What to drink on Premium package?

Bruin Steve

18 minutes ago, jg51 said:

[OP, please forgive us for going on a little tangent here.]

Good day, "cangelmd."

We noticed that your post (quoted above) starts with a sort of one-word sentence: "This."

We have never seen or heard that expression used before (in seven decades of life)!

Is that expression short for, "This is true; we agree with you" ?

If so, do you happen to know when/where people began to say simply, "This" ?  In other words, is it a U.S. regionalism, a colloquialism that was begun in "social media," an expression from a different anglophone nation, or something else entirely?  The reason we ask is that we have had a lifetime interest [putting it mildly] in language, having studied to teach young people languages.

Thank you.

"This."

It is an expression to emphasize or to support strongly what was written.

I.E. 

"Quite simply, use your Premium drink package to try drinks you might otherwise not wish to try for fear you might not like it"

One might Quote the above sentence, with a simple "This."--to strongly agree with what the person has written.

20 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Good day, "cangelmd."

We noticed that your post (quoted above) starts with a sort of one-word sentence: "This."

We have never seen or heard that expression used before (in seven decades of life)!

If so, do you happen to know when/where people began to say simply, "This" ?  In other words, is it a U.S. regionalism, a colloquialism that was begun in "social media," an expression from a different anglophone nation, or something else entirely?  The reason we ask is that we have had a lifetime interest [putting it mildly] in language, having studied to teach young people languages.

Thank you.

it’s used all the time on the internet. A social media colloquialism of agreement. Predating the “like” button and with a well recognized approximately equivalent meaning. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

it’s used all the time on the internet. A social media colloquialism of agreement. Predating the “like” button and with a well recognized approximately equivalent meaning. 

This.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

Good day, "cangelmd."

Thank you.

For someone who has been a CC member for over 10 years, it's remarkable that you claim to have "never seen or heard that expression used before", as it is used on CC on a regular basis. 

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

Good day, "cangelmd."

Thank you.

Oh dear, now you teach young people (sorry for them), you edit books, you use more quotes than anyone ever on the planet, you highlight and bold your, oh excuse me "we" statements..."jg51"  get help.

• Haha 1

American female here— whiskey is whiskey/bourbon, not scotch. (Yes, I know the difference between bourbon and whiskey.)  In London, years ago, I ordered a Whiskey Sour, and learned that whiskey in the UK is what we call scotch. I almost choked when I took a sip. I drink bourbon.

I have found, as mentioned above, Woodford Reserve and Maker’s Mark. Both are quite good. As for you being a Jim Beam drinker, I am not a fan of the white label Beam, but do like Jim Beam Black. It makes a great Manhattan. 

My late DH was a single malt scotch lover. He would have been ecstatic at what was available on the Premium Package. From what I know, the selection of single malt scotches is more varied than the available bourbons. @MadisonMom does an excellent job on this topic.

Edited by Straughn
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jg51 said:

Good day, "cangelmd."

Thank you.

LOL, that’s a combination of impending Alzheimer’s and lack of ability with emojis and getting a phone call and having to get back to work lol t the same time. There is some cool keyboard way of doing a small upwardoint caret witch combined with “This” emphasizes your agreement with the quote from another poster. I’m just a total fail with the up caret😌

1 minute ago, cangelmd said:

LOL, that’s a combination of impending Alzheimer’s and lack of ability with emojis and getting a phone call and having to get back to work lol t the same time. There is some cool keyboard way of doing a small upwardoint caret witch combined with “This” emphasizes your agreement with the quote from another poster. I’m just a total fail with the up caret😌

See, I did it again - can’t type and I hate the friendly Apple supply you with the wrong word autocorrect 

10 hours ago, jg51 said:

Good day, "cangelmd."

Thank you.

Sounds like people who are too lazy to type a proper reply 😉 

I am not familiarr with it either. 

Probably the same people who use text speak instead of words from the English dictionary.

On 7/7/2021 at 6:54 AM, brockmom said:

I second the aspen coffee….but we usually enjoy it as a dessert in the main dinning room. Whip cream on top and it’s perfect after a nice meal . Enjoy!

I will never forget the look I got from our waitress when I asked for a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a shot of Bailey’s for desert.  Quite delicious. 

On 7/7/2021 at 10:12 PM, isdoo said:

Sounds like people who are too lazy to type a proper reply 😉 

I am not familiarr with it either. 

Probably the same people who use text speak instead of words from the English dictionary.

I agree. I've given up asking "What does __ mean?" on  this board. So many times it's a initialism that adds nothing to the conversation that it's not worth asking

On 7/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

For us, the Premium Package is more of a convenience because it covers all things drinkable. Whatever I order to drink at whatever venue, it is mostly covered in the premium cost. That being said, I may never get my money’s worth in the additional cost, but I am happy with my freedom of choice.

Nothing wrong with the classic package and if one is satisfied with what it has to offer, that will certainly work. I do agree that with mixed cocktails high end liquors are a waste of money. However, if you want to try some whiskeys neat or on the rocks, premium package gives you that opportunity. If you enjoy an occasional gin or vodka martini, high end brands certainly make a quality difference. Same with tequilas, sipping straight, premium brands taste better. Mixed, it doesn’t matter.

