Staycation Dress Code

Guest Snaxmuppet

On 7/10/2021 at 8:22 AM, Snaxmuppet said:

What a disaster! I ordered new shirts and a waistcoat from Amazon for the cruise on Britannia starting tomorrow and they DON'T FIT! 😭

So, it is back to the original plan... 4 days of relaxed cruising and no formal night.

It is my own fault. I hate buying clothes online for this very reason. I like to walk away from a shop knowing the stuff I have bought actually fits and is what I want. OK, I can send them back for a refund but that won't help me much. I have already tried other shops in the town such as M&S, NEXT, Moss Bros etc but they just don't have my size in anything I like (has there been a run on dress shirts size 17.5 !!!). I really can't spend today hunting down shirts so we have decided to wait until our next cruise which, if it goes to plan, will be February next year in the Caribbean.

Don’t know if it helps but I ordered my hubby a new shirt with bow tie and cummbaband (please excuse spelling) for £15 out of the sale yesterday, not sure if they do next day delivery, they do both slim and regular fit 

Guest Snaxmuppet
7 hours ago, Stokie33 said:

Don’t know if it helps but I ordered my hubby a new shirt with bow tie and cummbaband (please excuse spelling) for £15 out of the sale yesterday, not sure if they do next day delivery, they do both slim and regular fit 

Thanks for the heads-up but there just wasn't time.

never mind... it is 4 days and we are doing another cruise (not booked yet) in the new year... probably Caribbean and/or Alaska (May or June). I am sure we will have plenty of opportunity then to dress up 🙂

Just glad to be back cruising again 🙂 

What a disaster! I ordered new shirts and a waistcoat from Amazon for the cruise on Britannia starting tomorrow and they DON'T FIT! 😭

So, it is back to the original plan... 4 days of relaxed cruising and no formal night.

It is my own fault. I hate buying clothes online for this very reason. I like to walk away from a shop knowing the stuff I have bought actually fits and is what I want. OK, I can send them back for a refund but that won't help me much. I have already tried other shops in the town such as M&S, NEXT, Moss Bros etc but they just don't have my size in anything I like (has there been a run on dress shirts size 17.5 !!!). I really can't spend today hunting down shirts so we have decided to wait until our next cruise which, if it goes to plan, will be February next year in the Caribbean.

OMG - guests trawling Amazon for clothing, we really are plumbing the depths!

Aah what a shame. I hate buying clothes online for the same reason. Hubby can buy most things and they always fit. I seem to be different sizes in different shops, very frustrating!

Hope you really enjoy your cruise 😊

On 7/11/2021 at 5:18 PM, Snaxmuppet said:

never mind... it is 4 days and we are doing another cruise (not booked yet) in the new year... probably Caribbean and/or Alaska (May or June). I am sure we will have plenty of opportunity then to dress up 🙂

We won't be booking our Alaska cruise/tour for next year until a lot nearer the time. Cancelled twice now 2020 and 2021. 🤔

On 7/11/2021 at 5:18 PM, Snaxmuppet said:

You might find the Alaska cruise quite informal. Generally, the passenger base is largely North American and flights to/from Alaska are quite expensive, so they often try to be economical with luggage. Check out the Alaska Forum here on CC or the appropriate cruise line board.

I lost 4 and a half stone last year.Got a tent of a dinner whistle and shirt 50"chest and 42" waist.Moss Bros only worn once.Any bidders?You can use the jacket for a sail in emergencies.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I lost 4 and a half stone last year.Got a tent of a dinner whistle and shirt 50"chest and 42" waist.Moss Bros only worn once.Any bidders?You can use the jacket for a sail in emergencies.

Got mine out of the cleaners today ready for next week. I hope I'm not the only person wandering around with folks asking me what time the bingo starts🤣.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Got mine out of the cleaners today ready for next week. I hope I'm not the only person wandering around with folks asking me what time the bingo starts🤣.

Or asking you for a table for two, near the window, and can you do a gluten free prawn cocktail please.   

Edited by wowzz
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

You might find the Alaska cruise quite informal. Generally, the passenger base is largely North American and flights to/from Alaska are quite expensive, so they often try to be economical with luggage. Check out the Alaska Forum here on CC or the appropriate cruise line board.

Some cruises start with a flight to Anchorage, but many sail from Seattle, or Vancouver, or did pre plague.

Edited by zap99

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps I could do that and hope they shrink it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

Perhaps I could do that and hope they shrink it.

I asked DW if she could wash and shrink my new polo shirt. Sorry can't do that........... But you did it to my dress shirts.🤔.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Some cruises start with a flight to Anchorage, but many sail from Seattle, or Vancouver, or did pre plague.

True - but a lot of 7-night itineraries cruise one way, starting or finishing in Alaska at Seward or Whittier. Depends what line you are sailing too. We flew to Seattle but then flew up to Fairbanks to start a land-tour. I just recall that when I researched my cruise, many people on the Princess board was saying how casual many folks dress on Alaska cruises. Maybe a bit more formal on HAL 🤔

17 minutes ago, Britboys said:

True - but a lot of 7-night itineraries cruise one way, starting or finishing in Alaska at Seward or Whittier. Depends what line you are sailing too. We flew to Seattle but then flew up to Fairbanks to start a land-tour. I just recall that when I researched my cruise, many people on the Princess board was saying how casual many folks dress on Alaska cruises. Maybe a bit more formal on HAL 🤔

We flew to Calgary, then a Rockies tour and Rocky mountaineer to Vancouver and  Celebrity cruise to Alaska. No way was I going to take a Dinner suit, but Celebrity was smart casual. That was our once in a lifetime retirement treat. We have booked the same the last 2 years. Perhaps next year.🤔

• Like 1

On the current Britannia 4n cruise most people followed the Celebration Night dress code with either Black Tie or dark suits. One Covid change is no Captain’s reception but they give you a voucher for a glass of champagne to use in any bar that night. We saw someone not admitted to the restaurant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

Back today.

We decided not to do the formal night but I was pretty smart (jacket and tie) but not dark so no good for the MDR.

Instead we had a fantastic meal in the Glass House. I have had wine there on previous cruise but not eaten there... it is an absolute must for me now to have at least one meal there.

Glad to hear the Britannia Glass House is not formal, it was when I cruised on her. They said it had to be because that was where they filled the glasses for the Captains reception 🤔

The best Glass Houses on P&O are on Azura and Ventura where they are "relaxed informal bars that sell food". They have good large bars. On the other ships the bar area is smaller and it is obvious that P&O are attempting to migrate them into restaurants. The worst one is on Britannia!.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 3:13 PM, brian1 said:

Going on a 3 night staycation on the Britannia at the end of the month and finding it impossible to find a suit for my other half. Hes a 50 chest and around 40 waist. Is this still going Brian? 😁

• Haha 1