How cruise lines are coping with Vaccination Ban

The work around for Florida seems to be "We can ask, but we can't require". Each line is doing something different. This article gives a breakdown for each cruise line, which is likely relevant for anyone considering cruising in the next few months. Interestingly, NCL is omitted from the work around discussion and instead the author writes: Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings mandates 100% vaccination, no exceptions, from wherever it sails, for now. 

Florida's vaccine passport ban — 'We can ask; we can't require' | seatrade-cruise.com

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

NCL isn't sailing out of FL until August, so they still have time to come up with an effective plan. Other lines are sailing as early as this weekend, so they have had to scramble and cobble together something like a plan. Hopefully NCL will be able to learn from what works and doesn't work for the other lines.

• Like 2

@JamieLogicalyes, NCL are certainly one of the last out of the Florida gate so they do have an opportunity to learn from others. However; as you know,  their current plan does not allow for compromise. Their plan (for now) remains 100% vaccination thru October. NCL either amends their plan or Florida amends their vaccination rule. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

For whoever goes the 95% route, I will be interested to see how they enforce the restrictions for the unvaccinated passengers.  I have not seen anything more than speculation about that.

We'll find out this weekend when the Edge sets sail!

Just now, Karaboudjan said:

For whoever goes the 95% route, I will be interested to see how they enforce the restrictions for the unvaccinated passengers.  I have not seen anything more than speculation about that.

I suspect it's going to be a cluster. So much is changing so quickly. It's hard for us to keep up on the sidelines, I can't imagine how challenging it is for employees. Unless there are last minute cancellations, we will know very shortly how it's being handled onboard. With technology, videos of onboard experiences will be streaming in faster than we can watch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Look at what Royal Caribbean is doing on unvaccinated passengers.   They are requiring all be tested onboard 2-3 times at a cost that for a family of four can be significant.  

Also, unvaccinated are required to dine in a specific area of the MDR with social distancing; they must wear masks when outside their cabins and more.  This will discourage many unvaccinated from booking.

On cruises of 10 days or more, which is what we generally take, the Senior population is very high.

The vaccination rate for Seniors in the USA is 87% one dose and 77% fully vaccinated.   Cruises that we are interested in will likely have a small percentage of unvaccinated.

Short cruises in the Caribbean may be more of an issue.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I suspect it's going to be a cluster. 

I suspect you're right, and that it very likely will be a super-cluster.  🤣

I've found the cruise demographic to be, at times, a bit more challenging than the typical public demographic.  Sure 90%+ are great people to be around.  However, that last 5% - 10%.....

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  It will be interesting to see if that one sticks.

I'm on the 8/15 Gem from Miami and already received flight confirmation and details from NCL as we booked through the BOGO air promotion. I find it hard to believe NCL would arrange the flights 50+ days out if they were seriously doubting this cruise would go as planned.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BamaCruiser39 said:

I'm on the 8/15 Gem from Miami and already received flight confirmation and details from NCL as we booked through the BOGO air promotion. I find it hard to believe NCL would arrange the flights 50+ days out if they were seriously doubting this cruise would go as planned.

I consider that a good sign as well! fingers crossed for you!!! 🙂

I for one, want to see a few of these sailings happen already so we can get an idea how things will work and hopefully have positive results.  I don't sail until January, so by then, hopefully all the kinks will have been ironed out.

Right now, nobody really knows anything.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 12:17 PM, 4774Papa said:

Look at what Royal Caribbean is doing on unvaccinated passengers.   They are requiring all be tested onboard 2-3 times at a cost that for a family of four can be significant.  

Also, unvaccinated are required to dine in a specific area of the MDR with social distancing; they must wear masks when outside their cabins and more.  This will discourage many unvaccinated from booking.

On cruises of 10 days or more, which is what we generally take, the Senior population is very high.

The vaccination rate for Seniors in the USA is 87% one dose and 77% fully vaccinated.   Cruises that we are interested in will likely have a small percentage of unvaccinated.

Short cruises in the Caribbean may be more of an issue.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:33 AM, Karaboudjan said:

Royal did not enforce unvaccinated passenger rules last week. And the rules were very simple,,, wear a mask in indoors and in crowded outdoors locations. We were about 94% vaccinated. 

100% of the passengers were tested at check-in and all non-B2B passengers were tested on Day 6 or 7. 

14 minutes ago, Old & Retired said:

Exactly.  Neither will NCL.  The hysteria is about over.