Take advantage of the Premium Package. But of course, don’t overdo it. Order some whiskeys neat or on the rocks. You’ll get a couple of ounces and if you don’t like it, no problem they are already paid for. But if you do like them, you have a new favorite.

My recommendations for Whiskeys. Scotch: Single Malt – Glenlivet, Macallan; Blended – Chivas Regal, Dewars 12. For Bourbon: Woodford Reserve neat and Double Oaked on the rocks. Makers Mark is a good first time try and if they have Basil Hayden and/or Knob Creek Smoked Maple, both worth a sip or two.

For Vodka: Ciroc and Belvedere. For Gin: Aviator if they have it, Hendricks, Tangueray.

For Tequila: To sip straight, none better than Don Julio Reposada; for mixing, anything else.

Of course, any number of good beers, wines. Also, specialty coffees at Café al Bacio.

Stay thirsty my friend and drink responsibly.

I can hardly wait to try them all.......

!basball 2.jpg

On 7/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, zdad59 said:

My go to drinks on a cruise are....

• Makers Mark Double Oaked with a splash of ginger ale with dinner.
  • Baileys Irish Cream on the rocks for the evening show.
  • Courvoisier VSOP cognac with my late night cigar.
  •  During the day, IF I drink alcohol by the pool it is usually a frozen Blue Hawaiian or a Tanqueray and tonic.

As others have said, if you have the premium package its a great time to try some new things to see what you like.     No harm, no foul if you don't like the drink.   If you do, then you've just added to your potential drink quiver.

Blue Hawaiians all in a row.

693652668_BlueHawaiians.jpg.9b1b113e4b8257cabfedd18eeb08b938.jpg

Nothing like Blue Hawaiians when you want to count waves in the AFT rooms! 

!basball 2.jpg

• Like 1

Zacapa 23 rum.

Wines by Kim Crawford, Cherry Tart, and Conundrum.

La Fin du Monde beer.

There's a cucumber martini (Eurekatini?) available at the martini bar... it's made with gin but I ask for it with Absolut vodka instead. 

Whoever wrote the recipe for the lycheetini got the balance way off so it tastes like a pina colada...I ask for it without the coconut creme and with extra lychee juice.

Edited by royalcruz

On 7/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, George C said:

Hi Steve, I am currently on the Edge with the premium package , we also booked the sky suite then did a move up to the penthouse. Celebrity has great suite perks, best is Luminae which is totally great , I do find it a little noisier than the older ships but quality of food is still great. Love the retreat small pool and hot tub, nice chairs never any problem finding a chair. Also nice bar and there are a few lunch options there also.

As for the drink package, great thing is try anything if you don’t like it, just order something else , we do drink lots of scotch, the better single malts like Macallen I tend to drink neat, occasionally will add ice. Some people prefer the single malts, I also like the blends like Johnny Walker Black or Chevis regal , you might want to try’s scotch with some club soda also. Premium package covers 98 percent of what is offered , you could go higher on some wines like Caymus, best Cabernet in the premium decoy which is fairly good. Remember you can also bring two bottles of wine we brought Stags Leap Artemis , bad thing if you drink it in dinning room they charge a 25 dollar corkage fee. Experiment try lots of different things.

George C. Can you tell me if Celebrity are still stocking Jameson Irish Whiskey? They did have it on my last cruise in 2019 but it seems to have disappeared from the lists on the Celebrity drinks packages.

1 hour ago, GERRYRICE62 said:

George C. Can you tell me if Celebrity are still stocking Jameson Irish Whiskey? They did have it on my last cruise in 2019 but it seems to have disappeared from the lists on the Celebrity drinks packages.

Was not looking, but they seemed extremely large stocked , they had everything I wanted , if they had it before I would bet they still had it , they had several different Bombay gins . Along with different Patron tequila.

On 7/8/2021 at 12:14 AM, Straughn said:

American female here— whiskey is whiskey/bourbon, not scotch. (Yes, I know the difference between bourbon and whiskey.)  In London, years ago, I ordered a Whiskey Sour, and learned that whiskey in the UK is what we call scotch. I almost choked when I took a sip. I drink bourbon.

I have found, as mentioned above, Woodford Reserve and Maker’s Mark. Both are quite good. As for you being a Jim Beam drinker, I am not a fan of the white label Beam, but do like Jim Beam Black. It makes a great Manhattan. 

My late DH was a single malt scotch lover. He would have been ecstatic at what was available on the Premium Package. From what I know, the selection of single malt scotches is more varied than the available bourbons. @MadisonMom does an excellent job on this topic.

Whisky is scotch, no ‘e’!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kevinwinston2019 said:

Nothing like Blue Hawaiians when you want to count waves in the AFT rooms! 

!basball 2.jpg

I love Blue Hawaiians! I don't see them on the menus anymore. Does anyone know if they're still available?