The Daily for Friday Jun 25, 2021

richwmn

Today is Log Cabin Day, National Catfish Day, and National Food Truck Day

Art is anything you can get away with. -- Marshall McLuhan.

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Lemonade Chicken

Drink of the Day - The Gunpowder Plot

Wine of the day - Beringer White Zinfandel - California - Rose

Destination of the Day - Hakodate Japan

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 6/27
Zuiderdam Destination Los Angeles eta 6/26

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam

Princess Cay
Nieuw Statendam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0625Europe.thumb.png.0a50a764a780f5e783139b041b7fff1d.png

0625USA.thumb.png.13aaf175b321fae2aea5383205633e8c.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on National Catfish Day but salute Log Cabins.  I think Food Trucks are one of the few businesses that have done well in the pandemic.  Hakodate is another Japanese port I have not visited.  Love the McLuhan quote.  I think I'll pass on the alternate menu suggestion and go with Grilled Lemonade Chicken.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Western wildfires

JazzyV awaiting eye surgery

Kakalina awaiting radiation for aggressive cancer

Sam’s continuing headaches

Surfside, Florida

From the rotation:
Wandb’s sister undergoing agressive chemo
Cruising-along’s cousin rejecting a kidney
bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Laseyv and son in Sedonia for a week

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

Family visiting highland cruiser

StLouisCruiser back in St. Louis for soccer tournament

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

cunnorl’s niece visiting

second jab for erewhon DH

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Log cabins can be very beautiful.  I'll pass on the catfish.  Food trucks are great.

Love the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good - I think we'll have that tonight!

The drink of the day sounds interesting, hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Have a wonderful Friday.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Happy Friday everyone and thanks Rich for the daily report.  Love log cabins there was a company called Boyne Falls Log Homes in the town that I grew up in.  Catfish taste much better than they look.  The food trucks outside my office seem to have fared the pandemic nicely.  If today’s quote is true I was an artful little boy!  Today’s dish sounds delicious.  I have not been to today’s port so I eagerly anticipate the pictures. Tomorrow morning I’ll be typing my greeting from Royal Oak, MI if all goes well with travel this afternoon.  Prayers to all on our prayer list and special prayers to all of the victims and their loved ones in Surfside  , FL today after yesterday’s unimaginable tragedy.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.

• Like 23

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Friday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  Catfish is actually quite tasty.  Hard to come by here, though.  I’ll celebrate Food Truck Day.  We have a number here and that is one business that has done very well during covid and their food is pretty good 😄 

CB27D312-931E-40EC-BC6E-448CF65045C6.jpeg.8b83d31ffcb7f08daebcb3942a5a1050.jpeg

I just wish we had a food truck like this one:

C801F22E-B943-4D4D-86B1-2B2F1A62DBFA.jpeg.0ff9ff5021de633b53fb74fb3c062ae5.jpeg

LOL on the McLuhan quote.  Good one!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes yesterday. ♥️ 

Meal suggestion sounds really good but we just had chicken.  Not sure what I will concoct tonight.  It will depend on if it rains or not 😉. Whatever it may be there will be wine with it 😉 

79205FDC-C581-4313-9C74-E9ACA4265BB7.jpeg.6677618999c10b3352961e15f6617bff.jpeg

Another port that we were supposed to go to last Fall on our cancelled cruise 😌 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great TGIF, everyone!

FFF3B259-BB4E-4F8E-B2BA-F11644BD33C4.jpeg.21513925023e21ac93b9f4e81a8a7e8d.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love today’s combo. We used to have a Lobster Roll truck that visited our beach once a month, but they have stopped coming. Amazing lobster rolls. Log cabins are beautiful structures. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! Safe travels @Mr. Boston

Gloomy start to the morning. Light sprinkles on & off during our morning walk. Good thing, since you could feel the moisture in the air before it started to sprinkle. My Morning Glories are happy rainy season has arrived.

0A472057-D728-4401-95DC-B5F00AE170D3.jpeg.cc0b7044e28dcbc39f317f7d38eb4f13.jpeg

Love the quote.  The meal sounds tasty. And the drink sounds intriguing. Early Zumba class. The weather will dictate the rest of my day. 

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Beringer White Zinfandel - California 

If you are a fan of sweet rose wines, look for the 2010 vintage of this wine. It is the only released vintage with a very good rating. Consumers rank the other released vintages below average to poor. I laughed when I read the reviewers comment about this wine being a good one for those reaching the legal drinking age. I didn’t start to appreciate wine until I was in my late 20s. Clearly a late bloomer.

