Cabin Availability After Boarding

WestCoastFlyer

In the past we were able to head to our cabin, grab our keys from the envelope outside and leave our carry on bag inside the room even if the cabins were not completely ready.  With new Covid regulations and cleaning standards can anyone who has been on a trip since the restart advise if this is still the case. Or, is access to the inside of the cabin prohibited until the rooms are 100% ready.  Looking for input from people who were on cruise 2 or later when there was cleaning from a prior cruise required.

Looking to select our boarding time and don't want to have to haul our carry on bags around with us if cabins can't be accessed.  

Thanks 

In Seattle, the plan is to open the terminal once the ship is ready to board.  This is why the cruise lines all have instituted strict arrival times that will be enforced.  This was done to prevent large crowds gathered in waiting areas. 

The expectation is after passengers are vetted by the wellness team, they continue on through the security screening and check-in, then just walk onto the ship.  To make one's process as easy and streamlined as possible it is best to have completed the online check-in. 

Anyone sailing out of Seattle - please remember to bring your actual Vaccine Card and your WHTI level ID documents.

9 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

In Seattle, the plan is to open the terminal once the ship is ready to board.  This is why the cruise lines all have instituted strict arrival times that will be enforced. 

First boarding time is Noon in Seattle. I know it's reduced capacity, but it still seems to be very optimistic that all rooms will be ready (not just public areas) given enhanced cleaning protocols 

Edited by WestCoastFlyer

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

In Seattle, the plan is to open the terminal once the ship is ready to board.  This is why the cruise lines all have instituted strict arrival times that will be enforced.  This was done to prevent large crowds gathered in waiting areas. 

The expectation is after passengers are vetted by the wellness team, they continue on through the security screening and check-in, then just walk onto the ship.  To make one's process as easy and streamlined as possible it is best to have completed the online check-in. 

Anyone sailing out of Seattle - please remember to bring your actual Vaccine Card and your WHTI level ID documents.

Understand, I am not saying my comments to argue with you - you are just reporting facts.

I think this strict boarding time thing is crazy.  First of all, why bother to avoid big crowds in the boarding areas when most of these folks just encountered big crowds in airports and on flights, and will also encounter crowds onboard as they enjoy their cruise.  What/who exactly are they protecting?

And to begin check-in times as late as noon?  What are people supposed to do who have early flights?  Hang out in crowded airports instead?  Or people who stayed over the night before - hang out in the hotel lobby because they can't get a later check-out time?  And what happens when hotels get wise and start refusing to let guests do that?  Then what?

• Like 1

Two words - Diamond Princess.

I think the cruise lines are trying their best to keep their their passengers as healthy and safe during the pandemic.  We (USA) have been fortunate to have received very effective vaccines that have allowed a return to what was almost normal, including cruise traveling. 

In order to keep everyone as safe as possible, the cruise lines have been working with folks from the CDC and other gov't agencies to develop a safe return to cruising strategy.  Last Wednesday (7/7) the RCI Senerade OTS had the first Simulation sailing out of Seattle.  On board were CDC staff, US Public Health Service officers, other medical/public health personnel/consultants, as well as RCI executives, managers.  These folks evaluated shore staff before sailing, and ship crew during the voyage.  The goal is to to keep all current and future passengers safe & healthy (as well as crew, shore-side staff and anyone else passengers may come in contact with post cruise).

I understand that the waiting to check-in is an inconvenience (and the people in-charge know it too), but we all have to work together for the greater good.  The good news is that you get to go on a cruise - during a pandemic, and most likely return home as healthy as you were when you boarded the ship.

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I also understand you are reporting facts about the terminal and boarding, but what does this information have to do with the OP's question?  They asked if they can drop their luggage off in their cabin when they board even if the cabin isn't ready.  

I'd also be interested if someone who has sailed on the second sailing or later on a ship since the restart can give us some info about this.

7 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

I also understand you are reporting facts about the terminal and boarding, but what does this information have to do with the OP's question?  They asked if they can drop their luggage off in their cabin when they board even if the cabin isn't ready.  

I'd also be interested if someone who has sailed on the second sailing or later on a ship since the restart can give us some info about this.

I'm not the OP, but I think the roundabout answer is yes.  

The reason being is that they're not opening the terminal until the ship is ready to receive passengers, meaning everything is clean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

WHTI level documents.  Sorry I had to look this up.  So a Real ID driver's license, a passport or passport card?

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

WHTI level documents.  Sorry I had to look this up.  So a Real ID driver's license, a passport or passport card?

Yes, it has to be a Passport, passport card, or  birth certificate w/photo ID.  If you are using your PA Real ID driver's license you will need to bring your birth certificate as well.

