Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

5 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Apparently, Princess don’t download your personnel information into the app until after you make final payment.  You can try and used the “Link My Booking” if you want to wait for a very long time. 

Not true.  Any booking should be accessible using the App within 2 days.  Never use Link My Booking option... if has bo valid function for guests.  Unless sone big change has been made. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not true.  Any booking should be accessible using the App within 2 days.  Never use Link My Booking option... if has bo valid function for guests.  Unless sone big change has been made. 

Yes ........ the operative phrase for Princess is "should be".  LOTS of things 'should be' but they aren't, and the pax just wait until Princess makes them available.  I'm still waiting for 'everything' on the app to be available in my stateroom TV ... my DH doesn't use a cell phone ... still have a couple of days to go, so it 'should be' all on there pretty soon.  

My problem is I have no trouble at home accessing the app but when I got on the ship (Enchanted) in December, app would not load, 5 techs tried to fix it on the ship but to no avail shaking their heads and saying it's probably your phone.  When returning to Ft. Lauderdale tried it and no problem signing in and even funnier was on the Enchanted in November and had no trouble at all with the app!!!!

Went to the Medallion app on my phone to complete the process and it would not load.  The circle kept spinning and spinning for quite a long time - 5 minutes for an app to load is, to me, a long time.

Any ideas out here?  I cruise on the 21st of this month on Discovery.

Donna

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

Went to the Medallion app on my phone to complete the process and it would not load.  The circle kept spinning and spinning for quite a long time - 5 minutes for an app to load is, to me, a long time.

Donna

It could well simply be your phone. The app works quite well on my phone but not well at all on my wife's phone. Pretty much everything works better on my phone than on hers. Processor speed, storage space, and RAM make a difference.

Make sure you have the most up to date version of the app. There is no need to uninstall before upgrading. I would also suggest clearing the cache on your phone but won't attempt to tell you how to do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Donna

I gave up after 20 minutes. The circle just kept spinning. 

Thank you both for your responses.  I had been able to start entering  data about a month ago but got interrupted and just finally got back to trying to finish to no avail!  I think I'll wait till I get to the pier on the 21st and let them do it for me.

Donna

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Thank you both for your responses.  I had been able to start entering  data about a month ago but got interrupted and just finally got back to trying to finish to no avail!  I think I'll wait till I get to the pier on the 21st and let them do it for me.

Donna

I certainly wouldn't let the stupid thing make you crazy! If it won't work for you then you have made the correct decision. Let them take care of things at the port. As long as you have all your documents in order it will likely cost you an extra 10 minutes at most. Dealing with technology that doesn't work for you is not good for your mental health. Relax and don't worry about it. Being stressed out is no way to start a vacation. (That's what the airlines are for!)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I certainly wouldn't let the stupid thing make you crazy! If it won't work for you then you have made the correct decision. Let them take care of things at the port. As long as you have all your documents in order it will likely cost you an extra 10 minutes at most. Dealing with technology that doesn't work for you is not good for your mental health. Relax and don't worry about it. Being stressed out is no way to start a vacation. (That's what the airlines are for!)

Well said.😀  What get me is Princess had over a year or two to fix all these issues with there App and we are still having problems.  Same with booking a cruise online.  Princess needs to wake up and start running an efficient business.  This all started after Covid.

49 minutes ago, travmagic said:

I have the app on my phone. Should my husband have it too?

I have the app on my phone. I'm able to do all that's needed for both of us in my app. My husband is so smart in so many areas, but phone technology is not one of them. 😊

5 hours ago, travmagic said:

I have the app on my phone. Should my husband have it too?

If your husband is phone-savvy, it's kinda fun onboard.  You can find each other with the app.  As for the never-ending issues with Medallion, the peeps at the Internet Cafe fix it, and fix it again and fix it again.  The first two days of our cruise there were at least a dozen techies available to straighten things out at all hours.  I never waited more than ten minutes and in a couple of days both my phone and my laptop worked fine.  The internet on my laptop comes and goes, but it works pretty well as long as you have patience.  When cruising Princess, a sense of humor is very helpful.  I was at a presentation this afternoon by the Captain's wife and a waiter appeared with drinks on a tray to deliver to someone in the audience.  She never missed a beat, and the waiter was able to walk right up to the proper people.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:25 AM, GeorgesGal said:

