Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

We drove straight to the car park and there was somebody there collecting the cases for transfer direct to the ship. I believe it is  possible to drop off the suitcases first at the terminal  then proceed to the car park, although you  may have to exit the port, go back on to the main road to access the car park.  I am sure somebody on here  who know the area better will be able to give you exact directions.   

On the return we were able to take a luggage trolley from the terminal to the car park.

35 minutes ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Jammybun, it must be really tough knowing how good Viking is but assessing the timing isn’t right for you just yet.

Thanks, yes it is.  But we've been very serious about isolating over the last 16 months and I've still not even been in a supermarket - or eaten in a restaurant - or seen our family (who live in Europe) since Christmas 2019.  Hoping that Viking will continue to cruise from the UK into the autumn, when we may be feeling more adventurous!  

I'm slightly concerned that the influx of Brits new to Viking will change the dress standards... the Americans, who in normal times outnumbered the Brits, are on the whole  much more casual than us, which is one thing that I really like.  I don't want to have to dress up for dinner!

5 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

I'm slightly concerned that the influx of Brits new to Viking will change the dress standards... the Americans, who in normal times outnumbered the Brits, are on the whole  much more casual than us, which is one thing that I really like.  I don't want to have to dress up for dinner!

Have no fear. On the 5th June sailing of Viking Venus which was exclusively British guests there was no evidence that anyone was trying to inflict a stricter dress code that they might have been accustomed to on Saga, Cunard or P&O for example.

Evening dining was "elegant" casual as Viking describes it. Trousers with a short or long sleeved collared shirt for the men and a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for the ladies. Some men did wear jackets but they were in the minority.

Jeans and sportswear are not acceptable in the Main Restaurant or Manfredi's and The Chef's Table. I think they would be allowed in the World Café which is a buffet restaurant with a more casual vibe. However I may be wrong on that. Some others might correct me accordingly.

3 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Osprey, it is really well organised and they have a really good process. You follow the signs that take to to the entry to the car park,  you are ticked off on their list and shown which way to go to park.  Once parked your bags are taken away by the porters and your car is photographed, and then you have a short walk to the port building of no more than a couple of minutes.  I am sure the porters will lift your bags out of the car and look after you.  Just ask if there is anything else you are uncertain of?

Thanks Staffordshire. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear and a load off my mind.

Jammybun, it sounds like Viking will be just right for you once you feel ok to travel because everywhere you go and eat or watch entertainment only has other people who are also double vaccinated, do not have Covid symptoms, and have had a PCR test that day that was negative.  I think if you were to share your concerns with Viking they may also be able to help allocate quiet spaces for you.  So that is all much more reassuring than visiting a High Street or a restaurant.  I note you also live in the North West, and wondered whether at some point they would offer Liverpool as am embarkation point in which case the journey would be shorter as well?  The comment on dress code is easier to solve, as aarlwood advises, smart loungewear sufficed for much of the time.

Edited by Staffordshirecruiser

Hi, does anyone know if there are plans to extend the UK cruises beyond the current schedule (the last being 21 August)?

It appears that for UK cruisers, obtaining travel insurance for cruises to other Countries is currently prohibitive.  This makes taking any other Viking cruise from Malta, Iceland etc, an impossibility till the Government lifts further restrictions.

Regards

41 minutes ago, royallondon said:

Hi, does anyone know if there are plans to extend the UK cruises beyond the current schedule (the last being 21 August)?

It appears that for UK cruisers, obtaining travel insurance for cruises to other Countries is currently prohibitive.  This makes taking any other Viking cruise from Malta, Iceland etc, an impossibility till the Government lifts further restrictions.

Regards

There has been some speculation in the cruising trade press that the current FCO “advice” against international cruising could be revised from as early as July 31. 

It is unclear whether this will be a complete removal of any advice against cruising or just to permit say the departure from a UK port, visiting international ports of call and then a return to the UK. 

Hopefully it will all be clearer over the coming week(s)

• Like 1

Hi royal london, it is certainly possible they will extend the sailings, maybe doing a circular cruise now Scotland has opened up.  Also if Americans can travel over here without quarantining.  

Hi Neil, I am watching out for any hint that FCDO will lift the advisory, but not even a hint from them yet aside from what Saga Chief Exec said. They are advised by PHE who are being ultra cautious at the moment, and I wonder if some brexit legacy issues might be at play as well?  The plan had been to allow foreign cruises out of the UK before air cruises, but who knows?

hi Tom. I wouldn’t mind staying on Star whilst she makes her way to Florida, not sure how she copes with heavy seas though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Taunton, Amelia and Ansun, I think you have all said you are new to Viking, is there anything else you would like to check with one of us who were on the Venus sailing?

