Canceled flights...what are you planning for any in 2021?

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which, of course, can also be subject to cancellation.

For the time being, we are doing most of our travel by car - as it is less subject to the present uncertainties.  We have done a couple of flight trips recently, but as we have options we see that picking the ones where we have the most control to make the most sense.

We hear what you say and are currently finishing up a driving vacation.  But the realities of international travel (our passion) generally requires air travel and dealing with the constantly changing COVID-related rules.  Sitting back for another couple of years (or possibly longer) and hoping that COVID will be brought under worldwide control (very unlikely) is not in our DNA.  We simply view the current situation as a challenge which, as independent travelers, is nothing new.  

I also have some personal motives.  Travel has been an important part of our lives for over 50 years and we want to show our support for the industry by helping them dig out of the great COVID hole.  Last winter I made a personal vow to show support for one of the first countries to make an effort to open up to safe tourism.  Greece quickly answered that call and, once we realized that their government had moved from the constant pessimism seen by many other governments to a very positive attitude (emphasized with positive action) we booked.  We have also continued to show our support for Mexico which has managed to remain open to tourism while also implementing many common sense (and some not so common sense) COVID mitigation measures.  We continue to have the utmost respect for those that choose to remain locked down/restricted but that is not our personal style.

Hank

I believe that COVID will be in the rear view mirror in well under the “…couple of years (or possibly longer)…” you mentioned.   Plagues simply do not last that many years - particularly ones for which very effective vaccines have been developed.  

What the real problem is for the next few months is the travel systems:  cruise lines and airlines - to get back on their feet.  I am not in such a great hurry (particularly when I have equally attractive alternatives) that I have  to put up with the chaos currently involved in the restart of air and ship travel - other than what is actually necessary.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Well, I don't know where the $2 savings is, but my savings on my latest flight between all carriers was $250pp. That doesn't even include the $35-$50 bag fees. It was almost $1,000 savings 1-way using SWA. 

Personally, I hate flying Southwest. I can't remember the last time they had a direct flight for where I wanted to go. You can be as friendly as you want, but that is not the "service" I want. They are almost always overpriced. I hate having to battle with everyone to not get only middle seats. I will not fall for their marketing of "free baggage" on flights that cost more money. Southwest is great if you have the need to change your flights often or feel like you got something free. Not for me.

I apparently spin the wheel of doom when I fly. 90% of my flights are AA, Spirit, and Frontier. For where I go, I am often able to get round-trip domestic flights on these carriers for about $160, baggage included. I'm lucky if I can get one-way on Southwest for $160. I've had 1 flight delay by 2 hours in the last 20 flights. Guess I've been lucky.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Personally, I hate flying Southwest. I can't remember the last time they had a direct flight for where I wanted to go. You can be as friendly as you want, but that is not the "service" I want. They are almost always overpriced. I hate having to battle with everyone to not get only middle seats. I will not fall for their marketing of "free baggage" on flights that cost more money. Southwest is great if you have the need to change your flights often or feel like you got something free. Not for me.

I apparently spin the wheel of doom when I fly. 90% of my flights are AA, Spirit, and Frontier. For where I go, I am often able to get round-trip domestic flights on these carriers for about $160, baggage included. I'm lucky if I can get one-way on Southwest for $160. I've had 1 flight delay by 2 hours in the last 20 flights. Guess I've been lucky.

Where have you RECENTLY flown to/from - round trip - baggage included - “for about $160, baggage included”?  Recently I have found fares have been much higher than ever in the past.(NY to California, or Chicago or Florida).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I look for the least expensive flights and don't really care which airline. If you can fly with flexible dates, you can save quite a bit. For me and my family, our travel is fairly strict on specific dates, especially for cruises. We do not have a major airport where we are, but there a many direct flight routes. Frontier, Spirit, etc fly something like every other day and limited times. If they have a delay or cancelation, it can be days with them. Just randomly looking at the cheaper airlines, their best rates are usually Tues - Thurs. That is great if you are retired and have no commitments. I do envy those that have that advantage. I cannot wait to be able to enjoy those times as well.

