Increase in Port Fees Caribbean Cruise!

WannaCruise365

Can anybody explain this big increase in port fees, I was looking at a Septmeber cruise 7 day Meraviglia  and the port fees have been at $98 PP. This morning I went to book the cruise and they have increased to $150.  I realize fees can increase but that amount seems like big jump.  Anyone have an answer? Thank you!

2 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Caribbean port taxes are high.  Our Seashore 7 night in December is and has always been $150 since we booked.  $98 seems like a bargain.  

Our Seashore sailing in April is still $98. Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep, Ocean Cay and St Thomas.

We are on the September 25th cruise.

I just checked my paperwork but the taxes & port charges are lumped together so I do not know what the port charges were when we booked.

Our itinerary has changed twice so that is why the port charge change. I think it will probably even change again before we go !.

I do not care....just get me on the ship. I feel if the charge goes down they will refund the difference....but I do not really even care if they do. at this point !

• Like 1

On November cruise and just checked, nothing has changed on what we owe for our cruise.
Originally it was Bahamas, Ocho Rio, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, now its just Cozumel, Costa Maya and Bahamas.
Somehow I feel like should get a refund but we just want to cruise.

11 hours ago, WannaCruise365 said:

Can anybody explain this big increase in port fees, I was looking at a Septmeber cruise 7 day Meraviglia  and the port fees have been at $98 PP. This morning I went to book the cruise and they have increased to $150.  I realize fees can increase but that amount seems like big jump.  Anyone have an answer? Thank you!

Yes, something is going on, but MSC does not seem to be clear. My 10/23 Meraviglia had taxes of $150 when I booked last November. When they did the recent itinerary change the taxes dropped to $98 , which is the same amount for the 10/16 sailing. I had my TA call to see if they would adjust my invoice and was told ‘no’, MSC does not adjust.

I called MSC reservations directly and the agent said the only way to take advantage of the lower taxes would be to refare at a current promo. No go for me as fares are double what I booked.

MSC agent suggested I email Existing Reservations dept. to see if they would do anything. Passenger on our roll call said he got a reply from existing reservations saying since your fare went up, it evens out so no adjustments. Finally, I received a reply and was told my request was being forwarded to their ‘adjustments’ dept but I should see something ‘in my favor’, so I assume they will adjust. Now the taxes are showing back up to $150, and no other itinerary changes so I have no ideal why the change in taxes again.

6 hours ago, wallyj said:

Yes, something is going on, but MSC does not seem to be clear. My 10/23 Meraviglia had taxes of $150 when I booked last November. When they did the recent itinerary change the taxes dropped to $98 , which is the same amount for the 10/16 sailing. I had my TA call to see if they would adjust my invoice and was told ‘no’, MSC does not adjust.

I called MSC reservations directly and the agent said the only way to take advantage of the lower taxes would be to refare at a current promo. No go for me as fares are double what I booked.

MSC agent suggested I email Existing Reservations dept. to see if they would do anything. Passenger on our roll call said he got a reply from existing reservations saying since your fare went up, it evens out so no adjustments. Finally, I received a reply and was told my request was being forwarded to their ‘adjustments’ dept but I should see something ‘in my favor’, so I assume they will adjust. Now the taxes are showing back up to $150, and no other itinerary changes so I have no ideal why the change in taxes again.

Thanks for the info but now you are in the circle of MSC hxxx.

22 hours ago, thepla said:

My August 2 trip of only their island and Nassau is $110 / person. I alwasy thought that was quite high for just two ports.

It is.  And obviously the money is going somewhere other than the port in Nassau.

23 hours ago, thepla said:

My August 2 trip of only their island and Nassau is $110 / person. I alwasy thought that was quite high for just two ports.

My trip on Seashore with only 2 ports besides Miami - Routan and Costa Maya has port charges of $110.

Could be when the sailings were booked. I have a Meraviglia 10/2/21 for 2, port fees $196 (booked the day it opened up for bookings). Next 2 just recently, Meraviglia 1/9/2022 for 1 port fees $150. Seashore 6/18/22 for 1 port fees $150. 

Could be that everything is still in flux.  My October cruise does not have any available excursions other than the private island.  Perhaps the cruise lines are having to guess what the different ports are going to charge.  Seems like a lot is still being negotiated.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Could be that everything is still in flux.  My October cruise does not have any available excursions other than the private island.  Perhaps the cruise lines are having to guess what the different ports are going to charge.  Seems like a lot is still being negotiated.

Our Sept trip has excursions for Nassau and OC but not Jamaica.

5 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Our Sept trip has excursions for Nassau and OC but not Jamaica.

We have all had times during this when we have lost patience with the cruise lines, but I'm not sure we appreciate what has been going on behind the scenes with the customer service and accounting departments at the cruise lines the last 15 months.  It has had to be a nightmare.  

• Like 3