Hotel in Brooklyn

FritzG

On 6/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, ruthie0704 said:

Sorry to highjack.   But .... New Yorkers -  hubby and I are sailing NCL Prima transatlantic cruise in September, London - NYC.    We are staying in Manhattan a few days after our cruise and would like to spend a day in Brooklyn.   I was born in Brooklyn (Greenpoint) but moved away when I was 4.  Any suggestions of what our best mode of transportation to get there from Manhattan, things to see, where to eat, bars, etc.   Thanks for any input! 

You can get to Brooklyn by Commuter bus but not to Greenport.If you want to see scenic Brooklyn I would suggest taking the BM-3 bus from Fifth Avenue and 48 St.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You can get to Brooklyn by Commuter bus but not to Greenport.If you want to see scenic Brooklyn I would suggest taking the BM-3 bus from Fifth Avenue and 48 St.

Typo,I meant Greenpoint.My wife had a step-brother who had a business in Greenpoint.It was always a difficult area to travel to.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, ruthie0704 said:

We are staying in Manhattan a few days after our cruise and would like to spend a day in Brooklyn. I was born in Brooklyn (Greenpoint) but moved away when I was 4. Any suggestions of what our best mode of transportation to get there from Manhattan, things to see, where to eat, bars, etc.

If you're in New York City for several days, consider buying a one-week MetroCard for $33 per person. It will cover all of your local transportation needs within New York City (as well as within neighboring Westchester and Nassau counties), other than commuter trains, express buses, and ferries. As has been mentioned elsewhere, Brooklyn is a large borough, and would probably be best to do a bit of research personally since there are so many things that individually appeal to us. In particular, consider if you're looking to visit tourist sites, relive childhood memories, explore history or architecture, enjoy parks, do a foodie tour (e.g., best pizza in NYC is in Brooklyn). For planning purposes the Brooklyn bus maps, available here, is very useful. It is difficult to give suggestions without having interests narrowed down a bit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Jewel Hotel near Rockfeller center was recommended to us.  If we are coming in to LGA approx noon the day befoure our cruise, and departing early the next morning via the Brooklynn Cruise Terminal, would the Jewel be a reasonalable location for easy access to and from aiport and terminal, while still giving us walkable things to do for a few hours on that first afternoon?  

Open to other suggestions as well?  Thanks!  

25 minutes ago, nikylnn1 said:

The Jewel Hotel near Rockfeller center was recommended to us.  If we are coming in to LGA approx noon the day befoure our cruise, and departing early the next morning via the Brooklynn Cruise Terminal, would the Jewel be a reasonalable location for easy access to and from aiport and terminal, while still giving us walkable things to do for a few hours on that first afternoon?  

That would be in Manhattan, not Brooklyn, the subject of this thread...

I'd start a new thread with that question. Yes, probably, lots of other questions. Really a different thread...

1 hour ago, nikylnn1 said:

We always stay at the michealanglo a couple of blocks from Rockefeller center, boutique upscale hotel. Great location.

2 hours ago, nikylnn1 said:

I'm not familiar with the hotel, but you couldn't ask for a better neighborhood in Manhattan to do a few hours of walking around. The hotel is adjacent to Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and the heart of 5th Ave.

For transportation, figure on spending about $45 for a taxi, car service or Uber from LGA to the hotel. Fare from the hotel to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal will be about the same.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any experience with the Residence Inn/Manhattan Central Park?  That's the one we currently have booked.

Our flight is supposed to land at LGA at 11am.  We would like to do some walking to look around, specifically thinking maybe go to Top of the Rock and a pedicab tour of Central Park, dinner, then bed.

Thoughts on if this location is a good bet for this plan?

6 hours ago, nikylnn1 said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Residence Inn/Manhattan Central Park?

This would be a fairly neutral hotel and location in midtown Manhattan. Its name is not terribly accurate in its inclusion of "Central Park," as it is located on West 54th Street off of Broadway, but hoteliers have an expansive way of describing their location. The hotel is not particularly more accessible or inaccessible, to either LaGuardia Airport or the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, than most any other hotel in midtown Manhattan. I see nothing better or worse for this hotel, and I would choose it because it is a particularly good deal more so than any other reason. It is a short walk to both Central Park and to Rockefeller Center. (I would note that pedicabs in Manhattan are disparaged by most New Yorkers, are generally perceived as tourist traps, and they will frequently prey on their passengers with outrageous demands for inflated fares. Horse carriage rides in Central Park are less disparaged, more regulated, and more expensive, but even these vehicles are controversial with many having the believe that the horses are abused by having to pull carriages.) In short, the hotel should be fine for what you're planning to do, but unlikely to be anything especially memorable or providing substantial value or convenience compared to other choices.

• Like 1

I would have to say that @GTJ has given a perfectly adequate description of a perfectly adequate hotel and location …

Not quite sure how 54th becomes Central Park, but geography isn’t a strength of most marketing types! 

if you’re booking a Residence Inn for an included breakfast, I’d call to be sure they have a hot breakfast these days. I’ve found some hits and misses. 

• Like 1