Drink Promotion (no coffee!)

Empehi

It appears that NCLs Drink Promotion does not include specially coffees, juices or soft drinks.

Even paying only the gratuities on the package promotion, it seems if someone drinks a couple of coffees at breakfast and one at dinner plus some juice and a can of Coke and a couple of alcoholic drinks a day, the promotion does not make sense.

First, Is this true?

If it is ..... what would be the most economical way to keep our drinking costs down?

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Empehi said:

It appears that NCLs Drink Promotion does not include specially coffees, juices or soft drinks.

Even paying only the gratuities on the package promotion, it seems if someone drinks a couple of coffees at breakfast and one at dinner plus some juice and a can of Coke and a couple of alcoholic drinks a day, the promotion does not make sense.

First, Is this true?

If it is ..... what would be the most economical way to keep our drinking costs down?

Thanks.

Stick to the alcohol, and don't have the couple of coffees at breakfast and one at dinner plus some juice and a can of Coke. Unless you opt for premium plus U think, but it's not cheap!

Thanks for the link. It looks like NCL sold it's soul to Starbucks therefore Starbucks is in complete control of specialty coffees on NCL ships (so no specialty coffees in the Drink Package). It is bad enough you have to pay gratuities on the package (others lines do not charge this) but to not include coffees ( that the other lines include) because of the Starbucks rented space on NCL ships makes the drink package very uneconomical. So count me out out.

• Like 2

Just now, podgeandrodge said:

Stick to the alcohol, and don't have the couple of coffees at breakfast and one at dinner plus some juice and a can of Coke. Unless you opt for premium plus U think, but it's not cheap!

non freshly squeezed juice is included though and soda.

3 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Thanks for the link. It looks like NCL sold it's soul to Starbucks therefore Starbucks is in complete control of specialty coffees on NCL ships (so no specialty coffees in the Drink Package). It is bad enough you have to pay gratuities on the package (others lines do not charge this) but to not include coffees ( that the other lines include) because of the Starbucks rented space on NCL ships makes the drink package very uneconomical. So count me out out.

It is absolutely nothing to do with selling anything to Starbucks. The NCL beverage package has never included coffee and that dates from way before any Starbucks appeared on their ships.

You can still get free coffee, for example there are complementary coffee machines in the buffet. Not your espresso's/cappuccinos, but it does the job for me, and many others. I usually then just buy the occasional coffee from the coffee bar.

• Like 14

41 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Why is it so awful to have to pay gratuity? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm pretty sure that I've always had orange juice and coffee at Breakfast and never paid a penny.  Sometimes, the orange juice is in the form of a screwdriver....

But how do they turn a liquid into a solid?  😂

Screwdriver - Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

It is bad enough you have to pay gratuities on the package (others lines do not charge this) 

I hate to disagree but both Carnival and Royal charge gratuities in their drinks/drink packages, I don't know about other lines though

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Free coffee and juice in the buffet. Just nothing like Starbucks, Irish coffees, etc. 

I've only been to Starbucks once or twice in my life.  Yep, I just ordered black coffee and it tasted the same as coffee everywhere else.  Call me simple.  😎

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

First, Is this true?

Thanks.

The Premium Beverage Package does include soda from the bars - no Coke, Pepsi - but not bottled water, fresh-squeezed fruit juices, or specialty coffees. 

You can decline the PBP (and thus not pay the package gratuity) and purchase your specialty coffees individually. You can also bring wine or champagne on board for a corkage fee. 

You can upgrade to the Premium Plus package. You’d have to drink a whole lotta lattes for that to make financial sense.

You can book a different cruise line. Over the next year I’ll be on Princess, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. For the first two I have the “perk” beverage package (Princess Plus and Celebrity’s Always Included), and both include most non-alcoholic drinks including smoothies and espressos. Royal has the Refreshment drink package which covers all non-alcoholic drinks; I’ve opted for that and will just buy the occasional cocktail if the mood strikes. 

Or if you’re a solo cruiser like me, you book a Studio cabin and enjoy unlimited free espressos and lattes in the Studio Lounge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

First, it has absolutely nothing to do with Starbucks. In fact, Starbucks is a new addition to NCL. The beverage package for years and years before Starbucks has NEVER included specialty coffee. 

You do NOT have to pay gratuities on the beverage package. Just don’t select it as a promotion. 

Most cruise lines charge gratuities on their beverage packages. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Although Irish coffee is included in the beverage package.

You can order Irish coffee with the shot on the side, tada, you have circumvented the system.  Also, I am not sure it was just me, but in the Haven I had specialty coffee every night, which was an up-charge on the menu, but I was never charged a dime.  Not sure why, I was fine to pay for my decaf latte.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

You can order Irish coffee with the shot on the side, tada, you have circumvented the system.  Also, I am not sure it was just me, but in the Haven I had specialty coffee every night, which was an up-charge on the menu, but I was never charged a dime.  Not sure why, I was fine to pay for my decaf latte.  

More often than not, we don't get charged for coffees ordered after meals, especially in the speciality restaurants.

The work around with Irish coffee is often mentioned on here, but it isn't ideal for many (including myself). Whilst an espresso is what I order after meals, if I were to order something from the coffee bar then I usually fancy something like a latte or cappuccino, so an Irish coffee, with or without the shot is not a comparable alternative.

I'm not even sure what coffee they use for the Irish Coffee. It may even be the coffee that they offer for free anyway. I suspect it doesn't come from Starbucks.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I'm not even sure what coffee they use for the Irish Coffee. It may even be the coffee that they offer for free anyway.

Correct, it was my late DH's favourite coffee, unless we were in a suite or dining at Le Bistro.  The only coffee I love and really appreciate is the French Press, available in either situation. 

• Like 1

There used to be a promo for European customers that did include specialty coffees at meals but when the beverage plan was overhauled a couple of years back the European offer took out our extras. One tip, the studio lounge for the solos has a fancy coffee machine so you can help yourself to as many espressos as you want, you just need to stay in a studio cabin on Breakaway/getaway/escape/epic/encore. 

• Like 1

You can get coffee and juice at dinner in the main restaurants as well, but as was previously mentioned, the specialty stuff is extra likewise fresh squeezed juice. Also nothing to do with Starbucks, we were on the Spirit in Nov 19 with no Starbucks on board, and my fancy coffee of choice still cost me extra $$, likewise on CCl

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jcu1210 said:

You can get coffee and juice at dinner in the main restaurants as well, but as was previously mentioned, the specialty stuff is extra likewise fresh squeezed juice. Also nothing to do with Starbucks, we were on the Spirit in Nov 19 with no Starbucks on board, and my fancy coffee of choice still cost me extra $$, likewise on CCl

Yes, the beverage package was introduced around 2012-2013 (the first cruise I was on where is was available was the Breakaway tranatlantic in April 2013), and it didn't offer coffee.

The first Starbucks on an NCL ship was, I believe, on the Bliss which was launched in 2018, so about 5 years later.

• Like 1