The Daily for Sunday Jul 04, 2021

richwmn

Good morning everybody.  Happy 4th.  

I finally got downtown got to do my banking and then stayed the night for a little staycation.  I did more walking in one 24 hour period than the last 6 months combined so I'm worn out.  I even slept an hour later which is very unusual for me.  Hope my coffee kicks in soon.

Thanks to all the listers and thoughts to all that need them.  

I have yet to hear a single firework, thank God, it worries me with everything so dry around here.  While the heatwave is over, the warm sunny days continue. When they do go off they don't seem to bother my cat.  Perhaps this evening.

Have a great holiday everyone!

• Like 23

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Happy Independence Day , America.

we lost the appeal with Kessler to extend Sam’s stay, and are now being informed that since none of the facilities we are looking at are open over the weekend, something we weren’t informed about, we are responsible for paying $1874 per day to Kessler until the admissions people return to work on Tuesday.  We were told that Kessler would be open over the weekend and assumed that would be the case for admissions at the facilities we asked them to look into. Last night was the first time they used the term skilled nursing facility rather than sub acute facility and I’m not sure of the difference.  My daughter signed her last email to the social worker supervisor with her full name, title, and law firm to which she is senior counsel. We have a copy of the emails back and forth and if necessary, will wind up taking legal action, not something any of us want to do.

On the bright side, Sam continues to improve every day. Yesterday he walked 60:feet without the walker. He can dress and undress himself, and use the toilet facilities on his own. His speech and memory are good, and I am afraid he will have surpassed the medical needs of sub acute and will come home on Tuesday and I will  be left scrambling to find an agency and an aide. 

And so this saga continues. I am worn out by what feels like a battle to get him the appropriate care. Sorry for so much complaining.

Carol

Glad Sam is doing much better but I am terribly sorry that you are having to undergo all this added stress in order to get him care. Feel free to complain, howl and vent away. We fully understand.

Susan

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Good Morning Dailyites! Wishing everyone a terrific Independence Day.

Here in Central VA, we are experiencing (touch wood) incredibly good weather for this time of year: temps in the 80s and low-ish humidity. DH loves it because it means multiple burgers for dinner evenings, LOL. I try to change it up a little with ground chicken in addition to traditional beef burgers. We have even tried Beyond Meat burgers and were pleasantly surprised.

During the day, we will visit our town’s main park that has scheduled patriotic events by our local Sons of the American Revolution chapter. Our Congresswoman will be there too (we are at the outer reaches of her 10-county district). After dinner, we will watch the DC fireworks on TV. When we lived in the suburbs of Washington and things were more accessible, we spent many a Memorial Day/4th of July down on the Mall with friends, enjoying a picnic before the shows. 

@mamaofami Carole, please, you are not complaining. As a member of your ‘Daily Family,’ I am astounded at how well you have handled recent events. And I am sure that I am not alone. Your daughter and son-in-law are advocating for you now and always. Your strength of character is breathtaking. And we here on CC are cheering you on during this difficult time. Please continue to share your progress.

Thank you so much for this reply. One correction, it’s my daughter and my son, not son in law, who are doing so much to move this situation along.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Carol (mamaofami) I'm so sorry things with Kessler didn't work out.  I wish that I could help.  Like others here, I totally understand what you are going thru.  And I am sad that you have to deal with this very tough situation.

Charles.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday. Happy 4th of July!!

AB8E7B88-B9CC-4134-AF6E-A2FD44EF780F.thumb.jpeg.ebd4f7c714bc4c7133189b6960257592.jpeg

Thank you for the Daily Rich. Great collection of days today. Thank you for the lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list. 

I have been to Bar Harbor twice and will look for pictures on the hard drive.  It’s a quaint little town and very walkable. We’ve done tours too. Acadia National Park is very pretty. 

We finally got rain last night. It was very nice. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

I hope all my US cc friends are enjoying Independence Day and the holiday weekend.

I enjoy Country music.

Nice meals,drinks and port days today.

The expected rain has not appeared and at 15.20pm it is 62°F and sunny.

We have just  had home made soup in the garden for lunch.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Graham.