It depends entirely with what happens with the CDC. If they retain purview over sailings (even the injunction that goes into effect on 7/18 only applies to FL), then cruise lines will be required to enforce mitigation measures included in the Return to Sail Framework or will risk having their ships shut down. The Royal Caribbean sailing last week was not under the purview of the CDC since it sailed out of Nassau. Also, their rules were stricter than those currently in the CDC guidelines, which say that on 95%+ vaccinated cruises, no one is required to wear masks, vaccinated or unvaccinated. Royal and Celebrity seem to be using the threat of masking as a deterrent for unvaccinated passengers coming on board in the first place.

PS: NCL has already said masks won't be required on board for their 100% vaccinated sailings.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 4

Celebrity Edge, leaving from Florida just changed their 95% vaccinated to allow for unvaccinated passengers. I am really, really sad and disappointed. I was hoping with them asking for proof of vaccinations, it would give me hope for my cruise out of Miami.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

Celebrity Edge, leaving from Florida just changed their 95% vaccinated to allow for unvaccinated passengers. I am really, really sad and disappointed. I was hoping with them asking for proof of vaccinations, it would give me hope for my cruise out of Miami.

That is not true. The news stories are misleading. If you actually read them, they are sticking with their same plan. If they dropped their 95% vaccination requirement, they would not be in compliance with the CDC's rules and would have to conduct test sailings. Since they are sailing in two days, they clearly do not have time to do that.

They are not "requiring" proof of vaccination. That has been their stance for weeks now. They are asking passengers to volunteer proof of vaccination. If passengers are unwilling or unable to volunteer proof, they will be placed in the 5% bucket, will be required to be tested 3 times at their own expense, and required to wear masks when not in their state rooms. The news outlets are focusing in on the fact they aren't "requiring proof", but that has not changed from their announcement a couple of weeks ago in order to remain in compliance with FL's vaccine passport law and the CDC's regulations. 

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

Exactly.  Neither will NCL.  The hysteria is about over.

Why would NCL need to enforce the un-vaxxed protocols? Isn't NCL still going to sail with 100% vaccinated passengers, even from Florida? If that is the case, then they do not have to be concerned with un-vaxxed protocols to be enforced.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:14 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

The work around for Florida seems to be "We can ask, but we can't require". Each line is doing something different. This article gives a breakdown for each cruise line, which is likely relevant for anyone considering cruising in the next few months. Interestingly, NCL is omitted from the work around discussion and instead the author writes: Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings mandates 100% vaccination, no exceptions, from wherever it sails, for now. 

Florida's vaccine passport ban — 'We can ask; we can't require' | seatrade-cruise.com

I get it...."we can ask but we can't require". BUT.....NCL will not be allowing anyone who is not vaxxed to board their ships, even home porting from Florida. Has NCL explained their strategy sailing from Florida? OR....are they just blatantly going to disregard the Florida law that prohibits any business from denying anyone access to their services because of vaccine status? Does anyone know what the plan is?

Has NCL's lawyers found another loop hole that they are keeping under wraps for now?

On 6/23/2021 at 8:33 AM, Karaboudjan said:

Well, someone upthread said that Royal was not enforcing the un-vaxxed rule for masking on a cruise last week. So.....is it already starting that un-vaxxed people are not masking indoors as they should be? Is that to be believed? If it is, this is eventually going to bite someone in the ass. I just know it is a matter of time.

Edited by coffeebean

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

I get it...."we can ask but we can't require". BUT.....NCL will not be allowing anyone who is not vaxxed to board their ships, even home porting from Florida. Has NCL explained their strategy sailing from Florida? OR....are they just blatantly going to disregard the Florida law that prohibits any business from denying anyone access to their services because of vaccine status? Does anyone know what the plan is?

Has NCL's lawyers found another loop hole that they are keeping under wraps for now?

We don't know yet. They have not announced anything regarding how their vaccine requirement will be enforced. As of right now, there is simply a checkbox on the online check-in where you attest that you are fully vaccinated. Clearly, at some point in the process, they will require proof.

Just now, coffeebean said:

Well, I just read on the Royal forum that Royal was not enforcing the un-vaxxed rule for masking. So.....it is already starting that un-vaxxed people are not masking indoors as they should be. This is eventually going to bite someone in the ass. I just know it is a matter of time.

Under the CDC guidelines, cruise lines that are sailing with 95% vaccinated do not need to require masking anywhere on the ship by anyone. The Royal Caribbean sailings that have sailed so far (two total) have been 95%+ vaccinated.