LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

30 minutes ago, Tanumveien said:

If only 7% of Americans were unvaccinated! It will probably never happen.

that’s too sane…

I cancelled yesterday, and will get back most of what I paid with the travel insurance on a future cruise voucher. Time to plan yet another trip…

When were you going 

It would have been my second trip to Iceland, but I’ll just have to plan another trip back - it’s a beautiful country, albeit rugged and almost like a moonscape. This just wasn’t workable, in my mind. There was too much doubt and uncertainty.

I have Norway coming up in mid-April….hopefully, that trip will take place. 

9 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I believe the crew on the Sky (July 17) said they were.

From Viking website today. 

Our aim is to have all Viking crew vaccinated. We are doing everything we can to accelerate this process and meet that goal, and currently, the vast majority of our crew has already been vaccinated. Furthermore, our robust protocol includes frequent PCR testing of all guests and crew, making Viking even safer for all on board.

15 minutes ago, Rappersmom said:

From what I've read, the Janssen vaccine in Iceland is only 40% effective. The Mayo Clinic study here (still in peer review) is showing that after 6 months the Pfizer vaccine is only 42% effective and the Moderna is 75%. Boosters will be necessary. The COVID-19 virus is mutating in the face of vaccinations much faster than expected by scientists. So it seems like what was a fact yesterday will probably change tomorrow. 

It seems like there is a lot of disagreement with Viking's protocols. I don't expect them to change them. On the myvikingjourney web site it says: "Developed in coordination with an international team of scientific and medical advisors, the Viking Health & Safety Program is one of the most well-researched and comprehensive COVID-19 prevention and mitigation plans in the travel industry."  And it really doesn't even matter what the Viking protocol is because Iceland has imposed a stricter one. Viking has a choice of following Iceland's quarantine guidelines or having ports closed to them. 

I am following this thread to hear from cruisers what is happening now, and we're not hearing much. We have to deal with that reality. I really wanted to do this cruise and since I will probably only have one chance to visit Iceland--and this trip is not cheap--I don't want to do it walking around towns, sitting on a balcony, or being forced into a quarantine hotel. We are going down to the wire on cancellation hoping the situation will change before our cancellation cutoff date. I think that's being ridiculously optimistic. I'm sure we will be bailing out sometime next week. 

I hear you.  Although the little port towns were charming, our only reason for going to Iceland was to experience the great outdoors up close and personal.  And Iceland has such different, changing and unique landscapes.  We feel at 70 and 71 our time is quickly running out for having the physical strength and ability to hike for long stretches on uneven, rocky and sometimes steep terraine.  Almost every tour we took we would walk for 45 minutes or more at each of the several stops.  To get to most of this scenery of diverse and unique land, you have to ride in a bus.  So it really does depend on what you want to do and see.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I hear you.  Although the little port towns were charming, our only reason for going to Iceland was to experience the great outdoors up close and personal.  And Iceland has such different, changing and unique landscapes.  We feel at 70 and 71 our time is quickly running out for having the physical strength and ability to hike for long stretches on uneven, rocky and sometimes steep terraine.  Almost every tour we took we would walk for 45 minutes or more at each of the several stops.  To get to most of this scenery of diverse and unique land, you have to ride in a bus.  So it really does depend on what you want to do and see.

Exactly. I am 76 (I like to think I'm a young 76) and struggling with sciatica which is in a flareup. I want the full Iceland experience (maybe without the extreme sports). Sadly, with COVID defying all expectations it may be a long time before things settle down. I'm glad that you and others were able to go earlier when it seemed safer and enjoy it so much.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bookworm114 said:

We are on the Aug 24 sailing and luckily are coming in several days early. We have booked two bus tours before we go into the Viking bubble. Does anyone know the Icelandic protocol and testing for public bus tours? How do they contact trace you and test on  tours through agencies like Reykjavik Excursions and the like? Would they contact us several days later when we are on the ship? We are trying to maximize our “free” time. 

I'm confused who issues the contact tracing devices. The government upon arrival or Viking when you board.

Strictly my opinion: Unless there is a MANDATE from Iceland (which there is not, as far as my research has taken me) that every vacationer in Iceland get tested every day, then Viking is going WAY beyond what is necessary.  We all are vaccinated.  I agree that we need to comply with Iceland's mandate that we test negative upon entering the country.  I agree that we need to comply with the USA's mandate that we test negative before flying directly to the US.

Other than that, there is NO mandate on either the is.usembassy.gov site nor on the covid.is site to test at any time in-between.  That is pure Viking.  If people want to VOLUNTARILY be notified about someone with a (possibly erroneous) positive test onboard IF THAT SUBJECT ASKED TO BE TESTED BECAUSE HE/SHE FEELS POORLY, then so be it.  I have been on two cruises thus far in July and August on other lines, and we did just fine.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rappersmom said:

On the myvikingjourney web site it says: "Developed in coordination with an international team of scientific and medical advisors, the Viking Health & Safety Program is one of the most well-researched and comprehensive COVID-19 prevention and mitigation plans in the travel industry."  And it really doesn't even matter what the Viking protocol is because Iceland has imposed a stricter one. Viking has a choice of following Iceland's quarantine guidelines or having ports closed to them. 

