Tell me about the Chef’s Table?

helene109

I LOVE the Chef's Table. It is one of my favorite things to do on a Carnival Cruise. However, last I heard, they weren't doing it at this time.  With that said, it is on the website for my August cruise even though I am pretty sure they aren't allowing it...so, just because it is on the website, I am not sure if that means it is a go or not.  Anyone know?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I LOVE the Chef's Table. It is one of my favorite things to do on a Carnival Cruise. However, last I heard, they weren't doing it at this time.  With that said, it is on the website for my August cruise even though I am pretty sure they aren't allowing it...so, just because it is on the website, I am not sure if that means it is a go or not.  Anyone know?

It is listed for my 8-14! Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, helene109 said:

It is listed for my 8-14! Thanks again!

I just went and looked and it is no longer listed on my 8/07 cruise on the Vista.  So, maybe this means they *ARE* doing it just on the Mardi Gras.  Long story short: If you have a chance to do it, 1000 percent do it!  It was the highlight of my cruise the two times that I have done it. The meal is numerous courses...maybe 7-10 courses with wine.  IMO, the quality far surpasses anything I had previously had on a CCL cruise in the MDR or elsewhere. Some people think it is a little "foo foo," but it was right up my alley.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Dream class ships used to host it in the galley.  They may find another location post-covid.  It was fun there but somewhat noisy.

Conquest class ships host it in a private room off the mid-ship dining room.  Very pleasant location.

I will say only this ( there should be some surprises):  If you are a meat and potatoes lover or otherwise picky eater, don't do it.  If you are a more adventurous diner, don't miss it.

You don't select an entree, you are given each appetizer, each course (5-7), and dessert.  And wine. It takes around 3 hours and is a memorable evening.

You will be contacted prior to dinner about allergies and aversions and the chef will accommodate your needs for specific courses.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I just went and looked and it is no longer listed on my 8/07 cruise on the Vista.  So, maybe this means they *ARE* doing it just on the Mardi Gras.  Long story short: If you have a chance to do it, 1000 percent do it!  It was the highlight of my cruise the two times that I have done it. The meal is numerous courses...maybe 7-10 courses with wine.  IMO, the quality far surpasses anything I had previously had on a CCL cruise in the MDR or elsewhere. Some people think it is a little "foo foo," but it was right up my alley.    

Wow maybe I will just book it! It wasn’t there yesterday!

24 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

You will be contacted prior to dinner about allergies and aversions and the chef will accommodate your needs for specific courses.

Is that fairly new? We did it once and was never asked anything. Thankfully it was good. I am the picky one but the Chef's Table was not something dw wants to repeat and I would love to try it again.

Has the menu changed since 2015?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

Not OP, but.. I've always wanted to try something like this out but figured my dietary restrictions wouldn't allow it (vegetarian & wheat allergy). Do you think they'd accommodate something like that? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Just booked the Chef's Table for Mardi Gras February 26th!!

Thanks for the head’s up! I’m on that cruise; want to do it need to see which of my travel companions also want to book!

I did the Chef’s Table on the Splendor many years ago when it was out of Long Beach; the best meal at sea I ever had!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Is that fairly new? We did it once and was never asked anything. Thankfully it was good. I am the picky one but the Chef's Table was not something dw wants to repeat and I would love to try it again.

Has the menu changed since 2015?

I don't remember when the menu was last changed.

I have enjoyed the Chef's Table at least four times and have, each time, been contacted (maybe by phone in the cabin?)  about allergies.

One time a vegan participated and as I remember most of the dishes she was served were adjusted for her.  The rest of us were served the dishes as the chef preferred.

• Like 3

I try to do the Chef's Table on every new line or ship I try out and my recent experience at the Chef's Table on the Carnival Valor (August 2019) ranks up there as possibly the best I've ever experienced.

We did small hors d'oeuvres in the galley as part of our galley tour (where we also learned how to make the molten chocolate cake!) -- they featured a mini shrimp "po boy" on a pretzel bun with a side of bacon ice cream (since we were sailing out of New Orleans) and then we had another set of courses in a private dining area off the main dining room. It was a lot of molecular gastronomy and I was VERY pleased.

Personally, I don't eat cooked fish but my husband was more than happy to finish off that small portion for me (I did try it). This time, I'll be experiencing it with a newly diagnosed shellfish allergy (womp womp), but looking forward to it! Let me see if I can add the menu and some pictures from my experience!

IMG_9597.jpg

IMG_9596.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

IMG_9603.jpg

IMG_9611.jpg

IMG_9608.jpg

IMG_9613.jpg

IMG_9616.jpg

IMG_9617.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9607 2.jpg

Edited by keels81
  • Thanks 1

Also, we got a copy of the menu (that the chef and sous chef autographed for us!) as well as a picture of the two of us (my husband and I) at dinner that were included in the cost. We did the wine pairing, which was fine but slightly pedestrian -- for Oct. on the Mardi Gras, I'll be ordering wine a la carte to pair myself since I won't have Cheers.

• Like 2

I’m a picky eater, but I have done Chef’s table several times, all with a group of friends.  The chef and waiters were very accommodating and prepared special versions of some of the dishes just for me.  They were very considerate and understanding, and made sure to ask whether there were allergies or just items I don’t like to eat.  All in all it was a good experience.  Very elegant and classy, and worth the cost.

• Like 2

Hopefully, as someone mentioned above, that it hasn't been "cancelled", as I've already booked and paid for it months ago for my upcoming Mardi Gras cruise in November... It's an experience more than just a "meal", and worth it compared to land based restaurants that do a similar menu. 

I just noticed that it is an option for our 8/7 Mardi Gras sailing (back, as of today).

I've already spread all 7 nights between the Steakhouse and Rudi's. There's just too much to offer in those two places for us to consider the Chef's Table. We've enjoyed it perhaps 4-5 times. No doubt the menu has changed a bit again (I'd hope). This time it will just be Cheryl and me sharing a table - no concerns with having to partake in "table talk", as is the case with a group dining experience.

For anyone who had not experienced it - go for it. It's a good 2.5-3 hour gastronomical extravaganza!

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EMOSEA said:

Not OP, but.. I've always wanted to try something like this out but figured my dietary restrictions wouldn't allow it (vegetarian & wheat allergy). Do you think they'd accommodate something like that? 

I am allergic to all seafood and fish and sensitive to wheat and barley and they were happy to accommodate me. When we booked it I just told them my dietary needs. The chef should be able to adapt the menu for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, helene109 said:

It’s $95 on Mardi Gras and $75 on all other ships. Just can’t decide ugh

If you want a great meal, don't mind chatting it up with table mates, and are ok devoting an entire evening to the process, GO FOR IT !!!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1