LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

25 minutes ago, KarNog said:

So, I'm almost on my way to sail 8/21 on the beautiful Sky! I almost have a Covid test nailed down, I found my bug net that I ordered weeks ago and lost, I got my nails did.

I know y'all are all worried and for good reason, but I'm so excited I'm about to pee my pants.

Is it time to start worrying about plane crashes and missed connections? (aka more crap we cannot control)

Safe travels, everybody!

You sound like the kind of people we like to cruise with, having a positive attitude and looking at the good of the trip. Too many posts on here are so negative and I certainly hope their negative attitude towards this trip doesn't extend to the actual trip itself as they would be miserable and make those around them miserable. We are going with eyes wide open about challenges of this trip and as bad as being sent home after 2 or 3 days would be my biggest fear is having to quarantine for 14 days after the cruise but I do know that's possible. We aren't in the group that go on 10 or so cruises/trips a year but we do and have traveled so that this isn't the trip of a lifetime for us but it is a financial commitment so we do want all to go well so we can enjoy everything about Jupiter and Iceland. I hope my shipmates are the positive ones and all have a good time and no covid issues to deal with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rjroman said:

I hope a “non-Covid related” question is OK.  
My wife and I are on the upcoming Viking Sky on 8/28, our first Viking cruise.

The dress code for men at dinner states a collared shirt.  Is anyone aware if a v-neck sweater instead would be acceptable?   Thanks.

When my husband wore a crew sweater to dinner he still wore a collared shirt underneath.  He could try it and report back.  Polo or golf shirts are allowed.  Those are much more casual then a nice sweater but they do have a collar.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Milliegirl229 said:

You sound like the kind of people we like to cruise with, having a positive attitude and looking at the good of the trip. Too many posts on here are so negative and I certainly hope their negative attitude towards this trip doesn't extend to the actual trip itself as they would be miserable and make those around them miserable. We are going with eyes wide open about challenges of this trip and as bad as being sent home after 2 or 3 days would be my biggest fear is having to quarantine for 14 days after the cruise but I do know that's possible. We aren't in the group that go on 10 or so cruises/trips a year but we do and have traveled so that this isn't the trip of a lifetime for us but it is a financial commitment so we do want all to go well so we can enjoy everything about Jupiter and Iceland. I hope my shipmates are the positive ones and all have a good time and no covid issues to deal with.

Is it too late for you to change to the 8/21 Sky with BarbRN and me? We're gonna have fun, COVID be damned! Seriously, if I have to sit on my balcony and drink for seven days, that means I'll never have to get out of my jammies. Look at all the laundry I won't have to do when I get home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Milliegirl229 said:

Everyone knew Viking's testing policy when they signed up for the Welcome Back cruises, good or bad idea it's not new news. Go or not but it is what it is and constant complaining on this site isn't helpful but it is adding to the stress level of all we need to do to go. Perhaps this is an unpopular view but let the posts be helpful.

Hear hear.  We all had the opportunity to know the protocols when we booked and if we didn't, shame on us.  In July we were whining about mask wearing, now we are complaining about daily testing and contact tracing.  It is what it is and we go and comply or we don't go.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whipperwilleo said:

I hope this is helpful - from Viking Passenger Contract:

If, after embarkation, you have a case of COVID-19 or other communicable disease which is confirmed by a  medical test and you are disembarked, refused reboarding, or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that  you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract and subject to your  providing verification satisfactory to us of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained  by us, you will be entitled to a refund of the amount you paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of the  disembarkation, refusal to reboard or quarantine or, at your election, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit  equal in value to the amount of such prorated refund. If, after embarkation, we, in our sole discretion, suspect you  may be infected with COVID-19 or other communicable disease and you are disembarked, refused reboarding  or quarantined as a result, unless we determine that you have failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and  Procedures or this Ticket Contract, you will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount you  paid to us as Cruise Fare prorated to the time of the disembarkation, refusal to reboard or quarantine. If, after  embarkation, you are disembarked, refused reboarding or quarantined because of a confirmed or suspected case  of COVID-19 or other communicable disease, we shall have no other liability for any other compensation or other  damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging, travel, or medical care.

Wow, someone else actually read the Passenger Ticket Contract.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Wow, someone else actually read the Passenger Ticket Contract.

No reason to be so cynical. I’m a lawyer, and I’ve read that contract from top to bottom.