IMG_20210704_150312.jpg

We called at the beach and the heavens have opened plus we have thunder and lightning.

Graham.

IMG_20210704_173103.jpg

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We called at the beach and the heavens have opened plus we have thunder and lightning.

Graham.

IMG_20210704_173103.jpg

Sounds like you have our weather 😔 

Too bad we couldn’t send it all to the dry, west coast to help with their wildfires 😢 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sounds like you have our weather 😔 

Too bad we couldn’t send it all to the dry, west coast to help with their wildfires 😢 

I agree.

Hopefully they get some rain soon.🤞

• Like 7

Yes, please send us some rain!   😁

Good morning, all, and Happy 4th of July to our American neighbours.  I actually feel quite connected with this day, as my grandmother and her ancestors were American.  

@mamaofami, I was happy to hear your DH is doing so well, but it is a worry, I'm sure, that there are problems getting a good place for him to recover more fully before he comes home.   My neighbour, Ruth, came home yesterday, a little bit too soon for her son and hubby, they were hoping for next week some time.  I put off going over to take some flowers, but later in the afternoon, DD told me there were happy sounds coming from their courtyard and they were entertaining!  So she must be doing well.  I will go over this afternoon, masked.  I would hate to take a germ of any sort, and the news mentioned that the common cold is around.

• Like 20

We were in Bar Harbor August 30, 2009 on the Eurodam.  Craig went on a hiking tour and really enjoyed it and had the camera so I don't have pictures of the Park tour I took.  After our tours we met for lunch and walked around town.  It had become quite crowded in town.

image.thumb.jpeg.42d941956eaaaabd15dbef3f2d30bcfb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a42662663e0c728011391524b0813c6a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6007c854995a290e7c10c2e9d206aec6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fac4b97a4d635ccddfbed6da9994c410.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.55a60809685d7f7cf3d6a0b78b6bfa00.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f73060495a41b024f3e9f2a3da630358.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d86ceb7944872b330a271118cb77289b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f22a454ea6d5badfe14f9c598aeaf623.jpeg

And for those who remember, I'm wearing my upholstery jacket that Craig hates:

image.thumb.jpeg.3600b5974e9c397a8ff99c9b3894cb55.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a2c6e8d5ee7775a03a87ecc5617e0070.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a511313238e9cba57c19cd2d4f197222.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.221f2f197a4f8e87a41d10bf1fdb63c9.jpeg

• Like 26

I have a cabin selection question for my Daily Family.  Vista's were not available for our Rotterdam cruise this December but my PCC was able to put in an upgrade request for one.  I just got an email that a Vista Aft View is available on Deck 4 which is above the Dining Room.  The one time we were above the Dining Room, on the Veendam, we could hear "clanking" off and on, not talking just louder noises I can only describe as clanking.  Has anyone been on a Rotterdam sister ship above the Dining Room?  Have you heard anything?

• Like 4

I understand there's a humour thread on these boards, but I thought I had to share this one with my "family".  DH and DSIL are out on the front step, trying to put together a new ceiling fan for our front entry.  A lot of silence, tools being passed back and forth, then this happens:

DSIL:  There, I think we've got it together.

DH:  But what about this piece?

DSIL:  Oh, you probably don't need that one.

I'm dying here.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 10
  • Haha 13

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. 

Happy 4th of July!

Scarecrows are fun. I like the occasional country song, but don't listen to it much.

Good quote.

Good meal, but I have no grill and it's just me so not sure what's for dinner. I like margaritas and the wine.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

I live in a suburb of the city, but their crackdown on people setting off fireworks at home, combined with a shortage of fireworks (per the news), resulted in not much keeping me awake last night, or for the whole week as in years past. I'll see how it is tonight. I'm sure pet owners and people with PTSD were pleased. 

@mamaofami Don't be sorry about posting your issues. So sorry to hear of this healthcare nightmare! Subacute care is a step down from an acute care hospital and a step up from a conventional skilled nursing facility intensity of services. I'm glad Sam is progressing so well, that's a bright spot.

@ger_77 Oh oh. Not to disparage men, but this sounds typical, lol.

