Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

Just to let you know, Viking have readily agreed to me moving my 7 Aug cruise under their risk guarantee even though it is less than 14 days away due to our disappointment over the IOS stop.  They explained they had been trying to make the stop possible, and it was only a few days ago they decided it was not going to be possible, which unfortunately was after the 14 day point.  I have not decided yet as we are booked on a back to back with 14th, but am very pleased with their response.  😃 

• Like 3

Gosh that is good.  So much for me to think they may be trying to avoid that.  My apologies to them.   We would not actually ask for that as I have just explained although we really wanted to go there we just want to be on a ship.

I had not realised you were doing it twice so if they do cancel it on ours as well you would be doubly disappointed.  Let us know what you decide.  Did they comment about the 14th sailing

At the moment MVJ is still showing a Scilly Isles tour. Maybe the newspaper advert had it wrong? Although our 12th June cruise was supposed to do scenic cruising around the Scilly Isles which didn’t happen.

I’ll be pretty disappointed if we don’t get to Tresco but will take it as it comes, seeing this as a break from routine.

Hi All, I think I’ve solved the puzzle, The Golden Horizon is due to visit St Mary’s/IOS on 10th August. It’s a new ship (Tradewinds)which had some problems when it arrived in Dover, so it’s perfectly possible Viking were waiting to see if the owners cancelled the slot, before contacting us.  If that the case then 14 Aug cruise should be fine?

17 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi All, I think I’ve solved the puzzle, The Golden Horizon is due to visit St Mary’s/IOS on 10th August. It’s a new ship (Tradewinds)which had some problems when it arrived in Dover, so it’s perfectly possible Viking were waiting to see if the owners cancelled the slot, before contacting us.  If that the case then 14 Aug cruise should be fine?

Just checked the Tradewinds website and it appears that the Golden Horizon is calling at St Mary's on 10th August.

https://www.tradewindvoyages.com/voyage/english-south-coast-and-islands/

So theoretically a call at Tresco might have been feasible for Viking. Only issue would have been the tender provision which appears to be restricted to local island ferries rather than ships' tenders (probably due to the access to slipways/harbours). I'm guessing Tradewinds have bagged all the local ferries for their passengers

Oops - just noticed that Tresco is also an optional tour for the Golden Horizon passengers so all the above should be ignored . Apologies for the geriatric blooper

Edited by arlowood

Hi,

Another question.

Could any of you who are familiar/regular Viking sailers please  clarify something re the included wine? Is there a (limited) choice of wines or is it just one red and one white each evening?

For example, on Azamara the daily wines included a choice of 2 reds, 2 whites, a rose and a sparkling wine, plus often one or two wines from the previous day were also still available.

Am trying to work out whether it’s worth getting the drink package or just buy an occasional glass. We’re not huge drinkers but I do like a pre dinner G&T, some wine at dinner and maybe something to finish the evening. 

(I know we can bring our own alcohol on board)

On our UK cruise in June there was a different red and a different white every day, a rose was also available and as was, I believe a white sparkling.  On the whole we were very happy with the quality of these wines and found them far superior to the daily Azamara offerings.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 4:20 PM, Heidi13 said:

Viking Star has departed Skagen, after probably taking bunkers and is bound for Portsmouth. Current ETA is 5th August at 03:00.

Viking Star is heading to NAB anchorage according to Vessel  finder. Presumably waiting there until Saturday?

hope you all have safe journey to Portsmouth and a great cruise all you 7th August cruisers.  Cannot believe that it is only a week away for us.

If you have time can you drop a line on here to let us know the position of the bubble or whether we can go ashore by ourselves.

Many thanks

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alsun said:

Viking Star is heading to NAB anchorage according to Vessel  finder. Presumably waiting there until Saturday?

Looks like she had to vacate the berth for the Virgin ship Scarlet Lady.

• Like 1

Greetings from a slightly muggy Portsmouth. 

Virgin’s Scarlet Lady still in port about 9.00 this evening, no sign of the Star … 

Lots and lots of rain and heavy traffic over the last 2 days travelling from Ireland but the delays meant we happened to be in the right places at the right times to have more than acceptable food, all eaten in the car to avoid people. 