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 2

Once y’all board the ship and are settled in your stateroom you can relax and enjoy.  We found almost everyone on our cruise to be up beat about their Iceland adventure.  If you’ve been on Viking before you know the food and service is great.    Relax and enjoy!  You’ve “earned” this vacation considering the requirements and stress of traveling during a pandemic.  Safe travels!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KarNog said:

Is it too late for you to change to the 8/21 Sky with BarbRN and me? We're gonna have fun, COVID be damned! Seriously, if I have to sit on my balcony and drink for seven days, that means I'll never have to get out of my jammies. Look at all the laundry I won't have to do when I get home.

Darn, too late to change cruises. If we are quarantined in our room we just hope that we can get room service from the bar and gelato! I think I'll learn from this and in the future and pick a cruise with the fun and positive people! Enjoy your cruise, looking forward to hearing of your experience. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Milliegirl229 said:

Darn, too late to change cruises. If we are quarantined in our room we just hope that we can get room service from the bar and gelato! I think I'll learn from this and in the future and pick a cruise with the fun and positive people! Enjoy your cruise, looking forward to hearing of your experience. 

Someone should design a questionnaire, similar to choosing your first college roommate.

1. Do you worry if your socks don't match?

2. Does it matter if your dinner partner's socks don't match?

3. Is worrying about the inevitable your only hobby?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TayanaLorna said:

Sure, they can list all the suspicious activities you listed and each one is a risk but it will always end with "and any other activity that we, at our sole discretion deem suspicious".  All these activities are and can be suspicious  and that is why there is daily testing and contact tracing so Viking does not have 26 confirmed cases on board a cruise.

Carnival Vista is a much bigger ship with about 4500 passengers and 1500 crew. Of the 27 positive cases, 26 cases were crew members. Only 1 guest tested positive. According to Carnival, no other close contacts were tested positive. Also, keep in mind Carnival Vista is not 100% vaccinated cruise; although all the positive cases are vaccinated individuals. 

The Carnival didn’t  prove that daily testing is effective. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KarNog said:

Then I guess you should take your vacation in a hospital. It seems much safer there than on a cruise ship.

I'm glad my mama isn't reading this thread. She'd ground me.

Another cynical post. Yet, people who raised valid questions, expressed legitimate concerns and engaged in civil discussions are people with “negative” attitude. What an irony. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

Another cynical post. Yet, people who raised valid questions, expressed legitimate concerns and engaged in civil discussions are people with “negative” attitude. What an irony. 

Yet another cynical post from someone complaining about posts that are cynical. See, this is a never ending cynical cycle. What an irony.

• Like 1

We were on the July 27 Jupiter cruise with pre and post stays in Reykjavik.  We used the same cabdriver for going from hotel to port, port to hotel and hotel to airport.  Our driver responded immediately to our texts and was always on time.  If you are looking for reliable transport in Iceland contact Marino Ellertsson at:    mogm1992atgmaildotcom.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KarNog said:

Yet another cynical post from someone complaining about posts that are cynical. See, this is a never ending cynical cycle. What an irony.

Wish you and all who decided to cruise in this summer a wonderful sailing with good weather and no incident. I love Viking and am rooting for its success. I have two cruises booked and hope to sail when things improve. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really having trouble understanding the complaints about daily testing.   We were on the Viking Sky July 10th Cruise that had to miss it's last 3 ports because of one Covid positive case on-board.  I can tell you that we loved the cruise including the last three unplanned "Sea Days".  Being tested everyday was no big deal.   In fact, it made both of us feel a lot saver to know we and the other passengers were being tested especially after we had our positive case.   Why wouldn't you want to know if you had Covid?  Why wouldn't you want to know that other passengers you were with tested negative for that day?   A few weeks ago I got the chills, had aches and felt fatigued - I thought I might have Covid and got tested three times each a couple of days apart to make sure I did not have Covid.   During this time I quarantined at home in a different room than my wife and we both wore masks.  It was not a very fun five days but it was much better than giving it to my wife or anyone else if I did have Covid.  The good news is that I didn't have it and was just feeling bad for another reason that my doctor has been unable to identify.   

