LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Hi everyone - back for brief update and then I’m bowing out again.
Just wanted to clarify that I deleted my posts and left the group voluntarily. I was not removed by the admin or anyone else.
As you can imagine, we’re mentally (and physically) exhausted from the entire ordeal. I’m not complaining, as this type of travel is an enormous privilege, but it became overwhelming keeping up with questions and comments (partly because I was obsessively checking every time I got a notification!) and frankly, we’re gutted it ended this way and this quickly. Sitting in our hotel last night it all came crashing down and we just need some distance from it all. We board our flight in about 2 hours so until we clear customs at JFK, it ain’t over yet!
I shared our experience because this forum has truly kept us informed and it seems to be the best place where we can learn of and from the experiences of others. Thank you to everyone for your support and positive comments - they truly helped.
Safe and pleasant travels to everyone.
For us - it’s peace out ✌️(until we book the next trip 😉)

The update on facebook from the passenger
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The poster Richard Albrecht posted this morning. This is his post:

"Hi everyone - back for brief update and then I’m bowing out again.
Just wanted to clarify that I deleted my posts and left the group voluntarily. I was not removed by the admin or anyone else.
As you can imagine, we’re mentally (and physically) exhausted from the entire ordeal. I’m not complaining, as this type of travel is an enormous privilege, but it became overwhelming keeping up with questions and comments (partly because I was obsessively checking every time I got a notification!) and frankly, we’re gutted it ended this way and this quickly. Sitting in our hotel last night it all came crashing down and we just need some distance from it all. We board our flight in about 2 hours so until we clear customs at JFK, it ain’t over yet!
I shared our experience because this forum has truly kept us informed and it seems to be the best place where we can learn of and from the experiences of others. Thank you to everyone for your support and positive comments - they truly helped.
Safe and pleasant travels to everyone.
For us - it’s peace out ✌️(until we book the next trip 😉)"
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, BQEC said:

Quarantined to the cabin for the entire time. 26 people decided to fly home rather than do that. 
Since it is only a bus policy, better to book with outside vendor rather than tour with Viking. 
Oh wait. We were told that Viking expected that we would not be allowed off ship unless we were in the Viking bubble!! Including the Viking bus. 

And quarantined on the ship, according to someone we know who was, means no leaving the room and no service inside the room.  Everything is delivered to the door and you would have to clean your own room.  Not that I don't do that at home, but on a cruise is different...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

And quarantined on the ship, according to someone we know who was, means no leaving the room and no service inside the room.  Everything is delivered to the door and you would have to clean your own room.  Not that I don't do that at home, but on a cruise is different...

Thank you for your clarification of Viking cabin quarantine protocol. 

2 hours ago, schnapperin said:

No change since at least spring (I travelled in May and knew about the risk in case I tested positive) 

but there might have been an agreement for cruise ships in case of a positive case but I just can‘t see it be that much different to Iceland’s strict approach  

Just a clarification here; Iceland’s policy changed last week to deem everyone on a bus tour a “close contact “. Previously, it is my understanding that only the people in close proximity to the positive person (as determined by the contact tracing token we all wear) was deemed a close contact AND they were allowed  to test out of cabin quarantine before the end of the voyage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Won't happen.  Read the Passenger Ticket Contract and the Covid19 Policies & Procedures.  Its a risk we take.

You're right; I will read it again. But there seems to have been a real effort to not disclose facts so people won't cancel. I think that's the most upsetting part. Other things are beyond Viking's control. Of course, all the cruise lines probably do that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAVE & PAT said:

One of our considerations in canceling our 8/31 cruise  prior to 14 days, and receiving a future vochure, is that Viking has no future Iceland cruises planned and because we booked independent air we will receive a future vochure with icelandair. So to cancel this one cruise we would need to replace it with 2 trips. One new Viking Cruise to an undecided location at a higher cost and new airfares plus one trip back to Iceland, to use our air vochure, most likely an independent self drive trip. Finances should not be a leading reason not to cancel but this scenario stinks.

I don’t know what kind of a deal you got on your Icelandair flight, but of course you can use your voucher as part of a leg to Europe. We have flown Icelandair out of Seattle to Europe a few times (best to do it in Saga Class though). When you’re up for it in the future, you can do a week layover in Iceland without penalty and continue on to a trip in Europe (either overland or cruise, for instance). Good luck with your future travels. Sorry you had to do this.

Edited by LindaS272
Typos.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gigilovestotravel said:

Where did you post your feedback on excursions, please? Time for me to do some more research!

Someone started a separate post here on Cruise Critic, this section.  Other feedback on excursions can be found within other threads in the Viking Ocean board, but it may take a lot of reading/searching to weed them out.  I can also provide (later, if requested) info on which vendor provided which tour, so you can look at their websites if interested.  

Also, I may have my photos up in a few days, with some narrative, which might show you a little of what we did, including in some cases what's involved (walking to zodiac boat, or the boat used for Vigur, etc.)   I'll probably post a link here to my photos on this thread.  In the mean time, here's a link to the thread that contains comments from myself and others on Iceland excursions.  It would be great if others would contribute, as not all excursions are covered, and because obviously opinions can differ. And there are many groups (busloads, or walking groups or boat groups) established for most excursions, which means multiple guides.  I might have gotten great guides but another person not so much. But it's a start.  Here's the link: 

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

The Golden Circle bus tour is a FULL day excursion, so if an infected person was on it - in an enclosed non open-air bus - it's possible for the person to infect some, if not all, if not none, others via the air in the enclosed bus.

We do not have a full account on what happened on the bus - did the infected person truly keep the mask on the entire time? Did the others? We know for fact the a couple sitting in the back of bus kept theirs on the entire time, but what about the others?