Donna

If you're using an Android phone, go to settings...apps, tap on the medallion app, and tap and confirm 'force stop'.  In my case on our recent cruise, it always worked fine after that.  Any time it hung, no matter where in the app, I didn't waste time looking at the spinning circle if it was more than maybe 10-15 seconds.  They seemed to have designed it to not shut down when you use the back button to exit, so instead of getting a fresh start when you return to the app, it keeps all the glitches it has accumulated since it was last shut down.  It's a buggy app, but has some handy features (finding travel companions), just too bad it's not more reliable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flyinby said:

If you're using an Android phone, go to settings...apps, tap on the medallion app, and tap and confirm 'force stop'.  In my case on our recent cruise, it always worked fine after that.  Any time it hung, no matter where in the app, I didn't waste time looking at the spinning circle if it was more than maybe 10-15 seconds.  They seemed to have designed it to not shut down when you use the back button to exit, so instead of getting a fresh start when you return to the app, it keeps all the glitches it has accumulated since it was last shut down.  It's a buggy app, but has some handy features (finding travel companions), just too bad it's not more reliable.

Wish I had read this 2 weeks ago!  The app is indeed full of handy features and fun to use when it works.  Many of us would be terrified of choosing 'Force Stop' on an app.  This is super-good advice for any app that's behaving stupidly.  Thank you!

Edited by jsn55
clause
  • Like 2

After hearing about the charge to mail the medallions, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they will mail it to me at no charge.  I am getting only the medallions and lanyards.  If I recall correctly, it seems like there was a message that if I had ordered accessories then there would have been a delivery charge.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:02 PM, ATL_Miami_Cruiser said:

iOS Medallion app version 4.8 is now available. Not sure what this version fixed or changed, but before you update take screenshots of all of your dining selections and anything else that's important in case anything goes missing!

IMG_4654.jpg

Mine updated a couple days ago.  I haven’t noticed any differences.  But I’m not likely to unless something stops working. 

13 hours ago, damiross said:

After hearing about the charge to mail the medallions, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they will mail it to me at no charge.  I am getting only the medallions and lanyards.  If I recall correctly, it seems like there was a message that if I had ordered accessories then there would have been a delivery charge.

When does your cruise sail? We sail on 19 March 2023 and I am expecting our medallions to be mailed to us. Isn't the change to Princess' policy for cruises booked after a certain date (Decemeber 2022?)?

Doug

On 6/16/2021 at 8:23 AM, mtnesterz said:

There is also the OceanView channel on Roku or use this link: https://oceanview.ocean.com/

There, you will find videos on how to use Ocean Medallion, that is, if the app works. There is a lot of frustration with OM.  I called that number and their instruction was, "Do you have a grandchild to help you?" Hope your experience is better than mine.

This is hilarious!  And exactly what I would expect from Princess.  We returned yesterday from Royal Princess to Hawaii.  The medallion worked to open your door, to check your onboard account, and to order goodies delivered to you.  You could make dining reservations fairly easily, but they got screwed up.  Perusing the evening's menu required scrolling through 25 pages of wine list ... IF you could get the right page to load.  After 9 days, the events' listings on Journeyview finally worked on my phone, but they had no descriptions and required scrolling up, down and around forever.  That was the extent of the medallion use.  It was my understanding that 'all the info' was on your stateroom TV'.  All the info on our TV was to offer a video on how to use the medallion.  

I just finished a survey from Princess.  They did NOT ask about the medallion use at all.  Unbelievable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

This is hilarious!  And exactly what I would expect from Princess.  We returned yesterday from Royal Princess to Hawaii.  The medallion worked to open your door, to check your onboard account, and to order goodies delivered to you.  You could make dining reservations fairly easily, but they got screwed up.  Perusing the evening's menu required scrolling through 25 pages of wine list ... IF you could get the right page to load.  After 9 days, the events' listings on Journeyview finally worked on my phone, but they had no descriptions and required scrolling up, down and around forever.  That was the extent of the medallion use.  It was my understanding that 'all the info' was on your stateroom TV'.  All the info on our TV was to offer a video on how to use the medallion.  

I just finished a survey from Princess.  They did NOT ask about the medallion use at all.  Unbelievable.  

