Celebrity Out Of Rome

Cruising89143

For those who have cruised Celebrity with a debarkation out of Civitavecchia (Rome) how did debarkation go? Other ports in Europe such as Venice was easy. We carried our own luggage off and right through the terminal to a waiting car service to the airport. Our ship docks at 5:00 AM so I’m not sure when they will start to allow guests to debark. Working on air travel plans. I know that the airport is about an hour from the port. Anyone with previous experience would be helpful. I’m aware of how much time is needed for checking in, etc. 

Thanks in advance.😊

It has been about 4 yrs since we disembarked (have ended cruises there 2 additional times) getting off the ship wasn’t difficult, locating luggage, crowded area where you exit to get transportation ,  many shuttle company’s looking to fill vans.  It took a good 25-30 minutes to locate our booked car and driver. 
Hopefully, the area has been expanded since then.  
We always spend a couple of days post cruise in Rome which takes the pressure off of getting luggage, car and to the airport.  

• Like 1

When we docked there the other year, the first people were allowed off about 7-7.30am.

We were recommended not to get a flight before midday to be on the safe side. Flying to the UK we would have been more than fine with a flight at that time. It took us less than an hour to get to the airport and we had a car waiting at the port for us. 
There were long queues to get through security and it wasn’t the best organised airport I have ever used. 

• Like 1

In the past we would self disembark at 7:00 and meet a prearranged car and driver (Rome Cabs). I recall an extra fee for pickup prior to 7:30. We were comfortable with flights out of FCO at 11:00 or later. Don't know how the Covid situation has impacted the time to get checked in and through security at FCO.

Even if the ship is scheduled for 5:00am arrival, I don't remember being cleared to leave the ship until around to 7:00.

Edited by rdt10
  • Like 1

We have disembarked out of Civitavecchia numerous times.    In the past most if not all the cruises had an EU port prior to Rome and there are no customs or immigration formalities.      Just walk off ship and hopped into the car we arranged.    While they say 7:00 officially for leaving the ship I've seen passengers streaming off as early as 6:00.   

• Like 1

When we disembarked in 2019, we also had no problems getting off, locating our luggage, and walked right out to the area where we had a driver waiting.  Although we did a full day tour before being dropped off at a hotel, I believe many of the drivers there were picking up people who were going right to the airport.

• Like 1

We were spending some time in Florence an Venice post cruise and had booked a 5 day EuroRail pass. Getting to the train station is also very easy.   They have a free shuttle out of the port to a drop off area on the edge of town where you buy a bus ticket for a couple euros and stops right in front of the Train Station.  

Only one warning.   At the trains station there aren't any elevators or escalators to get from the terminals to the tracks where you board so you will have to carry your bags down and up stairs.   

For all passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility, a free assistance service is available at Civitavecchia Station (only on request). This is a useful service, especially to go up and down the stairs that lead to some of the platforms.

The service can be requested (at least 1 hour in advance) by contacting the following numbers (from Italy):

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/civitavecchia-train-station

• Like 1