LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 minute ago, DaveSJ711 said:

So one post about the issue is fine, but not two?

Psychologically speaking, most often, the more you ruminate about an issue that brings you unhappiness the worse you feel.

You might feel some temporary relief as you type about the frustration here but that is usually just a momentary distraction. 

Thus, it is my supposition that people who are repeatedly writing about their frustrations here are making themselves more unhappy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I understand your personal feelings about testing. It's your right to have those feelings. What I don't understand, however, is your belief that hospitals don't follow best practices when they don't require daily testing. That's a different issue altogether -- and why I asked about the basis for your belief about the hospital approach. 

Are you saying testing every one every day is not a better practice than not testing anyone until they show signs of Covid.   "Best practices" is an interesting term.  Hospitals are managed by the same rules as a lot of businesses.  They do the very best they can with the resources that they have.  They do not have the resources to test everyone everyday.

As an aside I believe you were a great travel journalist when you were going around Iceland before we took our cruise around Iceland.  Your comments on each of the sites was very useful.  I think I offered to buy you and Linda a drink on any future cruise we are on together.   The offer stll exists even though I think you are a much better travel journalist than you are as an expert on Medical Best Practices 🙂 .

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, KarNog said:

Mine's working on Chrome.

Thank you KarNog.  The error message appears on all my browsers including Chrome.  After seeing your response, I phoned Viking and much to my surprise, immediately got through to a Viking rep who emailed me a pdf containing all of the information.  Well done Viking.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, travelordie said:

Thank you KarNog.  The error message appears on all my browsers including Chrome.  After seeing your response, I phoned Viking and much to my surprise, immediately got through to a Viking rep who emailed me a pdf containing all of the information.  Well done Viking.

I had a very successful live chat today. They are so good at so much of the stuff they do, aren't they?

1 minute ago, SBRworld said:

I still do not understand the benefit of repeating complaints about Viking’s policies. 

I also don’t understand the rationale for being unkind to others and then reporting others for responding similarly. 

I believe you misunderstand this discussion about the rationale of Viking’s and Iceland’s policies. It’s an important conversation to have.

In terms of reporting rude member directed comments, please read Cruise Critic’s member guidelines. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KarNog said:

Is it too late for you to change to the 8/21 Sky with BarbRN and me? We're gonna have fun, COVID be damned! Seriously, if I have to sit on my balcony and drink for seven days, that means I'll never have to get out of my jammies. Look at all the laundry I won't have to do when I get home.

I am on the 8/21 sailing and so looking forward to it.   Covid test on Wednesday and then Iceland registration for bar code.   Last of the requirements then we are off to Iceland!!  Wooo hoo!!!  I am going to have a good time and will deal with whatever comes up.   I only want happy and excited folks around me.  So if you are a worrier or Debbie downer.....don't go or at least stay away from me.  I believe all will be great.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Is there an Iceland/EU/USA government regulation or law requiring this?

Requiring testing? Or requiring the rationale for it? No requirement by anybody for daily testing, as far as I’m aware.

Wow. This is discussion doesn't feel like Viking. My guess is that both sides are right. Maybe we can all agree to the following:

1) While daily PCR testing is not medically necessary, it does provide peace of mind for some/many. Even if unnecessary, it is just a minor inconvenience.

2) Viking has done the state of the art response to COVID--required vaccination and regular testing. We all should be grateful. Without this some/many (me!) would not feel comfortable cruising.

3) Viking's quarantine protocol as stated on its website is reasonable and fair.

4) Viking could be more transparent when there is an unexpected change in a country's quarantine policy that overrides Viking's policy, so that people aboard the ship are not caught off-guard with an  unexpected quarantine.

• Like 5

Effective immediately, COVID-related discussion should be limited to actual policy on board ships (and other forms of travel) and its practical application.  Discussion should NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We’re not “debating” it—we’re talking about actual policy on Viking ships.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. 

This thread discusses Viking's daily testing policy. It's entirely appropriate on that basis, though it veered off the rails with member-directed comments by KarNog in particular. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SBRworld said:

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. 

Again, we’re talking about Viking policy. Not necessary to post your response in bold super font.

It seems this discussion not only creates psychological distress but also goes against Cruise Critic guidelines. 

My previous posts were directly copied and pasted from Cruise Critic- hence the font. 

This is clearly a debate about whether Viking policies are right or wrong. I might go as far as saying it appears to be an ongoing argument. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Requiring testing? Or requiring the rationale for it? No requirement by anybody for daily testing, as far as I’m aware.

Sorry but you misquoted me. I was referring to: "Is there an Iceland/EU/USA government regulation or law requiring this?"

However, they (Viking)  need to be very clear up front about what is a close contact, what the response will be and support it with evidence.

Edited by Heartgrove

3 minutes ago, SBRworld said:

What Viking shore excursions are people signing up for during their cruise? 

I'm doing Vigur Island, Isafjordur & Bolungarvik Village, Whale-Watching Safari, Panoramic Akureyri, Seydisfjordur on Foot, Cultural Sights of Djupivogur, Halsar Hike, Volcanic Landscapes by ATV, and Snapshots of Heimaey.

I cancelled Golden Circle because otherwise I'd have no time to eat or sleep or drink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarNog said:

The overarching point is that Viking doesn't have to be more transparent with its customers. Repeatedly, it's been stated that they have the sole discretion to do as they please. 

Many of their customers apparently are satisfied with their decisions. If the majority become dissatisfied, Viking will change its policies or sail off into the sunset alone.

I agree with what you are saying. They don't have to be. I'm sure they have a room full of risk analysts (as does every major company) assessing the cost benefit of every decision, particularly the risk of loyalty loss over customer-facing issues. If the analysts make a mistake, then Viking will have to change its policies. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SBRworld said:

I’m wondering if horseback riding is a good idea or not. 

I’m also wondering about whale watching. I thought I read something about people not seeing whales or having to remain on land? 

If you haven't already, you might want to check out this thread. It is reviews of some of the excursions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SBRworld said:

I’m wondering if horseback riding is a good idea or not. 

I’m also wondering about whale watching. I thought I read something about people not seeing whales or having to remain on land? 

My friend is going horseback riding next week. I'll let ya know how she likes it. I've read pretty good reports on the Whale Watching.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KarNog said:

My friend is going horseback riding next week. I'll let ya know how she likes it. I've read pretty good reports on the Whale Watching.

Oh, and I read some less than stellar reviews from the Beluga Whale Center. But as you know, everyone has different view points.

• Like 1