Men's Haircuts

rucrazy

Just by chance can anyone relay approximate cost of a men's simple haircut using barber clippers not scissors?

(Pre pandemic pricing is acceptable just looking for a ball park price)

Thanks

Good afternoon. I am looking forward to my men’s haircut on Celebrity Equinox later next month, which I booked through the cruise planner at a price of $35 plus a $6.30 service charge. My intent, like you, is for a simple haircut using clippers not scissors.

This is the most “basic” men’s hair service I could find; if there is a more inexpensive offering, I did not locate it.

I hope this helps. Happy sailing!

• Thanks 1

It's been in that mid-$30 price range for a few years now.  They used to offer discounts for services done on port days but not sure if that's available to book in advance. 

• Like 1

Why would you wait to get a haircut on a cruise? JMHO $41.30 for a basic haircut?

Bring siccors and get a bowl from the buffet. Enjoy a drink! Tip yourself.

HAPPY CRUISING!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

If going for a basic men's cut you could also just drop by a  local barber in port.     I've done it a number of times and was not disappointed.    Even if you don't speak the language usually gestures work fine.   I've also had mine cut on the ship on a port day.    Excellent haircut but pricey.

• Like 2

In general the spa services are pricey - and much more so than on land.  More sensible to get your haircut before you go.

Mine is very easy, a zero crop all over with clippers and I do it myself - so I take my clippers with me 🙂

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

Why would you wait to get a haircut on a cruise? JMHO $41.30 for a basic haircut?

Bring siccors and get a bowl from the buffet. Enjoy a drink! Tip yourself.

HAPPY CRUISING!

Often when we are on B2B2B'sand on the ship 6 weeks we get a little shabby and need a haircut.  I agree it's expensive but like I said earlier you can grab one in port.     I guess you could bring your clilppers with you also.   We've gotten pretty good during the pandemic when barbers were closed for months in California.

• Like 1

My eyes are not wait the were so I no longer cut myself.. I refuse to impose on my husband (Just like to love him more around the holidays) … I like a double 00 setting on the clippers.. $40. isn't going to break us..

And plus I deserve a pampering.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, talljules1 said:

Mine is very easy, a zero crop all over with clippers and I do it myself - so I take my clippers with me 🙂

I wish my eyes would allow that... we used to...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

My eyes are not wait the were so I no longer cut myself.. I refuse to impose on my husband (Just like to love him more around the holidays) … I like a double 00 setting on the clippers.. $40. isn't going to break us..

OK, I need fill-ins rather than a cut! 

We were on a South Pacific 45 day cruise years ago when I had hair. I brought a rubber band and had a pony tail. Tried to make a Kung Fu movie but couldn't act. LOL

My wife pampers me. I'm sure your Husband pampers you.

Enjoy your cruise, Cut and Pampering!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdcummings said:

Good afternoon. I am looking forward to my men’s haircut on Celebrity Equinox later next month, which I booked through the cruise planner at a price of $35 plus a $6.30 service charge. My intent, like you, is for a simple haircut using clippers not scissors.

This is the most “basic” men’s hair service I could find; if there is a more inexpensive offering, I did not locate it.

I hope this helps. Happy sailing!

FYI the service charge is now 20% not 18%

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rucrazy said:

I have to admit that they do a really good job and you leave feeling pampered.   One of the best haircuts I have gotten.    I have lots of thick hair but unfortunately 3-4 cowlicks that if not cut right stick straight out.

A word of caution, gentlemen, especially US Americans. 

On a several week long trip, PapaFej needed a cut during land time between cruises. We were in Salzburg, visiting our daughter who was studying abroad. 

Normally, I clip his hair with a 2 on the sides and a 3 up top. He requested the same from the Austrian  barber, neglecting to consider that the numbers there referred to millimeters, not eighths of an inch. His hair ended up rather shorter than he had intended. 🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

A word of caution, gentlemen, especially US Americans. 

On a several week long trip, PapaFej needed a cut during land time between cruises. We were in Salzburg, visiting our daughter who was studying abroad. 

Normally, I clip his hair with a 2 on the sides and a 3 up top. He requested the same from the Austrian  barber, neglecting to consider that the numbers there referred to millimeters, not eighths of an inch. His hair ended up rather shorter than he had intended. 🤣

This reminds me of an incident a few years ago on Celebrity Eclipse. I was using gym equipment adjacent to another person. He remarked that he seemed to have lost about half his strength, judging from the weight setting on the machine as compared to his usual setting at home. I pointed out the weights (at least at that time on that ship) were in kilos instead of pounds, and we shared a good laugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Royal Caribbean used to have a barbershop on their Royal Promenade. It was pricey, and I’m sure it was part of the spa contract, but you could get a haircut, or I’d do an old fashioned shave (Gillette Fusion, not a double razor or safety razor, but a relaxing experience). It became the cupcake shop… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always try to time spacing out my haircuts so I get one just before I fly out to a cruise.  OTOH, if it works out I need one on a ship, to me, it's no big deal...especially the price.  That $40 range is NOT out of line with what a haircut costs in a lot of places where I live...and it's a major chunk less than my wife pays to get her hair done!  I'm paying thousands for a cruise, a few bucks for a haircut shouldn't be a concern.  A greater concern would be getting an appointment time that fits into my schedule.

Talking about "do it yourself" while Covid was keeping all the hair places closed, I tried doing my own...My wife was afraid to touch my hair and I don't think I'd let her--it's something she's never done in her life.  But, when my hair would get a bit shaggy, I'd cut ir mysef--over the ears, in the front, on top...BUT I really couldn't see the back of my head and I was afraid to make a mistake...So, for about 15 months, the back kept growing unchecked.  By the time the hair places re-opened, I had what  I called a "Covid Mullet"!  Short and well trimmed on the front and sides, way down my back in the rear.  Good thing  didn't go out much...I looked danged funny...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

So, for about 15 months, the back kept growing unchecked.  By the time the hair places re-opened, I had what  I called a "Covid Mullet"!  Short and well trimmed on the front and sides, way down my back in the rear.  Good thing  didn't go out much...I looked danged funny...

In California, some of the counties opened up briefly in the middle of the 15 months, and I was able to get a couple cuts in before they had to lock down again. And I had worked out a haircut to get that could grow without attention without looking bad. So I didn't get tempted to go George Clooney's route.

Cut to: "George Clooney? Is he a passenger on this ship?" (Think of Mr Ishmay on Titanic)

Edited by cardiffman