Another thing to consider - travelling to the ship after the negative pre-travel test ... airports and domestic planes have unvaccinated people, and the D variant is now a new s**t that is hitting the fan, and it's everywhere now. Worse than the original covid virus.

Here in Bermuda we are seeing a sharp increase in new cases and MOST of them are D variant. Some of them were imported by air - failed the arrival test even after the negative pre-travel test taken no more than 4 days before travel to Bermuda. And there were some that failed the Day 4 test after the negative arrival test. The incubation period is 4-14 days.

Here in Bermuda everyone masks up indoors, on buses, in taxis, etc, and dares not take it off. But it's not in the case in the USA or UK, so that's why we are still reluctant to fly off the island. Our son made two trips so far in June/July - one to NYC and other to UK - he and his travelmates successfully wore masks the enter time, ate outdoors, did social distancing, etc. Bet they looked like sore thumbs amongst the maskless people (when in the UK bang when they removed the mask mandate).

We hate this graph 😶. The population is 63K.

image.png.02547ef36f1c6d46024c996f5a4649d7.png

Well good for Bermuda.  I am in PR, a US Territory and we march to our own drummer.  Mask law indoors for 17 months.  Mask rule outdoors even at beaches for 15 months - recently lifted.  BIG trouble with tourists last winter thinking they have US rights and freedoms to not mask.  Soon moving to vaccinations required for all health care, government, teachers, hotel employees OR presentation of negative test at beginning of each week at your own expense.  Patrons at hotels and any accomodations, restaurants and bars much present vaccination proof or negative test.  

• Like 3

You guys are driving me crazy not identifying the person on Facebook who apparently has a zillion followers and totally exists to glorify Viking.  Can you give me a clue, or at least if he is a moderator of one of the many Viking Facebook groups, or what? 

But back to more important stuff:  Thanks big time to the person who clarified Iceland's policy on quarantine.  I was scratching my head trying to figure out their logic versus what they say about quarantine on their Covid site.  And it seemed like their policy was evolving -- but of course Delta is evolving, too, so things are (understandably) still fluid.

57 minutes ago, Rappersmom said:

You're right; I will read it again. But there seems to have been a real effort to not disclose facts so people won't cancel. I think that's the most upsetting part. Other things are beyond Viking's control. Of course, all the cruise lines probably do that.

Agree 

• Like 2

Just now, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

You guys are driving me crazy not identifying the person on Facebook who apparently has a zillion followers and totally exists to glorify Viking.  Can you give me a clue, or at least if he is a moderator of one of the many Viking Facebook groups, or what? 

But back to more important stuff:  Thanks big time to the person who clarified Iceland's policy on quarantine.  I was scratching my head trying to figure out their logic versus what they say about quarantine on their Covid site.  And it seemed like their policy was evolving -- but of course Delta is evolving, too, so things are (understandably) still fluid.

His name is Steve Rhodes and the group is “Viking River and Ocean Cruises Friends”. I am getting ready to remove Mike from the group as it really has become even more a cheer leader than some of us on here for Viking as well as a personal photo album for the moderator.  LOL.  (Says the fellow that may post too many pictures on here and for sure does on Instagram!😂)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Well good for Bermuda.  I am in PR, a US Territory and we march to our own drummer.  Mask law indoors for 17 months.  Mask rule outdoors even at beaches for 15 months - recently lifted.  BIG trouble with tourists last winter thinking they have US rights and freedoms to not mask.  Soon moving to vaccinations required for all health care, government, teachers, hotel employees OR presentation of negative test at beginning of each week at your own expense.  Patrons at hotels and any accomodations, restaurants and bars much present vaccination proof or negative test.  

Well, it never ceases to amaze me what some people expect.  I was reading the travel section this morning in the paper and someone was asking if he (she?) could cancel a cruise  last minute with no penalty.  He just found out he may be expected to wear a mask on the cruise or when he went indoors somewhere on an excursion. Can you imagine?  Sheesh....

Rant over.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

His name is Steve Rhodes and the group is “Viking River and Ocean Cruises Friends”. I am getting ready to remove Mike from the group as it really has become even more a cheer leader than some of us on here for Viking as well as a personal photo album for the moderator.  LOL.  (Says the fellow that may post too many pictures on here and for sure does on Instagram!😂)

Who is Mike? What group? So confused but nothing new for me. I knew who Steve is but not Mike.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

In Seydisfjordur there is an excursion that walks from the pier.  In Djupivogur there are walking excursions but you need to take a tender to get to shore.

And in Heimaey you can take the boat tour that circles the island.  You tender, then walk over to the next pier.  There's also a walking tour in Heimaey, and you can then walk up the mountain with the group  -- if you're hardy, that is!   In Isafjordur you walk a minute or two from the ship to board a boat for Vigur Island.  And possibly the excursions that go whale watching in 2 places may not have a bus ride, and the one to see belugas in Heimaey probably doesn't, as the belugas are very close to the pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

He’s also a self-proclaimed “Social Influencer”, whatever that is.

I think it means he influences people who can’t think for themselves…

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TERRIER1 said:

Who is Mike? What group? So confused but nothing new for me. I knew who Steve is but not Mike.

Honestly, I've enjoyed Steve's photos and info, so I've found his posts from Iceland helpful.  And who knows, I'm pretty positive about Viking, and even more so after experiencing what they did in Iceland.  I imagine some people would consider me a cheerleader!  But Mike.  Don't know who Mike is.

• Like 3

Just now, CILCIANRQTS said:

He’s also a self-proclaimed “Social Influencer”, whatever that is.

I think it means he influences people who can’t think for themselves…

I think SOME "social influencers" get paid for what they do -- which I think is basically getting more people to visit a particular site, or post, or like, or whatever. 

• Like 2