Scooter advice... if it's allowed!!!

indiana123

I know a couple of gents on here have mobility scooters.   (I'm a girl..)   

Sadly I am going to have a look for one today.  I need it for things like days out, or shopping malls etc    and for cruising! .    I don't think I will make the length of Iona in September.☺️    I'm fine indoors and immediate area.  Also any advice on what to look out for or to avoid.

Any ideas for very lightweight boot scooter, folding with pulling handle, and have armrests.  One was great E.F***i but the leg rests were on the wheel and the lite one  looked strange.

This post may not be allowed.  I wish we could do private pms.  ..,but I am getting more and more confused.  Some look perfect but are too heavy for us to lift into the car.

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

I know a couple of gents on here have mobility scooters.   (I'm a girl..)   

Sadly I am going to have a look for one today.  I need it for things like days out, or shopping malls etc    and for cruising! .    I don't think I will make the length of Iona in September.☺️    I'm fine indoors and immediate area.  Also any advice on what to look out for or to avoid.

Any ideas for very lightweight boot scooter, folding with pulling handle, and have armrests.  One was great E.F***i but the leg rests were on the wheel and the lite one  looked strange.

This post may not be allowed.  I wish we could do private pms.  ..,but I am getting more and more confused.  Some look perfect but are too heavy for us to lift into the car.

There are others here with far more knowledge than I have on this, but I’ll happily share some thoughts for what they’re worth.

I reached the point last year when walking was taking an age because of the number of rests needed. I was using a sort of sit-on stick thing, but it was only of limited help. So I bought a Pride iGo plus electric wheelchair for its ability to fold and put into the boot. The other one I’d considered was the one you mention. It’s pretty good, subject of course to the usual obstacles on pavements.

However, not long after that it struck me that I was getting no exercise, so after a lot of research I bought a Rollz Motion. It’s a rollator that converts easily into a wheelchair. It’s been life changing. Haven’t used the wheelchair since. Nothing like the standard NHS ones, and a great piece of Dutch design.

It depends entirely on your needs of course, but it’s really suited mine (basically a bit of support plus something to sit on, plus a wheelchair option) and I’d thoroughly recommend it if it suits.

One thing I would mention is that there’s a vast difference between the prices in mobility shops and the prices online. Literally half in the case of the wheelchair, and that included a two year onsite warranty.

I have a Travelscoot and it's supposedly the lightest travel scooter.   I can lift mine and put it in my trunk.   It does fold up with a little effort so it would fit in any car.   The seat comes off etc.   I have travelled extensively with it and would not leave home without it.   Not cheap but well made - I just bought my second one and will sell the older one that it still in excellent condition.   

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 2:17 AM, GUT2407 said:

I use a folding electric wheelchair I much prefer it to a scooter. Some are as light as 20kg.

I am looking into purchasing one. What brand do you have and any suggestions you can offer will be deeply appreciated?

Edited by Tall22
punctuation

On 7/22/2021 at 2:17 AM, GUT2407 said:

I use a folding electric wheelchair I much prefer it to a scooter. Some are as light as 20kg.

For comparison purposes the Travelscoot is only 13 Kg so not too heavy to lift into a car trunk.   I don't think I would be able to lift 20 kg.

I used a travelscoot scooter for over 10 years and I loved it. However, as my post-polio progressed I found I could not step over the center section of any scooter. I have been using a "fold and go" wheelchair for about a year and also so love it. It is strong, lightweight, and has good battery power. I find it easy to use as the foot rest does not need to be stepped over. You can google fold and go if interested further.

On 8/2/2021 at 1:07 PM, katisdale said:

I used a travelscoot scooter for over 10 years and I loved it. However, as my post-polio progressed I found I could not step over the center section of any scooter. I have been using a "fold and go" wheelchair for about a year and also so love it. It is strong, lightweight, and has good battery power. I find it easy to use as the foot rest does not need to be stepped over. You can google fold and go if interested further.

You probably already know this but you can remove the red cover on the bottom of the TS so your foot can go into the centre part that would be open and make it easier for you to get on and off the TS.   It is only attached with velcro and easy to remove ( I removed mine to wash it).

Yes, I removed the center piece years ago. I still needed to step across the center and had increasing difficulty with that. It was my problem and I solved it by getting a fold and go wheelchair. All scooters have a center section to step across. I now need the chair.

• 4 months later...

I've used the Drive Medical Scout/Spitfire DST 4 wheel for going on 6 years now.  It's not the lightest travel scooter around, and I choose the 4 wheel version of the 3 wheel version for stability, even if it has a wider turning radius.  It breaks down into 4 parts: Seat, battery, rear drive section and the main section.  Individually, I think the heaviest piece is about 40 lbs.  When broken down, it takes up about as much room as 2 normal sized rolling suitcases.  This thing is a beast and a workhorse.  I've travelled all over with it, including being able to see about 75 to 80% of the ruins of Uxmal in the Yucatan, thanks to a couple of friendly people on the tour we were on that lifted it over 2 or 3 obstacles.  I've taken it on a number of cruises on Carnival and Celebrity, and only once were we in a accessible cabin, and that time, it was only what Carnival calls an "Ambulatory Accessible" cabin, and I had no problems with it.  In one cabin, I would back in to the cabin, take the seat off and then back it under the "desk" area that was near the door.  That worked great, because it meant that I could just pull out of the cabin.  It helped that I took off the arm rests, so I was able to fit it through a normal cabin door.  You can usually find this scooter for under $1,000 and it's even available on Amazon.  It also has a decent weight capacity.

I am considering upgrading to the Fold and Go powered wheelchair as it can go up an even steeper incline than the Spitfire DST and will handle rougher terrain, which is a plus, given the places the wife and I like to travel to.

20 hours ago, RotorHeadATL said:

I am considering upgrading to the Fold and Go powered wheelchair as it can go up an even steeper incline than the Spitfire DST and will handle rougher terrain, which is a plus, given the places the wife and I like to travel to.

I upgraded to a Fold and Go and am very happy with it. This past weekend, I was in Philadelphia. My friends wanted to go to dinner at a few places in the older parts of the city with narrow and steep brick and cobblestone sidewalks, many of which had huge craters or pushed up areas due to tree roots. I had a few scary moments, but the chair performed admirably.  Also, some of the ramps to buildings were super steep and the chair handled them without issue.

• Like 1