Carnival to add 2 new ships in 2023

jimbo5544

JH just posted CCL will take the AIDA LNG build due in late 2023 and also take the Costa Magica after branding drydock.

BIG NEWS - MAGICA NEWS

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE TO GROW FLEET BY TWO ADDITIONAL SHIPS BY 2023

MIAMI, June 23, 2021 – Carnival Cruise Line announced plans today to grow its fleet by two additional ships by 2023, taking the delivery position of an Excel-class ship that had previously been assigned to sister line AIDA Cruises that will arrive in late 2023, as well as taking ownership of Costa Magica from another of its European sister lines, with that ship going through a dry dock, renaming and Carnival-branded conversion and joining the fleet by mid-2022.
These two ships are in addition to the new capacity growth represented by Mardi Gras, Carnival’s first Excel-class, liquefied natural gas (LNG)-powered ship which starts sailing from Port Canaveral on July 31 and her sister ship, Carnival Celebration, which will be delivered and sail from Miami starting in late 2022, as part of Carnival’s 50th birthday festivities.
The addition of these four ships will bring the Carnival fleet to 27 by year-end 2023, and these ships bring many new amenities and features for guests, as well as environmental benefits and enhancements as Carnival continues to exceed and expand targets for emissions efficiencies.
“We are excited about these additions to our fleet which reflect the strong position that Carnival has established in the U.S., the pent-up demand we continue to see for cruise vacations, and the overall plans by Carnival Corporation to optimize capacity and growth in key markets,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line.  “While our immediate focus is on our restart of guest operations this summer, this is another cause for excitement at Carnival, and we will be announcing more detailed plans about homeports, itineraries and ship names very soon.”

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just saw the Press Release email.  Interesting.

So Carnival Cruise Line scrapped some smaller older ships during the pandemic, and adds a mid-life refurbished ship and a brand-new Excel.  Hmmm.  So where will the third Excel class sail from?  What other ports are likely to have reliable LNG supply?

8 minutes ago, toad455 said:

The Costa Magica is a sister-ship of the old Destiny/Triumph-class. So I'd assume she'll be in a long dry dock and become part of the Radiance class?

I would think you are correct.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So Carnival Cruise Line scrapped some smaller older ships during the pandemic, and adds a mid-life refurbished ship and a brand-new Excel.  Hmmm.  So where will the third Excel class sail from?  What other ports are likely to have reliable LNG supply?

I bet it's Ft Lauderdale just off the top of my head. 

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So many questions…..good problems to have.

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

So many questions…..good problems to have.

Yes, I am quite excited to not be discussing the other "stuff" endlessly.  

Instead:

New Ships!

FTTF!  Is it offered?  When?  Is it worth it?

Cheers!  Is it worth it?

Just waiting on "all dining should be YTD" and "We made final payment but third person in cabin needs to cancel.  Just do a no show?"

😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

What other ports are likely to have reliable LNG supply?

Largest LNG terminals would be Beaumont (no cruise port), Corpus Christi, (no cruise port), and Freeport (adjacent to Galveston)

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yes, I am quite excited to not be discussing the other "stuff" endlessly.  

Instead:

New Ships!

FTTF!  Is it offered?  When?  Is it worth it?

Cheers!  Is it worth it?

Just waiting on "all dining should be YTD" and "We made final payment but third person in cabin needs to cancel.  Just do a no show?"

😁

The world is in a def better place as is CC, totally agree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

Largest LNG terminals would be Beaumont (no cruise port), Corpus Christi, (no cruise port), and Freeport (adjacent to Galveston)

I would have thought Galveston before that news.

1 minute ago, 2Shoes2Go said:

Which class would the Costa Magica be in? Triumph - Sunrise or Victory - Radiance?

Yes, at least size wise, the branding drydock has Sunrise, Radiance tyoe overhaul written all over it.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

The Excel class ship could easily end up in Galveston in late 2023. They'd have 2 years to build a new terminal and the LNG infrastructure. They just started on a new terminal for RCCL that will be big enough to handle the Allure OTS.

11 minutes ago, mondello said:

The Excel class ship could easily end up in Galveston in late 2023. They'd have 2 years to build a new terminal and the LNG infrastructure. They just started on a new terminal for RCCL that will be big enough to handle the Allure OTS.

And Galveston has featured prominently in the restart of operations, with Carnival gushing endlessly about how they love the port.

So yeah, that would be my guess too, at this point.

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

And Galveston has featured prominently in the restart of operations, with Carnival gushing endlessly about how they love the port.

So yeah, that would be my guess too, at this point.

Galveston has always been a home run for Carnival, perfect location.  8 million people within a 3 hour drive.  

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Galveston has always been a home run for Carnival, perfect location.  8 million people within a 3 hour drive.  

True... Plus if you do a 5-600 mile radius for those of us in the middle of the country that can get there in a 1 day drive,  you can see the even bigger draw