The Medallion opens the door. It has nothing to do with the app. The menus are listed on the TV and it works quite well. No need to fiddle with the app for that. Journey view is a joke. Scrolling up and down and back and forth is horrible. I don't use it. Instead, I use the "old" method. I open a web browser and enter "shipname".princess.com -- ruby.princess.com - royal.princess.com - etc. That give the "old style" listing of the day's events. Much easier to use as it's pretty much a simple list and you only have to scroll up or down. Very simple to see what's going on that day. You keep referencing your use of the Medallion rather than referencing the Medallion App. They are two different things.

You state that the only thing the TV offers is a video on how to use the Medallion. I submit that you didn't look through the offerings on the TV because there is a LOT of stuff available there. The Room Service menu is extremely helpful as are the menu listings. If you don't use it properly I can understand why you didn't have success. I don't mean to sound arrogant or crabby but it definitely seems to me that much of your issue with the TV was improper usage and, again, the Medallion is a totally different subject than the Medallion App. We sailed on Royal in May and on Ruby in December and the Medallion worked pretty well. The Medallion App worked much better for me in December than it did it May. In May it was "not too bad" and mostly worked as advertised. In December I don't think I had a single issue with the App and was quite pleased with the offerings on the TV.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

The Medallion opens the door. It has nothing to do with the app. The menus are listed on the TV and it works quite well. No need to fiddle with the app for that. Journey view is a joke. Scrolling up and down and back and forth is horrible. I don't use it. Instead, I use the "old" method. I open a web browser and enter "shipname".princess.com -- ruby.princess.com - royal.princess.com - etc. That give the "old style" listing of the day's events. Much easier to use as it's pretty much a simple list and you only have to scroll up or down. Very simple to see what's going on that day. You keep referencing your use of the Medallion rather than referencing the Medallion App. They are two different things.

You state that the only thing the TV offers is a video on how to use the Medallion. I submit that you didn't look through the offerings on the TV because there is a LOT of stuff available there. The Room Service menu is extremely helpful as are the menu listings. If you don't use it properly I can understand why you didn't have success. I don't mean to sound arrogant or crabby but it definitely seems to me that much of your issue with the TV was improper usage and, again, the Medallion is a totally different subject than the Medallion App. We sailed on Royal in May and on Ruby in December and the Medallion worked pretty well. The Medallion App worked much better for me in December than it did it May. In May it was "not too bad" and mostly worked as advertised. In December I don't think I had a single issue with the App and was quite pleased with the offerings on the TV.

Since I have no trouble using a computer, I should have no trouble looking for info on a cabin TV.  If I spend an hour of concentrated effort to access every bit of info on my cabin TV, then the presentation is wrong.   I'm the pax, I should not need any kind of tutoring to use Princess system.  What you've stated is all true ... and you're illustrating my whole point perfectly.  Pax should not have to come up with 'workarounds' to achieve their goals.  Pax should not have to be concerned about the difference between the medallion and the medallion app.  Pax should not be forced to use an app if they are unfamiliar with their phone.  Actually, pax should not be forced to do anything on a cruise, the cruise is supposed to take care of the pax.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Journey view is a joke. Scrolling up and down and back and forth is horrible. I don't use it. Instead, I use the "old" method. I open a web browser and enter "shipname".princess.com -- ruby.princess.com - royal.princess.com - etc. That give the "old style" listing of the day's events. Much easier to use as it's pretty much a simple list and you only have to scroll up or down. Very simple to see what's going on that day.

(scribble, scribble, scribble).  Making a note of this for future reference.  The Journey view didn't work for me at all on my last Princess cruise on the Majestic in April.  What you've said will help me on my next Princess cruise in three months.  Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

When does your cruise sail? We sail on 19 March 2023 and I am expecting our medallions to be mailed to us. Isn't the change to Princess' policy for cruises booked after a certain date (Decemeber 2022?)?

Doug

April 2023.  We booked about a week before the prices increased.

1 hour ago, damiross said:

April 2023.  We booked about a week before the prices increased.

We booked around 1 November 2022 for our 19 March 2023 cruise. Final payment was around 20 December 2022. So i d think the medallions will be mailed to us. If not, no biggie.

Doug