The Passport, passport card and birth certificate w/driver's license is what most folks have.  If you lived in Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Washington or Vermont you could use your Enhanced Driver's License (citizenship is vetted with these licensees - and helps with the cross boarder travel with Canada).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

40 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Yes, it has to be a Passport, passport card, or  birth certificate w/photo ID.  If you are using your PA Real ID driver's license you will need to bring your birth certificate as well.

The Passport, passport card and birth certificate w/driver's license is what most folks have.  If you lived in Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Washington or Vermont you could use your Enhanced Driver's License (citizenship is vetted with these licensees - and helps with the cross boarder travel with Canada).

Hope this helps.

Thanks do you mind if I post this information on our Roll Call?  We will bring our passports.  I thought Real ID was accepted for all domestic flights and travel.  We are not stopping in Canada so we don't need Enhanced.

My experience pre-Covid is that if the ship had gone through Revolution then you could stop by your room and drop off things when you board.   They asked you then hang out in the common area to allow the housekeeping to complete their job.    Your room key were in a sealed envelope on you door.   

Very handy to not have to haul your carry on around the ship

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks do you mind if I post this information on our Roll Call?  We will bring our passports.  I thought Real ID was accepted for all domestic flights and travel.  We are not stopping in Canada so we don't need Enhanced.

Yes, it would be tragic if someone was denied boarding because they didn't have the correct travel documents.  It all about proving citizenship (whatever it is).

Also, folks need their actual vaccine card (at least on the Seattle sailings) - be sure to bring that as well.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hope this helps.

My passport is out for renewal (who knew it would take 17 weeks?!) My birth certificate has a  name I haven't used in over 50 years. I have a WA enhanced driver's license. Am I good to go?

10 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

My passport is out for renewal (who knew it would take 17 weeks?!) My birth certificate has a  name I haven't used in over 50 years. I have a WA enhanced driver's license. Am I good to go?

WA Enhanced DL is accepted for you Alaskan cruise. 

FYI - if you were traveling with your birth certificate and your name changed due to marriage, the pier agents would verify that you first and middle name, as well as your birth date were the same on your birth certificate and your current driver's license.

14 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

FYI - if you were traveling with your birth certificate and your name changed due to marriage, the pier agents would verify that you first and middle name, as well as your birth date were the same on your birth certificate and your current driver's license.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 11:55 AM, WestCoastFlyer said:

In the past we were able to head to our cabin, grab our keys from the envelope outside and leave our carry on bag inside the room even if the cabins were not completely ready.  With new Covid regulations and cleaning standards can anyone who has been on a trip since the restart advise if this is still the case. Or, is access to the inside of the cabin prohibited until the rooms are 100% ready.  Looking for input from people who were on cruise 2 or later when there was cleaning from a prior cruise required.

Looking to select our boarding time and don't want to have to haul our carry on bags around with us if cabins can't be accessed.  

We are on the Aug 8 sailing of the Equinox.    Our instructions say that we can pick up our room key from an envelope outside the room door and drop off our luggage in our room.  Then we can return to the room once it is ready at 1pm.  

This is exactly what we are going to do.   Drop off our luggage, pick up my husband's scooter that is waiting in the room and head for the Martini Bar.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

We are on the Aug 8 sailing of the Equinox.    Our instructions say that we can pick up our room key from an envelope outside the room door and drop off our luggage in our room.  Then we can return to the room once it is ready at 1pm.  

This is exactly what we are going to do.   Drop off our luggage, pick up my husband's scooter that is waiting in the room and head for the Martini Bar.  

Thanks so much! Finally an answer to the original question!!!

On 7/11/2021 at 6:55 PM, phoenix_dream said:

... I think this strict boarding time thing is crazy.  First of all, why bother to avoid big crowds in the boarding areas when most of these folks just encountered big crowds in airports and on flights, and will also encounter crowds onboard as they enjoy their cruise.  What/who exactly are they protecting?  And to begin check-in times as late as noon?  ...

Thanks, "phoenix_dream," for your thought-provoking comments!

After considering what you have written -- and other facts -- carefully, we have concluded that the time has come for Celebrity to do away with assigning embarkation times.  Assigned times are causing a lot of stress -- but they are not needed and can no longer be justified, in our opinion. 

Cruising guests should now simply be able to return to the former method of check-in/embarkation that had been used for years/decades -- with just two exceptions (one mandatory, one at a cruise line's discretion), as follows:

MANDATORY:  All non-vaccinated guests -- who, of course, need to be tested on the spot -- would need to report to a special, isolated area.

OTHERWISE:  All vaccinated guests may enter the terminal on a first-come/first-served basis [not by an assigned time], but -- if optionally decided by the cruise line -- must maintain the customary "physical distancing" (six feet / two metres), to give peace of mind to guests who still feel uncomfortable being closer than that, even to (their fellow) vaccinated guests.

Edited by jg51
  • Haha 1