@smitty34877 Thanks for the precious picture of Camilla in red, white and blue!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone, especially those in the path of storms.

• Like 16

Good afternoon.  Right now it is cloudy with a light breeze.  It has been a busy morning, as I baked a cake for the 4th of July.  It is probably about ready to be decorated.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

Hope everyone on the Daily is having a nice day today, even those on the Care List.  Tonight at DH's request, we will be having chili dogs to go with our wine and cake.  I am more of a 60-early 70s rock "n roll girl, while DH likes the 50s and 60s oldies.  (He is two years older and not a Baby Boomer.)  However, there is some country music that I like.  Compared to the music the DDs and today's young people listen to, at least with country, there is a definite rythmn and you can understand the words. 🤣

The Emerson quote is intriguing to say the least.

Some one around here spent a lot of money for the fireworks they set off last night, and we'll probably get more tonight.  Not only veterans, first responders, and dogs can be scared by the fireworks, but they terrified our younger DD when she was very little.

@smitty34877  What a cute picture of Camilla all dressed up for the holiday.

@Vict0riann  Ann, it sounds like your neighbor Ruth is doing very well.

We have been to Bar Harbor seven times by cruise ship, and once by land in 1974 when we tent camped in Acadia National Park.  In 2004, we did a roundtrip NYC to Montreal and back on the old Regal Princess, with two stops in Bar Harbor.  The rest of our visits were on the Veendam in 2013 with two b2b 14-day cruises out of Boston.  In 2019, Bar Harbor was our last stop before Boston on Veendam's TA.  I hope I'm not posting too many repeat pictures taken during all our cruise visits.

We have take Oli's Trolley tour of Acadia twice, I hope these are not repeats.IMG_3728.thumb.JPG.97e3907f148063a06ad427d22803197d.JPG

DSC00046.thumb.JPG.bcf173acd3ae21c7a20212f4a5343ade.JPG

In 2013, I booked two other tours before we left.  One was a whale watching tour that is best forgotten.  It was so rough, no one left their seats.  We should not have left the dock, and even the whales were smart enough to go someplace else.  We  got vouchers for a free whalewatching trip to be used withn three years.  We were back two weeks later, but decided to pass.  That was one day, I did not take any pictures.

On a brighter note, the previouse time, we'd booked a tour on the Lulu Lobster Boat, and that was fantastic.  We learned a lot about lobsters, Maine and wildlife.  Plus, as the pictures show, it was a sunny, calm day.

DSC00291.thumb.JPG.21528e6101f19b0a494af35151e9aae0.JPG

DSC00292.thumb.JPG.b8b77866fd224524a79148ae3f54be65.JPG

DSC00305.thumb.JPG.8f79c4c83ec04af205e4950c537964c7.JPGDSC00307.thumb.JPG.010c5f641d108829e71752efa9d4387a.JPG

DSC00309.thumb.JPG.e4258d770c4d057b26b11db27dc26805.JPG

Pictures as we sailed back to the dock.

DSC00313.thumb.JPG.fa1ff1a17835a12215fa2b7eb79b6586.JPG

DSC00314.thumb.JPG.e4c15f5385e5791fb7ff1d1b9bfb3a67.JPG

DSC00295.thumb.JPG.11148992fa91be39871e20b301748d56.JPG

Just a few pictures of our walks around this very pretty town.

DSC00025.thumb.JPG.60e0776de22f10c3f25bbf021d438aa3.JPG

DSC08472.thumb.JPG.490591d4fc9966dc01c9a59e45ed9c0f.JPG

DSC00062.thumb.JPG.9d6bcf41828b605aa58eba47c2958656.JPG

DSC08479.thumb.JPG.c271c60881b2b7309a119763f689c659.JPG

IMG_3737.thumb.JPG.02b88ff82ac504d61fde6bad8187b99f.JPG

DSC00038.thumb.JPG.8f6ead7e3a966a6afc23fd684341ccbb.JPG

In 2004, this boat was returning from a tour as our ship was getting ready to sail.

DSC00067.thumb.JPG.80ed74bd747853069dad1fdd1259d2f7.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24