the airline asks them if they have been exposed to anyone who tested positive for Covid in the last 14 days, how do they answer that? If they answer according to the facts reported here I can’t imagine the airline will let them board. 

I can’t imagine Viking would put them on a bus to the airport unless they had cleared this with Iceland authorities ahead of time.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for people who are not a member of this forum or the Viking facebook groups. They will be unaware that if a passenger on their excursion bus who later tests positive can completely ruin their entire cruise.

Surely it is up to Viking to address this possible scenario with future cruisers BEFORE the 2 week cancellation deadline. It is then up to the passengers to decide whether to take this risk or not. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

The "Live" webcam for Heimaey looks like decent weather, and the wind is at 7 kn. The Viking Sky did pause there but sea conditions must not be good enough for tendering. The sea conditions at it's current location show winds at 12 kn and seas at Beaufort Scale 4.

We tendered last week on Jupiter.  When returning to the ship in the afternoon, each person had to wait for the tender boat to be level with the area on Jupiter where you step onto the ship. Deck crew helped us decide when to step off.  It's easy if you've done it before, but not everyone has.