It feels weird doing stuff again after so long but I grin every time I remember I’M GOING ON A CRUISE TOMORROW. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, amelia3171 said:

Virgin’s Scarlet Lady still in port about 9.00 this evening, no sign of the Star … 

Lots and lots of rain and heavy traffic over the last 2 days travelling from Ireland but the delays meant we happened to be in the right places at the right times to have more than acceptable food, all eaten in the car to avoid people. 

It feels weird doing stuff again after so long but I grin every time I remember I’M GOING ON A CRUISE TOMORROW. 

Have fun!  And let us know how it goes.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:09 PM, Alsun said:

Hi,

Another question.

Could any of you who are familiar/regular Viking sailers please  clarify something re the included wine? Is there a (limited) choice of wines or is it just one red and one white each evening?

For example, on Azamara the daily wines included a choice of 2 reds, 2 whites, a rose and a sparkling wine, plus often one or two wines from the previous day were also still available.

Am trying to work out whether it’s worth getting the drink package or just buy an occasional glass. We’re not huge drinkers but I do like a pre dinner G&T, some wine at dinner and maybe something to finish the evening. 

(I know we can bring our own alcohol on board)

Given the amount of sea time we have bought the drinks package.  We like a pre dinner G&T, a nice wine with food and a couple of cocktails on a sea day as the world bobs past so it seemed like an investment.

Can’t have too many cocktails as I am packing my knitting and watercolours which aren’t a great mix with 🍹

• Like 2

6 hours ago, amelia3171 said:

Apparently Scarlet Lady’s sail off was delayed as testing the pax took hours (they were tested nearby before the embarkation process). Didn’t leave until close to 10 pm…

Have a great cruise!

Greeting from the Star. 

We have 197 passengers on board, the cruise director told us to enjoy our private yacht. 

Cruising is obviously the best thing ever but after the last 18 months being here is almost overwhelming.  The staff seem to be as over-joyed to be here as we are. 

The ship is literally sparkling clean. 

Boarding took about 5 minutes, only things they looked at were passports and vaccine certs. 

Lunch at the pool grill, blue cheese burger, was delicious. 

374B033F-6D98-4ED3-ACDA-2AF596434183.jpeg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Alsun said:

Apparently Scarlet Lady’s sail off was delayed as testing the pax took hours (they were tested nearby before the embarkation process). Didn’t leave until close to 10 pm…

Have a great cruise!

Some people apparently had to wait for 6 hours to get tested and board.

Hope they improve for Monday (when I'm due on!)

5 minutes for the Star sounds preferable.

1 hour ago, amelia3171 said:

Greeting from the Star. 

We have 197 passengers on board, the cruise director told us to enjoy our private yacht. 

Cruising is obviously the best thing ever but after the last 18 months being here is almost overwhelming.  The staff seem to be as over-joyed to be here as we are. 

The ship is literally sparkling clean. 

Boarding took about 5 minutes, only things they looked at were passports and vaccine certs. 

Lunch at the pool grill, blue cheese burger, was delicious. 

374B033F-6D98-4ED3-ACDA-2AF596434183.jpeg

On Venus in June we had the same reaction from the staff, one waiter said we were a “blessing “

We will be joining Star on the 14th 😄 
Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

Onboard now, as Amelia3171 has said everything is immaculate and staff so keen to be friendly and helpful. I was told that there are 300 scheduled to board next Saturday 14th on bookings so far. Some were upgraded yesterday, we were lucky, we were not told when we received our room cards etc at check in so went to designated room to find key would not work the door. A friendly room steward checked his list and told us that guest services would help us, they told us the new room number which had actually been printed on the envelope given to us at check in containing tour tickets and key card but we had not noticed the number change. All sorted out very quickly and we are very happy with the room upgrade and associated extras. We pointed out a couple of faults in the bathroom with the shower  to our steward and they have been sorted out almost immediately , very impressive.

With low guest numbers it sound as if extra visits to speciality restaurants are not a problem if desired. We very much enjoyed our first dinner in the main dining room last night, food and service were exemplary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1