Live Edge Review - July 3-10, 2021

elf426

23 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

A few have reported on the last sailing that it is was way too hot/humid to lower the IV window and because of that I change rooms from IV to a porthole for the 7/24 sailing.  Just something to keep in mind if your cruise is going to be in during a Caribbean summer; heat/humidity doesn't bother everyone.

This is accurate and their balconies aren't very deep so chairs face each others vs looking out

Is the porthole balcony less humid? Seems like you would get less breeze there since it isn't as large an opening.

30 minutes ago, RoamingRetirees said:

I think they are considered traditional balconies but have the porthole opening. 

23 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

This is accurate and their balconies aren't very deep so chairs face each others vs looking out

Yes to both comments. I saw  this cabin category on a cabin crawl on the Edge.

3 minutes ago, RoamingRetirees said:

Is the porthole balcony less humid? Seems like you would get less breeze there since it isn't as large an opening.

If you open the IV window the AC goes off.  With the port hole you can cycle between the hot balcony and ice cold stateroom.

4 minutes ago, RoamingRetirees said:

Yes, if only because when the infinite veranda "window wall" is opened, the HVAC in the room turns off. 

So the room receives no air conditioning so long as the IV is open.   Major downside, I think. 

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you open the IV window the AC goes off.  With the port hole you can cycle between the hot balcony and ice cold stateroom.

If you open the IV window and keep the folding doors closed, does cabin stay cooler?

3 minutes ago, D C said:

Yes, if only because when the infinite veranda "window wall" is opened, the HVAC in the room turns off. 

So the room receives no air conditioning so long as the IV is open.   Major downside, I think. 

We closed the doors to the room. I don't remember the air turning off, but maybe it did. I'll have to check that when we board.

Just now, nikel said:

If you open the IV window and keep the folding doors closed, does cabin stay cooler?

Yes but they're not sealing doors.  Everyone's heat/humidity tolerance is different, hearing of the heat I recalled my last cruise out of Singapore (less than 100 miles from the equator) and decided to change rooms to porthole.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nikel said:

Not at all. The cabin will heat up very quickly. Granted we were on a summer sailing and the heat and humidity was pretty intense, but the bifold doors really do nothing. In more mild conditions they may help a little but the a/c will still shut off. 

2 minutes ago, RoamingRetirees said:

We closed the doors to the room. I don't remember the air turning off, but maybe it did. I'll have to check that when we board.

AC does turn off when the IV window is lowered, it's a huge gripe that been mentioned well over 100 times here on CC.  Most ships with sliding balcony doors have AC switches which can be defeated with by placing a magnet on the AC switch but no one has been able to "hack" the IV window AC as it might not be a mechanical switch but rather electronic.

On 7/10/2021 at 5:33 PM, elf426 said:

Day 7 - clearly those two aren’t sad about it being the last day

5404AFDE-BDB7-461A-A98E-69F5D321769B.jpeg

40ECA63E-C856-4C74-86CB-0A45F1624B16.jpeg

E27503CA-4259-45A5-A144-2B37ED2F1FE6.jpeg

Celebrity always picks super super attractive people for their print material and video ads and I’m always like “where are all these people on my ship? I’m definitely not part of them.” Hahaha 

I know why they do it and don’t mind but it always gives me a chuckle.

55 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

AC does turn off when the IV window is lowered, it's a huge gripe that been mentioned well over 100 times here on CC.  Most ships with sliding balcony doors have AC switches which can be defeated with by placing a magnet on the AC switch but no one has been able to "hack" the IV window AC as it might not be a mechanical switch but rather electronic.

That has been a common feature on many cruise ships for decades 

1 hour ago, sergel02 said:

Celebrity always picks super super attractive people for their print material and video ads and I’m always like “where are all these people on my ship? I’m definitely not part of them.” Hahaha 

I know why they do it and don’t mind but it always gives me a chuckle.

That's also how I feel about travel agents that do ship tours of empty ships. Show me the martini bar four people deep or the pool deck covered in haphazardly rearranged chairs and crumpled towels! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elf426 said:

That's also how I feel about travel agents that do ship tours of empty ships. Show me the martini bar four people deep or the pool deck covered in haphazardly rearranged chairs and crumpled towels! 

Hope you don't mind me quoting you, when you were disembarking, at the FLL terminal, did you recall workers not allowing more than one bag on the escalator?  It used to be like that pre-covid but I'm curious if this is still the case as I have an early flight booked.

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Hope you don't mind me quoting you, when you were disembarking, at the FLL terminal, did you recall workers not allowing more than one bag on the escalator?  It used to be like that pre-covid but I'm curious if this is still the case as I have an early flight booked.

Do you mean per person? I don't know as I only had one rolling bag plus a backpack. We were also the first 20 people off so I didn't have much of a sample size to view.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, elf426 said:

Do you mean per person? I don't know as I only had one rolling bag plus a backpack. We were also the first 20 people off so I didn't have much of a sample size to view.

Yes, one bag per person.  Thanks for replying.

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I always have a large suitcase plus a rolling carryon. We never use the elevators.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, George C said:

That has been a common feature on many cruise ships for decades 

Not quite.

On a "normal" ship, once you go out on the balcony and close the slider behind you, the HVAC turns back on.  One person can be in the conditioned room, and another on the balcony. The HVAC doesn't care.

With an infinite veranda, the HVAC is off any time the exterior balcony-window thing is lowered.  Close the bifold separator between the room and balcony and it doesn't matter. No HVAC in the room until the IV is closed.  If one person wants to be on the balcony, the person in the room can't have HVAC.  

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

@GeorgeCI saw you got your move up bid accepted.  Was Celebrity still giving the monogramed robes to upper level suite guests?

Didn’t check the monogram but did get the robes also pajamas, will have to check for that on our summit royal suite in February, robes are nice but too small for me. All the other perks were there. 

On 7/11/2021 at 1:04 PM, George C said:

I was either eating in Luminae or specialty restaurants, did see people in shorts in specialty and T-shirt and baseball caps. Did see baseball caps in Luminae although did not see any baseballs or bats.

LOL

On 7/8/2021 at 11:55 AM, cosmo1027 said:

Can anyone onboard tell me if there are any IPA beers available?  Thank you!!  We are sailing July 24th.

Haven’t finished reading this thread yet, so not sure if you got your answer. We were on this sailing. Although there was an IPA on the menu, sadly, there were none to be found onboard. Often the beer they did have was only  sort of cold. 

On 7/8/2021 at 4:18 PM, elf426 said:

Hi cosmo, I know for a fact there is Goose Island IPA on magic carpet. Don’t drink it personally but they were uncasing some while I was up there earlier this week.

They must have hidden the rest. When I asked for IPA there, they brought me Blue Moon…

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Beba-Beba said:

@lola2013

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

1axl.jpg

Celebrity Edge Cabin # 8313,  Category 1A - Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Veranda

9BFB2483-5737-4948-8CB8-618DFFFAC2CD.jpe

Thanks...I also found a picture of my cabin, 8315, on ShipMate...it's not the SV that I love, but I'll be on a ship!!!  

• Like 2