It’s been 10 since my last Carnival Cruise. What is new?

Shayhooper

My family and I have been exclusive NCL cruisers over the past decade simply because we liked the casual nature, eat whenever you want and perks like drinks and specialties restaurants included.  Before that I have been on the Ecstasy and Sensation (I think) so my experience with Carnival is mostly older smaller ships.

After spending the last 17 months at home and to celebrate our 12 year old daughter getting vaccinated, we decided we wanted to take a vacation in August.  We’ve been VERY careful during the pandemic by staying home so we knew that we wanted something where everyone is vaccinated and something close to the west coast so we aren’t on an air plain too long.  That eliminated most land vacations. When we started looking at cruises, the Aug 21 Panorama cruise out of Long Beach met all of our requirements.

So….. what is new about Carnival that we need to know?  What should we be sure not to miss?

Probably not much changed since you were last on Carnival. Ships are larger with more people. Probably more people in close quarters than you have been around in the last 17 months. You need to be prepared for that.

Things not to miss in my opinion.

Guy's burgers. 
His BBQ place which will be on a different deck, assuming your ship has either.

Alchemy Bar. Best drinks at sea.

I think carnival has done a great job in the last 10 years adding specialty venues. Our first cruise was in 2010 on the ecstasy. The difference is night and day. There’s a lot of venues for free food other than the lido buffet snd dining room. Guys burger, blue iguana, if you’re on MG or a few of the newest ships then there’s also Cucina which offers free lunch as well. I think they’re really trying with entertainment too. Oh and the specialty coffee shop is a favorite of mine on the newer ships. How about the Alchemy bar? Their specialty drinks are amazing. 
The water works are greatly improved from 10 years ago, also the mini golf is nicer too which I’m sure youngsters will appreciate. 
Anyways, I guess it depends on what you’re looking for in a vacation. Do you cruise for the shows, food, other entertainment? Having sailed on one of the old ships and a few of the new ones, I think there’s a big difference, but also a comforting familiarity that reminds you that it’s still Carnival, which we appreciate. 

• Like 2

It partially will depend on the ship- For instance Vista has a far more private "Havana" room and deck area that's an upcharge but really nice- it has an IMAX theater on board and a 4-D thrill theater and an elevated hanging bicycle you can ride to circle around the top deck and take in the view but the atrium is gone. There's much more dining options, even added to some older ships and specialty experiences like the Chef's table or the ice cream parlor. I also love the Cafe, also an upcharge but really cool. Were the adult only areas in place ten years ago? Not sure but those exist now as well. I also had a ten year break and so much had changed.    

9 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

My family and I have been exclusive NCL cruisers over the past decade simply because we liked the casual nature, eat whenever you want and perks like drinks and specialties restaurants included.  Before that I have been on the Ecstasy and Sensation (I think) so my experience with Carnival is mostly older smaller ships.

After spending the last 17 months at home and to celebrate our 12 year old daughter getting vaccinated, we decided we wanted to take a vacation in August.  We’ve been VERY careful during the pandemic by staying home so we knew that we wanted something where everyone is vaccinated and something close to the west coast so we aren’t on an air plain too long.  That eliminated most land vacations. When we started looking at cruises, the Aug 21 Panorama cruise out of Long Beach met all of our requirements.

So….. what is new about Carnival that we need to know?  What should we be sure not to miss?

First of all, thank you for your caution and commitment to doing The Right Things.  I hope this upcoming cruise is one of your most pleasant rewards.

Comparing NCL to the Carnival of 10 years ago... that's a tough one.  I'll do the best I can.  I've never been on NCL, though I've tried twice.  My first Carnival cruise was in 2014 and things have changed considerably since then.  Some bigger ships have been added to the fleet, and some have departed - including the Fantasy.  More dining venues have been added.  Some areas have been redesigned.

If you've gotten used to the Broadway-style shows on NCL, the Carnival shows could be a big disappointment.  They're not nearly as ambitious, just a bunch of talented singers and dancers performing to a (prerecorded) beat.  It's better than I make it sound - especially if you like the overarching theme - but it will never be confused with a Broadway show.

Guy's (burgers) and BlueIguana (mexican) are free specialty dining places that are hard to miss even if you wanted to - and you shouldn't.  They have good food but somewhat limited hours.

One thing Carnival does well, IMHO, is comedy.  Lots of shows, lots of comedians.  There's a good chance you'll find something to like.  But as mentioned earlier, show up early, since there's no prebooking yet.

I have two interpretations of "eat whenever you want".  If you mean freestyle dining, Carnival has that with Your Time Dining.  I think it works well.  If you mean getting a decent meal or snack 24/7, then you'll have problems.  There's nothing like O'Sheehans on board any Carnival ship.  You can get pizza whenever (and wherever) you want, but beyond that, room service isn't very good (IMHO again), and every other food outlet has limited hours.

I hope this was of help to you.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

What should we be sure not to miss?

Book the Teppanyaki restaurant for supper one night its a great time with great food.  If you want to dine when you like i suggest your time dining.  Using the Carnival app on board to book your eating times is very simple and very quick.

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

More food choices, more like NCL than before,

more pay food and more private areas. 

I love the lunch choices myself on carnival. 

I haven't cruised in six years now

but that (more like NCL than before) is not want I wanted to hear.

On eleven past Carnival cruises,

lunch choices have always been interesting!

Last two or three cruises, Burritos did it for me

but sometimes Fish & Chips upstairs on Deck 10 also fit the bill.

18 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I haven't cruised in six years now

but that (more like NCL than before) is not want I wanted to hear.

On eleven past Carnival cruises,

lunch choices have always been interesting!

Last two or three cruises, Burritos did it for me

but sometimes Fish & Chips upstairs on Deck 10 also fit the bill.

On the conquest class who had fish and chips upstairs it is now guys bbq, which was good and also quiet. 

Now there is a ala carte pay fish shack. On vista it was in the back where there was a free india tandoori on dream class. Also a JiJis for 15 at night free for lunch and a cucina 15 for dinner and free for lunch.

Guys burgers are free and awesome. Mexican cantina I like the taco bowl though i think they call it something else but they will but whatever you like inside. Choice of meat. They still have Mongolian bbq, it's at JiJis on newer ships.

Carnival started with dream class and spa cabins. Loved it. Vista class has Havana area with its private adult pool and no fighting for chairs. Mardi gras added yet another private area that costs even more to book cabins there. Mardi gras has even more places to eat, pay and free

That's what I meant by more like ncl, more pay venues to eat at and private areas to book cabins.

• Thanks 1