That is very kind of you. I asked 2questions at post #92 which are Viking general, ie not specific in regards to the Venus sailing but perhaps you know the answers?

On 7/23/2021 at 7:08 AM, Alsun said:

Sorry, 2 more questions as we are new to Viking (tried to find answers in the new to Viking thread but it’s such a long thread …47 pages..)

Do I understand correctly there is no kettle in the room? Can we ask for one or just use room service? 

I sometimes like a swim in the morning. Do I need to change near the pool or would it be acceptable to walk in my swimsuit - covered up nicely with a “wrap around”  -  from our room (deck 4) to the pool?

Usually it’s a nespresso machine. First thing we do on checking in is ask our room steward for a kettle (and to take away the coffee machine to make more room). 

As for the pool—I always use a cover-up from my room and take the elevator that lets out closest to the spa. You also have robes in the room- and someone on CC said there are also robes in the locker rooms (but not sure about that currently). There’s a nifty swimsuit wringer in the locker room so you can use it after the pool.

Staffordshire, one of our I suppose distant neighbours we live in Derby, it is good news about the kettle.  If you come back from an excursion it is tea you want not coffee and likewise when you wake up in the morning.  Do they swap the coffee pods for teabags?

They have English Breakfast and "Black Tea' but we found the English Breakfast teabags were not always available and someone had to go and find them when we had tea onboard - although we never thought to ask for a kettle so dont know about in room experience.  I think it might be worth throwing a few of your favourite tea bags into your baggage.

My experience is only on Viking Med cruises but perhaps they have learnt how much we like our tea after completing so many England's Scenic Shore cruises.

On our recent UK cruise our room steward brought us either PGTips or Twinnings.

Room service breakfast always sent us Black tea bags which I never actually tried,substituting with what I already had.

Milk put in fridge for us or we saved some from room service breakfast.

We only discovered room service breakfast on last three days and it was a so good.Always on time .Perfect for an early excursion slot.

Don’t forget you can order tea from room service, morning, noon and night. 

We preferred to order our early morning breakfast tea when we first woke up and also as soon as we got back to our stateroom after getting back from an excursion. 

Never had to wait very long for either. 

There are obviously self service stations in various places around the ship as well as good coffee from the Living Room on level 1. 

I am wondering that, since for our August sailing, we have to go to our room after embarkation to await the results of PCR testing, does that mean we cannot make dining reservations or bookings for excursions until we are ‘released’ from our room. Embarkation times were from 8am to 12pm, them wait for test result. Can we call the appropriate department once on board ?

Edited by downsmead

1 hour ago, Alsun said:

Great news re the kettle!

The swimsuit wringer sounds quite intriguing, have to give that a try.

Thanks.

One important tip about the swimsuit wringer...be sure you have your suit really smashed in there, towards the bottom half of the machine.  I made the mistake the first time I used it of not being that careful.  Parts of my suit were near the top of the machine, and I managed to tear off a strap and put a hole in another part of the suit.  But if you're careful with placement, it works beautifully.  Have never had a problem after this first time.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:46 AM, LindaS272 said:

Usually it’s a nespresso machine. First thing we do on checking in is ask our room steward for a kettle (and to take away the coffee machine to make more room). 

As for the pool—I always use a cover-up from my room and take the elevator that lets out closest to the spa. You also have robes in the room- and someone on CC said there are also robes in the locker rooms (but not sure about that currently). There’s a nifty swimsuit wringer in the locker room so you can use it after the pool.

Alsun—I realized I was answering your pool question thinking of the spa warm pool. Not a swimmer myself, I only do lounging 🙂 .

Downsmead, we were the last on in June, once we had provided the PCR sample we were at liberty to go for lunch and wander round the ship, not sure if it were the same for those arriving earlier?  If it’s the same when you arrive, you could go and make the reservations in person. Can someone else help on this?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Downsmead, we were the last on in June, once we had provided the PCR sample we were at liberty to go for lunch and wander round the ship, not sure if it were the same for those arriving earlier?  If it’s the same when you arrive, you could go and make the reservations in person. Can someone else help on this?

Once we had given our samples and acknowledged viewing the muster drill we were free to leave our cabin.