New Princess packages - worth it or not?

Amster12345

2 minutes ago, yamanid said:

every time you buy a drink there is 18% tax added on

So even although you have purchased the drinks package you then have the 18% to add on to your drinks    -   Gratuities included in the package are your cabin steward tips

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, yamanid said:

So even although you have purchased the drinks package you then have the 18% to add on to your drinks    -   Gratuities included in the package are your cabin steward tips

I don't think this is true.

Guest Snaxmuppet

Just checked... the 18% is not tax... it is a bar service charge and it is the equivalent of the crew incentive. I think they do this because the bar staff do not get any of the standard crew incentive.

The drinks package includes this bar service charge so there is nothing added to your bill when you get drinks on the drinks package.

This is from the FAQ...

What is included within the Premier Beverage Package?
The Premier Beverage Package includes beer, spirits, wine by the glass and cocktails $12.00 and under, all non-alcoholic drinks including bottled water (500ml only), fountain sodas, fresh juices (if available), speciality coffees and teas, Gong Cha items, Frappes at Coffee & Cones, milkshakes (if available) and Red Bull energy drinks.

Bar service charge is included in this package.

The package includes the additional benefit of a 25% discount on all bottles of wine, one litre bottles of water, canned soda and bottled juices.

A daily limit on alcoholic beverages of 15 beverages over a 24-hour period (6am to 6am) will apply.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/uk/princess-plus/

Guest Snaxmuppet

OK... so now I an completely confused... just saw this when looking more at the Plus fare... the highlighted bit at the bottom suggests that the crew incentive component for bar charges are NOT included...

So, which is it... can someone who have taken a Plus fare in the UK confirm definitely which is correct please... do we have to pay the 18% extra for bar drinks if we have the Plus fare?

Thanks

The Princess Plus all-inclusive fare includes our Premier Beverage Package, Wi-Fi & Crew Incentive on top of the full board cruise and is available on all cruises, excluding voyages that are of 1 or 2 night/s duration. The Princess Plus Fare can be removed at any time. Offers can change or be withdrawn without notice. The Premier Beverage Package is applicable to voyages and cruise fares advertised in this promotion only and age restrictions apply, and is not applicable during the land portion of cruisetours. Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update the terms and conditions of the beverage packages at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply. The Premier Coffee & Soda Package applies to all guests in a stateroom that are not eligible for the Premier Beverage Package due to age restrictions. The same terms and conditions for usage of the Premier Beverage Package apply. In the event that a guest does not want the Premier Coffee & Soda Package, no substitutions will be offered. Wi-Fi offer applies to all guests in stateroom (one device per guest). Unlimited Wi-Fi will automatically apply when guests sign in to activate. Wi-Fi does not apply to the land portion of cruisetours. Discretionary stateroom crew incentive to the value of $14.50 per person per day for Interior, Oceanview, and Balcony staterooms, $15.50 per person per day for Mini-suite and Club Class staterooms and $16.50 per person per day for Suites. Does not include crew incentive added to bar charges, dining room wine accounts or Lotus Spa services. Crew Incentive is not transferable, non-refundable and have no cash value.

Offers available to residents of the United Kingdom only.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/uk/princess-plus/

2 hours ago, yamanid said:

No. The 18% beverage gratuity is included in the package. There is no additional per drink charge. The plus fares also include the daily crew incentive (formally called the daily house keeping gratuity) with is approximately US$15/pp/day. The housekeeping amounts are separate from the beverage gratuity.   

• Like 3

Guest Snaxmuppet
7 minutes ago, skynight said:

No. The 18% beverage gratuity is included in the package.

Sorry to labour the point but just to be clear... are you saying then that if you have the Plus fare then there is no additional charge per drink... or just that if you have purchased the package as a standalone purchase that there is no additional charge per drink - the info on the Princess web site suggests that the bar charge is included if you buy the package standalone but not included if the package is part of a Plus fare?