From “Honestwinereviews.com”:

This wine is light rose in color, almost approaching pink.  In the glass, this wine is not heavy by any means.  No legs here, just a sheeting action on the sides of the glass that quickly dissipates.  Interestingly, after the wine was consumed, you could see a layer of residue on the bottom of the glass.

The aroma of the wine was light and bright.  It was also very lofty, though more so noticed upon the initial pour.  Less so after a moment or two.  The nose was of fresh fruits and perhaps a hint of candy apple.

The wine’s taste was very sweet, as expected.  Given the light appearance of the wine, you may be suprised that the taste is a bit “darker” then might be expected.  This is primarily due to the sweetness of the wine.

The finish of the Beringer White Zinfandel was long and noticable all over the mouth.  A very slight bitter taste was noticed at the long end of the finish.

Overall, this wine makes for a good summer sipper.  It definitely needs to be serve chilled and you’ll find that recommendation on the bottle.  The relatively lower alcohol content also makes it a better sipper.  Pair this with a cookout on the grill and beach volleyball!  A good starter wine for a younger legal aged wine consumer. Beringer White Zinfandel price about $7.99 - $12.99 depending on the vintage. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. 

It is another beautiful morning in northeast Ohio.  Perfect weather for me to water seal the back deck and then I'll be done with outdoor maintenance for a while.  

Some log cabins are massive and very high scale.  Definitely out of my price range.   Not a fan of catfish, but after @kazu's comments, perhaps I'll give it another try.   I've gotten some of my best meals from food trucks.   

Today's meal does sound good.  The recipe calls for chicken legs, but you can use any part of the chicken.   I love lemon anything, so this will get a try in a less sugar kind of way.  I made yesterday's lemon garlic salmon with tilapia and it was great.   

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/grilled-lemonade-chicken-8149612

2001486601_GrilledLemonadeChicken.jpeg.d54c6fc808fd83e51bb51150005f024a.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thank you for the Daily. And thank you for the Care and Celebrations lists. 

Yesterday was a crazy busy day so now need to find yesterday's Daily and read it first.

Take care, y'all! 😊

• Like 18

Good Friday morning.  Interesting group of days.  Love the food trucks here, hope they do the gatherings again in the near future.  Not sure about the quote, but have seen some art that defies explanation.  Have not been to today's port.  Have had today's wine, enjoy it.

Prayers and virtual hugs for all of us.  The tragic condo collapse in Miami.  Toasts for our celebrations.  Please stay safe, continue to social distance, and wear your mask.

The Gunpowder Plot:

Ingredients

10 drops Bittermens Tiki Bitters

½ ounce lime juice

½ ounce honey syrup (made by diluting 3 parts honey to 1 part water, cool before use)

¼ ounce Dimmi di Milano

¼ ounce Liquore Strega

1 ounce Macchu Pisco

1 ounce Queen Jennie Sorghum Whiskey

Angostura bitters for garnish

Lime twist for garnish

Directions

Shake and strain over big cube in old-fashioned glass. Spritz or lightly dash Angostura bitters on top. Garnish with lime twist.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 7.48.02 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Dailyites.  Thank you Rich for the Fleet report and Daily. Cheers, prayers and blessings to all.

Deb the recipe is a keeper. Food trucks have some great eats. They seem to be real popular here in Texas. 

I love log cabins. Have stayed in a few over the years. Just something cozy about it with a fire burning in the fireplace..

image.png.72104f905fb869a4aa52849f2effa140.png

I already shared my doomed cat fishing story.

image.png.cf9f53bf3fabe063a5230d41762ae2df.png

Today is our one year check through on the house. Having some minor clean up then on our own. Painting mostly and squeaky doors that drive me crazy.

Wishing ya'll a wonderful day and weekend. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone.My son used to make log cabins from Lincoln Logs when he was young. We had an ice cream truck and a lobster truck come into the community during the pandemic. The ice cream was only so so, but the lobster truck was great.

Sam is going for a CAT scan today. No idea how long it will take to get it read, compared to the original before and after surgery. We probably won’t have results until Monday at the latest.

I’m really looking forward to celebrating my birthday tomorrow with my oldest friend who I met when I was 8 and my sister in law who are coming from NY for lunch. I will be two weeks past my vaccine tomorrow. I haven’t seen either of them in two years, since I had a big birthday party.