This is precisely the problem with the Iceland cruises. It is out of Viking's hands which dramatically raises the risk for passengers. Even in the Viking bubble and you follow the rules, if someone on a bus 20 rows away from you tests positive, Iceland can have you quarantined on their terms. I am not willing to risk having to wash clothes in a bath tub on vacation!  The quarantine narratives posted on FB were frightening to read. 

• Like 2

I hope a “non-Covid related” question is OK.  
My wife and I are on the upcoming Viking Sky on 8/28, our first Viking cruise.

The dress code for men at dinner states a collared shirt.  Is anyone aware if a v-neck sweater instead would be acceptable?   Thanks.

• Like 2

We were on the July 27 Jupiter cruise and did not find the daily testing, contact tracing, mask wearing etc. to be unsettling in any way because we new in advance what to expect.  Our cruise was the first one where we were required to present negative tests before we could board the plane to Iceland and many people scrambled to get tested in time.  Bags were taken off the plane if passengers did not have the test results.  We were fortunate to have good weather and no interruptions on this cruise.  The new policy of requiring anyone, even though testing negative, to be quarantined because someone on the bus tested positive is very concerning and I hope this policy in changed for future cruisers.  Iceland is a beautiful and interesting country to visit.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone knew Viking's testing policy when they signed up for the Welcome Back cruises, good or bad idea it's not new news. Go or not but it is what it is and constant complaining on this site isn't helpful but it is adding to the stress level of all we need to do to go. Perhaps this is an unpopular view but let the posts be helpful.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Milliegirl229 said:

Everyone knew Viking's testing policy when they signed up for the Welcome Back cruises, good or bad idea it's not new news. Go or not but it is what it is and constant complaining on this site isn't helpful but it is adding to the stress level of all we need to do to go. Perhaps this is an unpopular view but let the posts be helpful.

I agree completely. There is no help in dealing with "what should be" rather than "what is." 

• Like 4

I hope this is helpful - from Viking Passenger Contract:

If, after embarkation, you have a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a  medical test and you are disembarked, refused reboarding, or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that  you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract and subject to your  providing verification satisfactory to us of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained  by us, you will be entitled to a refund of the amount you paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of the  disembarkation, refusal to reboard or quarantine or, at your election, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit  equal in value to the amount of such prorated refund. If, after embarkation, we, in our sole discretion, suspect you  may be infected with COVID-19 or other communicable disease and you are disembarked, refused reboarding  or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and  Procedures or this Ticket Contract, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount you  paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of the disembarkation, refusal to reboard or quarantine. If, after  embarkation, you are disembarked, refused reboarding or quarantined because of a confirmed or suspected case  of COVID-19 or other communicable disease, we shall have no other liability for any other compensation or other  damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging, travel, or medical care.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, rjroman said:

The dress code for men at dinner states a collared shirt.  Is anyone aware if a v-neck sweater instead would be acceptable?   Thanks.

We are on the Viking Sky departing August 28th.  On all of the Viking ocean cruises that we’ve taken, it was rare to see a male passenger in the dinner restaurant not wearing a collared shirt.  However, it did happen periodically so most likely it will depend on who’s controlling entry at the door that day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

From Viking website today. 

Our aim is to have all Viking crew vaccinated. We are doing everything we can to accelerate this process and meet that goal, and currently, the vast majority of our crew has already been vaccinated. Furthermore, our robust protocol includes frequent PCR testing of all guests and crew, making Viking even safer for all on board.

Should be all

3 minutes ago, travelordie said:

We are on the Viking Sky departing August 28th.  On all of the Viking ocean cruises that we’ve taken, it was rare to see a male passenger in the dinner restaurant not wearing a collared shirt.  However, it did happen periodically so most likely it will depend on who’s controlling entry at the door that day.

I doubt they will give you a hard time. Many men wear a shirt under those. It wouldn’t upset me. I’m sure you look great. 

• Like 1

So, I'm almost on my way to sail 8/21 on the beautiful Sky! I almost have a Covid test nailed down, I found my bug net that I ordered weeks ago and lost, I got my nails did.

I know y'all are all worried and for good reason, but I'm so excited I'm about to pee my pants.

Is it time to start worrying about plane crashes and missed connections? (aka more crap we cannot control)

Safe travels, everybody!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, KarNog said:

So, I'm almost on my way to sail 8/21 on the beautiful Sky! I almost have a Covid test nailed down, I found my bug net that I ordered weeks ago and lost, I got my nails did.

I know y'all are all worried and for good reason, but I'm so excited I'm about to pee my pants.

Is it time to start worrying about plane crashes and missed connections? (aka more crap we cannot control)

Safe travels, everybody!

No kidding sound like me. We packed today. Don’t forget to cross pack with your roomie. Some people’s cases never arrive. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, KarNog said:

Safe travels, everybody!

I hope you and everyone on your ship have a perfect voyage. I'm excited for you. Please post from the trip and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjroman said:

9 minutes ago, travelordie said:

Agree it really depends on who’s on duty that night. I was able to eat at the Restaurant wearing jeans. My mom wore dark color jeans to the Restaurant and the Manfredi’s a couple times. 

32 minutes ago, KarNog said:

Safe travels, everybody!

12 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

No kidding sound like me. We packed today. Don’t forget to cross pack with your roomie. Some people’s cases never arrive.