The Daily for Monday Jun 28, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning.

I was up and out of the house grocery shopping just after 8:00 a.m.  It was good to beat the crowds and the heat of the day.

We have visited Half Moon Cay several different times.  I will try and find photos that are different than those already shared.

Loading the tenders with supplies for the day.  November 2013.

No photo description available.

Westerdam.  2013

Val

• Like 22

33 minutes ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Good Morning.

I was up and out of the house grocery shopping just after 8:00 a.m.  It was good to beat the crowds and the heat of the day.

We have visited Half Moon Cay several different times.  I will try and find photos that are different than those already shared.

Loading the tenders with supplies for the day.  November 2013.

Westerdam.  2013

Val

Those are serious looking wheels!

• Like 6

We are in Westport, WA, today and there is hope for the heat-wave to break soon. It didn't feel like the air cooled much last night, but a few minutes ago a marine layer blew in and the temps dropped about ten degrees in ten minutes. I know that it is still quite hot inland, but it has gone from 100 degrees yesterday down to just 70 degrees 24 hours later.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Tulsa speaks to Baltimore

"Don't give me any of that old rot

That without humidity, hot is not hot.

Really the difference isn't so wide

How would you rather be - steamed or fried?"

From the Saturday Evening Post of many, many years ago - 1940's maybe?

Anyway, I feel for all of you in the PNW..... I just can not imagine how miserable it is. I do remember how miserable I used to be Baltimore summers and that was when I was a lot younger and could take the heat better. Hope it breaks soon for you.

As usual, Durango is out of sync with the national weather. We are fairly cool with highs in the high 70's... was mid 40s this morning when I walked. It will get hot again and I do not have ac so I am not looking forward to it.

Strange combination of days today. Insurance is so important and varies so widely. I too worked for an insurance company at one time. Speak about one thing in my life I did not want to do forever.  My long-term health care policy cost is about to go up.... way up. I need to do some reviewing since they have given me some options other than just continuing on the the new premium. One more thing to worry with this summer. As to piercings.... I am in the no piercing group, not even the ears. I used to tell my students (when asked) to think twice as it was hard enough to get a job at that time without giving themselves any handicap of facial piercings. Of course now times have changed.

Susan

It's pretty miserable because unlike the desert cities, we're dealing with dew points in the 60's on top of it.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HAL4NOW said:

We are in Westport, WA, today and there is hope for the heat-wave to break soon. It didn't feel like the air cooled much last night, but a few minutes ago a marine layer blew in and the temps dropped about ten degrees in ten minutes. I know that it is still quite hot inland, but it has gone from 100 degrees yesterday down to just 70 degrees 24 hours later.

There is a sudden breeze here, now.  It is just moving the hot air around, but maybe things will change soon!

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, VintageGeo said:

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily and our entertainment and education each day. 

As always, prayers for those with a need, and cheers to those with a cause.

Much sympathy to those dealing with the extreme temps. Stay safe and hydrated, please.

We've been to HMC twice, and look forward to more visits to come. It is a favorite place for two who are not exactly beach bunnies.

A.thumb.JPG.ab31f63d52d5994e66d1c2161b6751cd.JPG

B.thumb.JPG.f4efb34a7b6f91bf0dc71b67b51e7164.JPG

Bonefish Lagoon

C.thumb.JPG.1123cac7948935056fa4e63a44c1a365.JPG

Oosterdam and Eurodam

D.thumb.JPG.2000ce4a521d0863410244985154c6c3.JPG

Everyone stay safe and healthy and have a great week!

Lori & George

Thank you.  

I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach from it.  Maybe I'm not drinking enough water.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Morning from toasty Washington state!  I haven't been on much the past 2 weeks, so just catching up.  It was 109-112 yesterday, we live in Eastern Washington and are used to warm summers but this heat has been bad as it is not cooling off at night and was hitting 90 at 8:30am today.  I have been running the swamp cooler and fans in the barn until midnight to keep the critters comfortable.  

Keeping sprinklers going in the chicken area to keep it a bit cooler, the ducks are loving the puddles!

I love fried pickles but have never thought about putting them in a po'boy..........will have to think about this when it is cooler!  It has made me crave a shrimp bo'boy for dinner, but not sure I want to go to the store in this heat!