The bottom line is that if you take this cruise most likely nothing Covid related will happen to you.   You probably have a much greater chance of something Covid related happening at home.   In the unlikely event you happen to be on a bus or contact traced to someone who tests positive, that is unfortunate but Viking will do their best to see you are feed well and you will experience some truly remarkable scenery from your deck.  I would have much prefered my five days of quarantine on Viking week before last than in a bedroom at home.  If in the worst case, you get Covid, that is truly unfortunate, but it can happen at home as well.   So far as I know on all the Viking Wellcome Back cruises there has been less than 5 positive cases in total with over 5000 passengers.  The vast marority of these passengers have truly loved their cruise.   If you are really concerned, don't go.  If you are going to go, don't worry - be happy!

Edited by Dukefan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

I really having trouble understanding the complaints about daily testing.   We were on the Viking Sky July 10th Cruise that had to miss it's last 3 ports because of one Covid positive case on-board.  I can tell you that we loved the cruise including the last three unplanned "Sea Days".  Being tested everyday was no big deal.   In fact, it made both of us feel a lot saver to know we and the other passengers were being tested especially after we had our positive case.   Why wouldn't you want to know if you had Covid?  Why wouldn't you want to know that other passengers you were with tested negative for that day?   A few weeks ago I got the chills, had aches and felt fatigued - I thought I might have Covid and got tested three times each a couple of days apart to make sure I did not have Covid.   During this time I quarantined at home in a different room than my wife and we both wore masks.  It was not a very fun five days but it was much better than giving it to my wife or anyone else if I did have Covid.  The good news is that I didn't have it and was just feeling bad for another reason that my doctor has been unable to identify.   

The bottom line is that if you take this cruise must likely nothing Covid related will happen to you.   You probably have a much greater chance of something Covid related happening at home.   In the unlikely event you happen to be on a bus or contact traced to someone who tests positive, that is unfortunate but Viking will do their best to see you are feed well and you will experience some truly remarkable scenery from your deck.  I would have much prefered my five days of quarantine on Viking week before last than in a bedroom at home.  If in the worst case, you get Covid, that is truly unfortunate, but it can happen at home as well.   So far as I know on all the Viking Wellback cruises there has been less than 5 positive cases in total with over 5000 passengers.  The vast marority of these passengers have truly loved their cruise.   If you are really concerned, don't go.  If you are going to go, don't worry - be happy!

Glad you're feeling better and that you enjoyed your cruise, despite the fact that things went awry.  Thanks for your positive insight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, KarNog said:

Glad you're feeling better and that you enjoyed your cruise, despite the fact that things went awry.  Thanks for your positive insight.

The daily testing, even if medically unnecessary, doesn't concern me. That is Viking's call. I'm happy to comply. Wearing masks in public doesn't bother me. I already do. It is my being quarantined unexpectedly by Iceland because I just so happen to be masked on a Viking excursion bus with a person who tests positive that concerns me. My guess is the vast majority of Viking Iceland passengers are unaware of this possibility. Aside from the transparency in this area which would rankle most of us, Viking is doing a superb job, JMHO

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

The daily testing, even if medically unnecessary, doesn't concern me. That is Viking's call. I'm happy to comply. Wearing masks in public doesn't bother me. I already do. It is my being quarantined unexpectedly by Iceland because I just so happen to be masked on a Viking excursion bus with a person who tests positive that concerns me. My guess is the vast majority of Viking Iceland passengers are unaware of this possibility. Aside from the transparency in this area which would rankle most of us, Viking is doing a superb job, JMHO

I agree. That is the one situation where the only control you have is to avoid bus rides entirely. And it seems like an overreaction on Iceland's part. But it is a risk that passengers should know about.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Being quarantined unnecessarily is a concern. But I hardly expect Viking to send emails to all her passengers with a warning any more than I'd expect United to send emails warning of the possibility of a plane crash. I honestly don't mean this to come off as snark.  We simply cannot be forewarned of every possible incident. Again, we knew the possibility of cancellations and interruptions and quarantine and infection when we booked our trips. 

Edited by KarNog

1 minute ago, KarNog said:

Being quarantined unnecessarily is a concern. But I hardly expect Viking to send emails to all her passengers with a warning any more than I'd expect United to send emails warning of the possibility of a plane crash. I honestly don't mean this to come off as snark.  We simply cannot be forewarned of every possible incident. Again, we knew the possibility of cancellations and interruptions and infection when we booked our trips. 

I believe once the Iceland's policy was changed, passengers should have been told and forewarned that they could be quarantined if a person tests positive on a Viking bus excursion. I could then decide whether to take excursions using a bus or not. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1