This new variant is concerning. I read that Israel is closing down to outsiders. My son in law who is Israeli and American left last night for Israel to visit his family. He goes in on an Israeli passport so I hope he makes it and doesn’t have to turn around and come back. Some people I know had to do that during the height of the pandemic.

Carol

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I will be two weeks past my vaccine tomorrow.

Do you feel for what the window would be if you were going to have a bad reaction to the jab (Mental block on what the condition was doctors feared it would cause).

Slowly coming back.  Bells Palsey, right?

Also, is the wait for a cat scan prolonging Sam's time in rehab?

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Additional thoughts
  • Like 11

Good Morning. Food trucks have come a long way in terms of quality and innovation. Years ago they had little more than pre-made sandwiches.The dinner suggestion sounds really good. I'm going to have to try that.

• Like 18

Good morning all!

We have a catfish pond at our place in Hillsboro MO. I like to eat them, but hate touching them when I catch one. Food trucks are quite popular here, during the pandemic some of them would even schedule a visit to your subdivision if you called them. 

Log cabin day is bittersweet for us. We had an 1850’s log cabin on our property in Hillsboro; it was a victim of arson several years ago. When the fire department left, it was still burning! They said it was not a danger, but because of the size of the logs, it would burn for several more days. It smoldered for an entire week! They used one of my photos in the local paper that carried a story about the house. 

Today’s entree sounds delicious, not sure about the drink, will definitely skip the wine.

Haven’t been to today’s port, looking forward to pictures.

Prayers for the many on our care list in need of healing 🙏. And a toast to all the celebrations 🎉🍷🎉.

AB244918-3F73-4B60-9E7C-9F21C010151D.jpeg

33703F18-C238-4196-B5EE-070B4D52F7FC.jpeg

686D0BFE-2ECC-46C5-85DB-FB7C6ECB9FFD.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Hakodate is in my plans for next year, on Celebrity. It remains to be seen whether Japan will allow tourism even 10 months from now. The last I heard, only 6% of people there were vaccinated and very little progress was being made.

• Like 13

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Love log cabins; they are very cosy with their big beams and welcoming fireplaces.  The most amazing one we've seen was in Montana near Flathead Lake - it wasn't a log cabin, it was a log mansion!  I've had catfish, and couldn't see anything special about it, but if it's your thing . . .   Food trucks are becoming more prevalent here on the "frozen tundra" with many different offerings for various palates.  They aren't cheap, but they're fun to try!

Marshall McLuhan was right - case in point: Voice of Fire which the National Gallery of Canada purchased for the ridiculous sum of 1.8 million.

1295001557_VoiceofFire.jpg.53bd1744f1e79ae15abbb564e5453251.jpg

I'd like to try the drink of the day, but don't have all the ingredients - that will have to wait till we're on one of the BHB's.

I'm copying and printing out the recipe for Lemonade Chicken and will take out some chicken breasts to use with it.  They won't be cooked until at least tomorrow, but it's certainly something I'm going to try.  Unfortunately I didn't get to the grocery store yesterday, so yesterday's salmon dish will have to wait for another day.   Tonight is pizza night at our house, and it's my turn - I'll have to check the menu and see if there's something different we can try for dinner.  Now that we're in the throes of summer, we'll be enjoying it while listening to the birds and the sound of the fountain as we sit on our deck.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Surfside, and for the families of the 715 bodies discovered in unmarked graves in my province - victims of Canada's residential schools.  Raising our glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your masks when you need to.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on National Catfish Day but salute Log Cabins.  I think Food Trucks are one of the few businesses that have done well in the pandemic.  Hakodate is another Japanese port I have not visited.  Love the McLuhan quote.  I think I'll pass on the alternate menu suggestion and go with Grilled Lemonade Chicken.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Western wildfires

JazzyV awaiting eye surgery

Kakalina awaiting radiation for aggressive cancer

Sam’s continuing headaches

Surfside, Florida

From the rotation:
Wandb’s sister undergoing agressive chemo
Cruising-along’s cousin rejecting a kidney
bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Laseyv and son in Sedonia for a week

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

Family visiting highland cruiser

StLouisCruiser back in St. Louis for soccer tournament

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

cunnorl’s niece visiting

second jab for erewhon DH

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, thank you for the two lists

• Like 9