Take care those of you affected by this heat, be sure to check on your neighbors!

Denise

Hi Denise.  Just over the pass from you in Issaquah.  My cat is doing way better than me, even with his fur coat on, but I read cats have a lot of built in coping due to being bred from desert animals.  

It's our last day of it though, even tonight is going to be slightly cooler than last night even though we'll be around 112 as well. 

• Like 8

Just now, puppycanducruise said:

Stay hydrated and don't work too hard (if that's possible).

Actually I have permission to only work as half day, but I'm going to go as long as I can, I'm salary so it doesn't really matter.

• Like 6

I'm doing screen shots of all the weather updates so when it's snowing or 20 degrees outside I can remind myself of this mess.  Technically it's an unfair comparison, they are calling this a once in a thousand year weather event, but still.

• Like 11

Good afternoon. I just popped in for a quick boo, but the pictures of HMC have put a smile on my face! My sister, who is a Disney cruise snob, finally did a Carnival cruise one year with her family and her inlaws and friends. She didn't want to, but when they stopped at HMC, she was over the moon! Finally, she believed what I had been telling her!

Thanks to everyone for their input, pictures and stories!

5 hours ago, superoma said:

Most travel insurance plans are written and provide coverage, based on Government TRAVEL ADVISORIES and not around border restrictions. 

*It's very important to understand the difference between travel advisories and border restrictions when purchasing any travel medical policy - they are NOT the same thing. 

Please remember to review the advisories before any trip or insurance purchase.  The travel advisories can be found at: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories.

Example: Cruise lines are starting to set sail out of the USA; however, there's still a current Government travel advisory (June 21, 2021) stating that you should avoid ALL CRUISE SHIP TRAVEL. This means that most of your travel insurance plans will not cover you while you cruise at this time.

My TA and I were just having this conversation an hour ago.  Fingers crossed that as cruising ramps up the travel advisory will be lifted. I'm so looking forward to reports as people are cruising!

Like everywhere else, SW Ontario is hot, and my AC is getting a workout. These are the only days that I would choose a cold beer but the hard ciders do an even better job in my book. Tempt 9 is my drink of choice in the summer, and when I discovered it on the ship I was very 😄

Prayers for those who need it, and cheers to everyone else.

Stay cool and stay safe! Blessings to all!

• Like 17

I really wish I could "like" HMC, but our only time there we were denied entry to the beach area because the Carnival ship which arrived before us had "priority" and it was reserved for that ship only!!   Really left a bad taste in our mouth.  🤬  Back on the Nieuw Amsterdam, the staff claimed they had not been notified of this prior to our visit.

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 3

I'm glad to hear that some breezes will be coming our way.  The air has been absolutely still, making this heat even worse.  

Just heard from DD that the x-rays showed DGS isn't healed enough yet so will have to have a new cast for another 2 weeks.  I feel so bad for him, and this is the first time he's been upset about it since he broke his arm a month ago. They'd been planning a beach get-away today to get out of this heat too.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Good afternoon. I just popped in for a quick boo, but the pictures of HMC have put a smile on my face! My sister, who is a Disney cruise snob, finally did a Carnival cruise one year with her family and her inlaws and friends. She didn't want to, but when they stopped at HMC, she was over the moon! Finally, she believed what I had been telling her!

Thanks to everyone for their input, pictures and stories!

My TA and I were just having this conversation an hour ago.  Fingers crossed that as cruising ramps up the travel advisory will be lifted. I'm so looking forward to reports as people are cruising!

Like everywhere else, SW Ontario is hot, and my AC is getting a workout. These are the only days that I would choose a cold beer but the hard ciders do an even better job in my book. Rekorderlig is my drink of choice in the summer, and when I discovered it on the ship I was very 😄

Prayers for those who need it, and cheers to everyone else.

Stay cool and stay safe! Blessings to all!

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 6

We’ve had the opportunity to visit beautiful Half Moon Cay on five Caribbean HAL cruises.  One we couldn’t get in, due to rough seas, and another made up for that, as it was a Collecters cruise, and we got to go there twice!

• Like 8