RCI considers mixed vaccine guests as unvaccinated, we will have to wear masks indoor as well

gam888

NOTE: Guests who have used mixed vaccination protocols will not be considered fully vaccinated (i.e. 1 dose Pfizer + 1 dose Moderna, or 1 dose AstraZeneca + 1 dose Pfizer, etc.). To be considered fully vaccinated, a guest must have received all doses of one accepted vaccine. Otherwise, a guest will be considered unvaccinated.

We are booked on the Adventure of the Seas sailing in July. I called RCI and they say that we will be put in the unvaccinated group since we had mixed doses. The venues on the ships will have different times when the vaccinated group or the unvaccinated group can go, so they are kept separated.  I think we would have to wear masks indoor as well being in the unvaccinated group. So that is making this cruise a lot less attractive now. We have to think about if we still want to go or not. Also RCI is giving an Antigen test on the second last day of the cruise before we get off, so we can return to Canada. But according to the Canadian Govt's website, they don't accept Antigen test. So I have no idea how we are supposed to get a PCR test somewhere in the Bahamas during the cruise, since we are getting off the cruise and flying back to Canada on the same day. So this is getting a lot more complicated now.

I am devastated by this. We were told “strongly” to get the first vaccine available to us, so I took the AZ, then Pfizer and now I’m considered unvaccinated 💔. I guess I’m cancelling our cruise. If I can’t enjoy the full experience that fully vaccinated passengers can, it’s just not worth it. I am angry and so disappointed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gam888 said:

NOTE: Guests who have used mixed vaccination protocols will not be considered fully vaccinated (i.e. 1 dose Pfizer + 1 dose Moderna, or 1 dose AstraZeneca + 1 dose Pfizer, etc.). To be considered fully vaccinated, a guest must have received all doses of one accepted vaccine. Otherwise, a guest will be considered unvaccinated.

We are booked on the Adventure of the Seas sailing in July. I called RCI and they say that we will be put in the unvaccinated group since we had mixed doses. The venues on the ships will have different times when the vaccinated group or the unvaccinated group can go, so they are kept separated.  I think we would have to wear masks indoor as well being in the unvaccinated group. So that is making this cruise a lot less attractive now. We have to think about if we still want to go or not. Also RCI is giving an Antigen test on the second last day of the cruise before we get off, so we can return to Canada. But according to the Canadian Govt's website, they don't accept Antigen test. So I have no idea how we are supposed to get a PCR test somewhere in the Bahamas during the cruise, since we are getting off the cruise and flying back to Canada on the same day. So this is getting a lot more complicated now.

You can get a PCR test at the airport and get a same day result (within an hour). It costs $150 though. Just google PCR test and the name of your airport.

As I said in your other thread, ask Royal Caribbean if they can give you a PCR test instead of the antigen. Celebrity has told a Canadian passenger that they'll do it, and the two lines tend to have similar policies.

• Like 1

Just now, Fouremco said:

As I said in your other thread, ask Royal Caribbean if they can give you a PCR test instead of the antigen. Celebrity has told a Canadian passenger that they'll do it, and the two lines tend to have similar policies.

Thanks Fouremco for replying. We are starting to feel it might not be worthwhile to go on this cruise because of all these uncertainty. We heard conflicting information about if the ship's venues are divided to the 2  different groups as well. We don't feel comfortable if we have to go to venues with unvaccinated passengers, and we might have to wear masks indoor. I found that it depends on who you talk to at RCI, different agents would give you different answers. Everything is so fluid, some agents are not as informed as others. That does not give us confidence which agent to believe. 

13 minutes ago, gam888 said:

Thanks Fouremco for replying. We are starting to feel it might not be worthwhile to go on this cruise because of all these uncertainty. We heard conflicting information about if the ship's venues are divided to the 2  different groups as well. We don't feel comfortable if we have to go to venues with unvaccinated passengers, and we might have to wear masks indoor. I found that it depends on who you talk to at RCI, different agents would give you different answers. Everything is so fluid, some agents are not as informed as others. That does not give us confidence which agent to believe. 

Understood. This whole mixed vaccine issue will probably be resolved, given the very positive results from studies that have been conducted in the UK, but whether in time for your cruise is a big question mark. As for testing before returning to Canada, we'll see if July 21's announcements will have an impact. I do hope that you can get these issues resolved to your satisfaction in time to give the cruise a green light.

As Trudeau is talking about opening the borders to vaccinated people,  and if the reciprocal happens, what will the US definition of fully vaccinated be?  It would be political suicide so close to the next potential election,  for him to agree to an opening where the US only allowed fully vaccinated people that did not have mixed doses into the country.   There has been discussions around this and he would know what the US position is on allowing Canadians into the US. 

If the US agrees that full vaccinated includes mixed doses, then I believe this will help the argument with the cruiselines to allow mixed dose passengers.  

There is supposed to be further announcements next week.  Lets see what happens. 

• Like 3

On 7/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, gam888 said:

Also RCI is giving an Antigen test on the second last day of the cruise before we get off, so we can return to Canada. But according to the Canadian Govt's website, they don't accept Antigen test. So I have no idea how we are supposed to get a PCR test somewhere in the Bahamas during the cruise, since we are getting off the cruise and flying back to Canada on the same day. So this is getting a lot more complicated now.

One other person mentioned this above, but I can confirm.  We plan to cruise on the Odyssey in August 2021.  I contacted RCCL directly via an e-mail to Michael Bayley's office and received a response saying that they would provide me with either a rapid antigen test or a PCR test free of charge so I could reenter Canada.  Now, that said, if you are consider unvaccinated (which many Canadians now are since they took two different vaccines), then you will have to pay for this test unless RCCL changes their policy before you cruise (hopefully so).  I guess however that those scheduled on the Adventure will not be permitted on the ship if they have mixed doses, where as out of Florida you can pay for the testing and still board.

As of today Royal Caribbean removed the paragraph from their website advising that mixed vaccines are considered not vaccinated.  I'm sure they got wind of the issues this caused with Canadian and European passengers. 

• Like 1

gam888, you mentioned you were slated to go on the cruise in July.  Are you boarding today?  Did you get on ok?  Can you please give us an update on your recent travel experience when you return?

On 7/18/2021 at 2:21 PM, Russ Lomas said:

One other person mentioned this above, but I can confirm.  We plan to cruise on the Odyssey in August 2021.  I contacted RCCL directly via an e-mail to Michael Bayley's office and received a response saying that they would provide me with either a rapid antigen test or a PCR test free of charge so I could reenter Canada.  Now, that said, if you are consider unvaccinated (which many Canadians now are since they took two different vaccines), then you will have to pay for this test unless RCCL changes their policy before you cruise (hopefully so).  I guess however that those scheduled on the Adventure will not be permitted on the ship if they have mixed doses, where as out of Florida you can pay for the testing and still board.

LOL... I spoke to them also.... reply" yes to antigen test to return, but crickets to PCR... isn't that the same test"???? Oh boy......... Big communication issues between these subsidiaries. Guess it's a matter of time to iron out the wrinkles and to train staff.