13 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

OK... so now I an completely confused... just saw this when looking more at the Plus fare... the highlighted bit at the bottom suggests that the crew incentive component for bar charges are NOT included...

So, which is it... can someone who have taken a Plus fare in the UK confirm definitely which is correct please... do we have to pay the 18% extra for bar drinks if we have the Plus fare?

Thanks

The plus fare includes two different gratuities.

1) the daily housekeeping charge, which is now called the crew incentive. The value of the crew incentive ranges fromUS$14.50 to US$16.50/pp/day. This covers your cabin steward and others in the housekeeping department that you may see or not see.

2) The plus fare also includes the Premier Beverage Package (PBP). The PBP includes the per drink service charge of 18%. There is no per drink service charge charged per drink. If you order a drink with a menu price in excess of the $12 menu price limit you will be charged the difference plus the 18%. Example: Order a drink menu priced at $20. Your account will be charged US$8 + 18% = $9.44.

Note that over 90% of drinks on board are menu priced at $12 or under.

The 18% beverage service charge is included with the PBP when you book the plus fare. No further per drink charges are added. 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

Got it now... thanks.

I can now see what they are getting at... bar charges that are due because of purchases outside the drinks package are not covered.

It kinda makes sense now. They can't say that all bar charges are included because it is only the bar charges on drinks covered by the package that are included.

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain. I feel better now 🙂 

Guest Snaxmuppet
9 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Snaxmuppet's Terms & Conditions seem to be for United Kingdom, so could be different.

I am in the UK 🙂 

Just now, Snaxmuppet said:

I am in the UK 🙂 

Clearly - I was just pointing that out, responses did not seem to be taking that into account. I do agree that the 18% is included in Plus. I thought perhaps they were just separating general Gratuities from Bar Service Gratuities and then noted the United Kingdom statement.

27 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Clearly - I was just pointing that out, responses did not seem to be taking that into account. I do agree that the 18% is included in Plus. I thought perhaps they were just separating general Gratuities from Bar Service Gratuities and then noted the United Kingdom statement.

Price listed is in USD and excludes service charge. An 18% service charge will be applied to all itineraries excluding Australia. Purchase price may vary due to currency exchange rates. Beverage package charges are calculated based on the total number of days of your cruise. 

31 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Price listed is in USD and excludes service charge. An 18% service charge will be applied to all itineraries excluding Australia. Purchase price may vary due to currency exchange rates. Beverage package charges are calculated based on the total number of days of your cruise. 

Guest Snaxmuppet
7 minutes ago, yamanid said:

Except when your drinks are included in the Ultimate Drinks Package...

This has to be pointed out because until you understand how it works it is easy to think that the 18% is added to your bill when buying drinks within the package and it isn't added unless you get drinks not included (such as drinks over $12 or drinks beyond your 15 daily limit).

If someone on a UK cruise knows differently please let us know because this will influence whether we keep the Plus fare or downgrade to basic.

Edited by Snaxmuppet

1 minute ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Except when your drinks are included in the Ultimate Drinks Package...

This has to be pointed out because until you understand how it works it is easy to think that the 18% is added to your bill when buying drinks within the package and it isn't added unless you get drinks not included (such as drinks over $12 or drinks beyond your 15 daily limit).

Maybe if we have a drink now we will get our heads around this easier    LOL!!!!!!

• Haha 1

If you have an active booking, go into Cruise Personalizer on Princess.com.  Go into Onboard Services and see drink packages for sale.  There is a base price, but anyone booking is charged the base price + 18% gratuity (outside Aus where it is baked into the pricing).  The total cost is shown there.

When you book a PLUS fare, the PBP is included, along with Crew Incentive ("crew" does NOT include the bar staff) and internet.  The 18% bar gratuity is covered in the PLUS fare option. 

If you purchase something (a drink) costing more than $12 (base price), you are charged the difference between base prices, and you are charged 18% on that up-charge differential.  

Also, if ordering a bottle of wine under PBP, you get 25% the menu price, but you will be assessed 18% gratuity on the net cost.

Makes sense to me.