15 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I will not fall for their marketing of "free baggage" on flights that cost more money.

Where on Earth are you flying that Southwest is MORE expensive? On every trip I've ever taken, the roundtrip Southwest fare has always been roughly equal to half the total cost of a roundtrip fare on any other non-budget airline. And I always book nonstop Southwest flights, which are almost never available from any other airline for anywhere I want to go. 

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Where have you RECENTLY flown to/from - round trip - baggage included - “for about $160, baggage included”?  Recently I have found fares have been much higher than ever in the past.(NY to California, or Chicago or Florida).

3 out of my 4 trips to Florida in the last 4 months have been under $160. For even more recent, my flight tomorrow is $150, purchased about 3 weeks ago, and the timing was everything we wanted. One of the flights we booked kind of late, and paid about $230. I can assure you, Southwest was far more expensive.

3 hours ago, agp_mzk said:

Where on Earth are you flying that Southwest is MORE expensive? On every trip I've ever taken, the roundtrip Southwest fare has always been roughly equal to half the total cost of a roundtrip fare on any other non-budget airline. And I always book nonstop Southwest flights, which are almost never available from any other airline for anywhere I want to go. 

I assume you're flying out of ATL, which as one of the biggest airports in the world, has quite a bit of options. Also, if you're going to compare flights to like Delta and United, yup, you're going to find cheaper. As a rule, Southwest is not cheaper than the budget airlines.

I frequent Florida more than anywhere else combined at the moment. I like my flight to be somewhere between the hours of 8-2pm and direct. It is virtually impossible to get that route here on Southwest as it is. Even harder to get something reasonably priced. 

5 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I look for the least expensive flights and don't really care which airline. If you can fly with flexible dates, you can save quite a bit. For me and my family, our travel is fairly strict on specific dates, especially for cruises. We do not have a major airport where we are, but there a many direct flight routes. Frontier, Spirit, etc fly something like every other day and limited times. If they have a delay or cancelation, it can be days with them. Just randomly looking at the cheaper airlines, their best rates are usually Tues - Thurs. That is great if you are retired and have no commitments. I do envy those that have that advantage. I cannot wait to be able to enjoy those times as well.

So, this is REALLY BAD advice. 

The pandemic has shown that, with airlines in particular, you often “get what you pay for.” And this is especially true when it comes to things you may not have considered like when the schedule “poop hits the fan” enroute on an intercontinental itinerary and you need REAL customer service.

I’ve told the story before here. But, it’s worth repeating: I was in line for Oceania Nautica’s complimentary satellite phone calls (modified disembarkation port  in February 2020 for Covid safety) for DIY flight changes. Chatted with a retired Delta pilot and asked if they take good care of him in these situations. His reply: “I only fly United for most intercontinental routes.” To my “why?” his answer was: “They answer the phone.”

We booked a flight to Toronto.  Need to be there for a wedding in mid Oct.    If we cancel the flight credit can be used to get us to Mexico in November/December.

Hope to pick up an AC return flight Toronto-Athens direct for Sept-mid Oct in mid-late August.   Cyclades, Crete, and maybe Cyprus. If if works, fine.  If not, c'est la vie.

We do not have our hearts set on it and realize that anything could happen with covid.  This way there is no disappointment.  If we can go...bonus.  And no large amount of our money held captive by a travel vendor.

We’ve been routinely flying between MSP and PHX for the last several months on short notice. Got many flights on Delta for $48 one way and many for under $75. Normally I would get better pricing from SW but not on this route. SW is tricky with their pricing and you need to be smart about how and when to book as prices can change daily, and always check price by requesting only one ticket for best price.

Shortly before the pandemic, we flew MSP to Hawaii one way under $300.

On 7/3/2021 at 9:12 AM, Joebucks said:

I assume you're flying out of ATL, which as one of the biggest airports in the world, has quite a bit of options.

I fly out of Nashville, usually, not ATL.